Why become a member? ×

Recommend a strap for a killer weight bass.

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys

I REALLY REALLY mean killer weight

i was in my local music shop, getting my bass cleaned, handed the guy the bass and he almost fell over, he wasn't ready for 17lbs Yamaha Attitude XD

he took it by the neck and was very surprised :)

Anyway, I've been using cheapo straps, £10 nylon things, and the leather ends break off or tear after about a month

I regularly adjust my strap length so those comfort straps are no good, unless i get a really good one i guess, i adjust usually to shift the stress. after a two hour gig my shoulder was bleeding, not nice, the strap and friction and gravity cut my shoulder up! it was like a huge graze

i have my bass around waist height, same when i sit and stand, i'm about 5ft 10" still growing though :rolleyes:

I move around a lot, i really get lost in the moment and some times its hard to find my self!

Something tough, black preferably, soft on the shoulder and spreads the weight well and is easy to adjust

Adam

You could try an Alembic strap (or Moody - they make them for Alembic) - an extremely wide, supple and strong laminated leather strap. Very expensive but a very high quality product. I don't use them because I don't use leather - I've seen them though and if you don't have the ethical problem, then they're about as good as it gets. Italia offer a similar product (the wife and husband team that was Moody split and the husband now trades as Italia).

[quote name='lozbass' post='610034' date='Sep 27 2009, 02:56 PM']You could try an Alembic strap (or Moody - they make them for Alembic) - an extremely wide, supple and strong laminated leather strap. Very expensive but a very high quality product. I don't use them because I don't use leather - I've seen them though and if you don't have the ethical problem, then they're about as good as it gets. Italia offer a similar product (the wife and husband team that was Moody split and the husband now trades as Italia).[/quote]

Italia straps are what i use for my Wals which are fairly weighty. Great product and good leather and they are doing a two for the price of one at the mo. I have not seen anything like them in this country especially the 4 inch width ones that i use. If they area bout, you will certainly pay for them!!

Steve

This guy sells 4" leather straps on eBay, tooled or otherwise made to length.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-inch-WIDE-TOOLED-LEATHER-EXTREME-BASS-GUITAR-STRAP-58_W0QQitemZ200388150016QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item2ea8108300&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-inch-WIDE-TOOLED-L...id=p3911.c0.m14[/url]

[quote name='supabock' post='610071' date='Sep 27 2009, 03:44 PM']Italia straps are what i use for my Wals which are fairly weighty. Great product and good leather and they are doing a two for the price of one at the mo. I have not seen anything like them in this country especially the 4 inch width ones that i use. If they area bout, you will certainly pay for them!!

Steve[/quote]

I recently bought an Italia leather strap - or in fact bought 'two for the price of one'. Very good straps, a 4" piece of thick high quality leather, I will sell the 2nd one at cost, if anyone is interested, as I just need one. Its the ex long black with a cream underside...