Why become a member? ×

Which guitar multi effects????

hookys6stringbass

My guitarist wants to get a multi effects unit ..... The budget is £150 is there anything out there that would tick the following boxes??

Expressiion pedal (mainly for wah)
Amp sims as he's thinking about gigs that would be easier going in light.
decent effects.

so far we've found the Vox st which looks and sound the dogs dangles.

is there anything else you guys could recommend?

Boss GT-6B .... Not as scary to program as some would have you believe and some excellent effects and sims. One up for grabs on the for sale forum at an absolute bargain price .... get it now before it's gone

Edited by bassman2790

I know this isn't going to be what your guitarists wants to hear, but I think 'cheap' multi effects units are in my experience not the best route to take. I use the theory that if you buy say 6 quality effects pedal that sound great on their own (which is usually the multiple of sounds you find on an average multiple effects box) - even if you only spent £50 per pedal you are already up to £300 before you add anything else like intergral processing, patches, expression pedals, MIDI implementation, Amp sims etc. So for that budget, You'd be best shopping second hand at least. It sounds harsh - but you may find that cheaper multi effects boxes are plastic cased (as opposed to metal cased pedals) & are likely to break easily, have cheap power suplies with weedy cables, suffer from patch change lag or just lower quality sounds anyway.

On the flipside though, there are bargains to be had and the Boss and the line6 stuff mentioned above are cheap as chips and do break the mould a bit when it comes to quality, which is good!

The Boss ME-20B I am selling (shameless plug) is very well constructed with a lot of useful effects and 30 user patches to store your creations in. Patch switching is very fast (unlike the ME-50B I'm told) but unfortunately it doesn't have any amp simulators so not really suitable for the task in hand

The TC Electronic G-System is amazing. Great quality effects (no amp modelling, no distortion) and midi-switching capability so that you can add pedals to your effects and pre-amps. Build quality is unbelievable and it looks like it was designed by Porsche. It's easy to programme from a PC/Mac and can be used on the floor or as part of rack system. It's not designed for bass specifically but other than a few of the pitch effects and tuning the B and E strings (you have to do it with harmonics) there are no issues and I use a Korg rack tuner anyway. Doesn't come cheap and it's not the easiest thing in the world to drive at first but once you get into it and you've read the manual, it's OK.

If you're after quality of effects, ultimate versatility and bomb proof build this is the one.

[quote name='Sean' post='602963' date='Sep 19 2009, 03:15 PM']The TC Electronic G-System is amazing. Great quality effects (no amp modelling, no distortion) and midi-switching capability so that you can add pedals to your effects and pre-amps. Build quality is unbelievable and it looks like it was designed by Porsche. It's easy to programme from a PC/Mac and can be used on the floor or as part of rack system. It's not designed for bass specifically but other than a few of the pitch effects and tuning the B and E strings (you have to do it with harmonics) there are no issues and I use a Korg rack tuner anyway. Doesn't come cheap and it's not the easiest thing in the world to drive at first but once you get into it and you've read the manual, it's OK.

If you're after quality of effects, ultimate versatility and bomb proof build this is the one.[/quote]

I think TC are leaders in multi effects. I've owned the G Force and now have a TC G Major 2. The G Major v.1 can be picked up for around 250 notes second hand and even the simpler G Sharp is fantastic (at around 100 quid second hand) and certainly the first effects unit I would recommend for someone on a budget.

The Korg AX3000G can be had for about £165 and their multi FX are pretty damn good. However, I have to agree with Dood and say that individual FX are the way to go. I used to own a top of the range Digitech multi back in the day, but the best set up I ever had was individual FX which included a Fulltone Fulldrive2 and Line6 DL4 unfortunately the price of those 2 alone was £450! The best thing about individual FX is that you can change/upgrade specific parts of your FX chain as your needs change, not possible with a multi unit. Another bug bear with multi FX is that the presets are designed to sound great in shops, but are pretty much all way over the top for real world use, which means huge amounts of reprogramming only to discover you probably only need 2 or 3 patches really with very basic FX.

[quote name='ezbass' post='602973' date='Sep 19 2009, 03:41 PM']The Korg AX3000G can be had for about £165 and their multi FX are pretty damn good.[/quote]

I managed to fry my AX3000B three times, I think it just had too hot a signal going into it. Korg fixed it the first two times and the third time it was out of warranty and the repair price was more than a new one.