Why become a member? ×

Shuttle 9.0?!

Musicman20

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='670338' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:49 PM']Unjustified? Mind me asking why?[/quote]

I only briefly heard one, and all i could think was it sounded like every line 6 combo ive used. Im sure with tweaking you could get away from that tone though. Im also paranoid its something built in my head thats weary of fully digital amps! So i'd hate for someone to actually take my advice on it! hehe.

I found the Pre-tube really hard to push on the 9, even when I followed the guidelines off talkbass and used an active hotter input bass. I got some grit, but not enough for me. On the other hand I've heard the tube tone on the rh450 works very well, and it's inherently warm anyway.

All these micro heads are very clever, but I must admit some of them are too clinical for me. Then again I'm used to the insane sound my orange has so I think I'm always going to like the more rock orientated amps. The lm3 is pure brilliance and does warm/quick/precise really well.

I'd say it's nowt like Line 6 gear in that it does a good job of being a great conventional solid state amp with no 'digital signature' and a very healthy 450 watts indeed. It replaced my LMII with ease. I'm not a fan of Line6 'simulations' btw.

The tone is fairly warm and when you take into consideration a great tuner, multi band compressor, useable tube sim, 4 band semi-parametric and with the pedal 3 easily accessible pre-sets I think it's actually great vfm too.

Peter

[quote name='Musicman20' post='670254' date='Nov 30 2009, 06:27 PM']Unfortunately I think I managed to get unlucky and my shuttle 9 doesn't sit flat, and Genz thinks it's a chassis issue, it's definitely not the feet as I tried it the other way up and same thing. Not only that, it actually shut off at about 1/7th master volume into one 4 ohm cab. This one is being returned. The store and genz have been super helpful.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get all your money back.
Im glad you posted about the difference in tone between the LM3 and Shuttle. I think ill maybe hold off for now.

Ive only played a few other heads during the time ive had my MB heads but i too also find the MB's to be fuller and warmer than the other heads i played.
I was quite surprised at the difference between my SA450 and my GK 1001RBII when i had both at a couple of gigs. I got the GK for a bit more volume but found it actually quieter if i wanted a clean punchy sound.

Well I finally got to try my Stl 9 out today and I'm impressed so far, there's so much power there it's boardering on the absurd, but it's great to think how it will behave on a gig and how it will cut through. In stark contrast to my Epi UL502 the head is definitely cleaner and punchier, I love the warmth of the Epi and will definitely keep that head for all sorts of other gigs but seeing as I am mainly playing funk, jazz and fusion type stuff I think the GB 9 is a great all rounder for that, sure it's clean and very transparent but having put my bass through PAs and recorded it direct a lot this year the Sei basses sound so good on thier own that this amp is perfect for letting the bass' own sound shine out. The highs sound really sweet and just that bit clearer than the 502, but when I tried my Jazz out and went for a full bodied slap tone without too much top end it sounded full and rounded.

I need to gig this amp to really see what happens with it, but having just gigged my 502 on a big gig at high volume and a small pub gig at mid volume I can say that it was very warm sounded but a little bit fluffy round the edges... I guess it's all pretty subjective at the end of the day, I heard Dominique DiPiazza use his TC450 amp in London a couple of weeks ago and it did sound good but a lot of that came from his amazing playing and his top end bass, likewise I tried the MB heads out a couple of weeks back and compared them to a Shuttle 3 and to my ears there wasn't a massive difference, I do like MB but I'm not 100% about their overall sound. In short I'm happy with the S9 but now need to think about a suitable 1x12 to run it through as I'm a bit scared of just putting it through a 10", so is it going to a Berg or an Epi 1x12??? Any thoughts welcome, the Epi 2x10 sounds monster though, so I'm keeping that too!

Mike

[quote name='Musicman20' post='670380' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:24 PM']I found the Pre-tube really hard to push on the 9, even when I followed the guidelines off talkbass and used an active hotter input bass. I got some grit, but not enough for me. On the other hand I've heard the tube tone on the rh450 works very well, and it's inherently warm anyway.

All these micro heads are very clever, but I must admit some of them are too clinical for me. Then again I'm used to the insane sound my orange has so I think I'm always going to like the more rock orientated amps. The lm3 is pure brilliance and does warm/quick/precise really well.[/quote]

Sorry to hear your experiences with the Shuttle ain't been that good...

You should just wait for the 1000W version of the Terror Bass then matey!
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 500W version, just waiting to hear how it compares to the LittleMark, assuming it does well, I'll be a proud owner of one very soon!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='670827' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:30 AM']Sorry to hear that. Hope you get all your money back.
Im glad you posted about the difference in tone between the LM3 and Shuttle. I think ill maybe hold off for now.

Ive only played a few other heads during the time ive had my MB heads but i too also find the MB's to be fuller and warmer than the other heads i played.
I was quite surprised at the difference between my SA450 and my GK 1001RBII when i had both at a couple of gigs. I got the GK for a bit more volume but found it actually quieter if i wanted a clean punchy sound.[/quote]

Thanks Dave....its being sorted and with no probs. I think im going for the TC head...and then I wont need an amp for about 10 years with all the stuff I have to play with.

It has very useful features, and I think a more warm sound. The 450 watts is apparently very very honest, as in its loud loud loud, and not just a company saying its 700-800 watts when it isnt.

[quote name='eude' post='671139' date='Dec 1 2009, 02:52 PM']Sorry to hear your experiences with the Shuttle ain't been that good...

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 500W version, just waiting to hear how it compares to the LittleMark, assuming it does well, I'll be a proud owner of one very soon!

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Cheers man

I think ill wait and see what happens with the Bass Terror. Id like one....but I might wait to see if they do release the 1000W version. Then again, I think the TC will cover everything I need.

I just like the fact the TC has so much you can change, but in a very very fluid and precise way...and no useless features.

Now Ive found them at a more reasonable price, its only £50 or so more than the Shuttle if I bought that with the bag and Genz pedal.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='670827' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:30 AM']Sorry to hear that. Hope you get all your money back.

I was quite surprised at the difference between my SA450 and my GK 1001RBII when i had both at a couple of gigs. I got the GK for a bit more volume but found it actually quieter if i wanted a clean punchy sound.[/quote]

Thanks Dave....its being sorted and with no probs. I think im going for the TC head...and then I wont need an amp for about 10 years with all the stuff I have to play with.

It has very useful features, and I think a more warm sound. The 450 watts is apparently very very honest, as in its loud loud loud, and not just a company saying its 700-800 watts when it isnt.

[quote name='eude' post='671139' date='Dec 1 2009, 02:52 PM']Sorry to hear your experiences with the Shuttle ain't been that good...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Cheers man

I think ill wait and see what happens with the Bass Terror. Id like one....but I might wait to see if they do release the 1000W version. Then again, I think the TC will cover everything I need.

I just like the fact the TC has so much you can change, but in a very very fluid and precise way...and no useless features.

Now Ive found them at a more reasonable price, its only £50 or so more than the Shuttle if I bought that with the bag and Genz pedal.

Just a quick update to say I'm very happy with this amp - it really does come to life once you start pushing the tube and you can really tweak the low mids so they ping out like nothing else - like I said on my previous post compared to my (lovely sounding) Epifani 502 the clarity is shocking - I can tap notes in the lower register and they sound solid and well defined. I love the various slap tones I can get with it as well - a Marcus one can sound full and meaty, or I can go a bit more hi-fi and Wooten-ish as well - and it covers all your classic fingerstyle tones with ease as well. I've also found that when I'm in fusion-ish solo mode I can get a sweet sounding mid-range tone that really sings - sure it's smooth and precise - but that's what I want, each note is well defined and is exceptionally clear.

The good news is I have one more last minute gig that's come in next week so I will get to try it out in the live setting - I'll let you know how I get on.

If you get a chance give one of these GB S9s a go - for the size and power and masses of tone I think it's hard to beat. Obviously that's just my humble opinion... :)

Mike

Just gigged the 9 last night and it was really good - lots of tone and really punched out my low B no questions asked - for an amp this size it's pretty jaw dropping really - and at the end of the gig the amp was completely cool to the touch - it was like it was coasting along with so much more power there if I needed it.

The really cool thing is that it fits perfectly into my leather gig bag:

One seriously cool amp

M