Why become a member? ×

Do you like your band?

Crikey!

I'm not in any band at the moment, but if I were, I'd be loving the music. But they'd also be a pack of timewasting incompetent egotistical bastards. Law of averages.

Mine has not been a happy musical life. Paypal me a tenner and cheer me up.

Edited by skankdelvar

most of the posts here seem to start "I'm in a covers band or I'm in an originals band", well I'm in both, started out as originals band but soon learnt you get more gigs and money if covers are played, so we do 2 covers and then one of ours, keeps the crowd happy and introduces them to our stuff as well, oh and we only do covers we all agree on, mostly old punky stuff like the Clash, Ramones that sort of thing, seems to work

I've got 6 gigs (not that I'm counting) with my current band and then we are calling it a day. God mates, good band but oh the agony of playing weddings after nearly 5 years of it. Couple of possible little projects in the pipeline just for fun which may, or may not come off.

Bit ambivalent about music full stop at the moment. Some days I can't imagine a life without it and start eagerly looking for a new band, other days I could quite happily never pick up a bass or play another gig again. I imagine that's not an uncommon feeling for a lot of people in fairness.

I must say these replies are interesting me no end.

I know how frustrating it is not being in a band when you want to be...

Thinking about it, i'd happily play music i didn't like, as long as i was playing bass. It's more the instrument i enjoy than the songs a lot of the time.

[quote name='midgetiser' post='602097' date='Sep 18 2009, 11:39 AM']Nope, absolutely hate it!

I play in an originals punk/grunge type band. Not hugely into punk or grunge but it was originally a favour to a friend whos old bassist was moving to england and i'd just moved to edinburgh so figured it would be a good laugh.

The guitarist can't play a regular chord (He just down tunes to D and bars the bottom 3 strings for power chords for all the songs) and the drummer can't keep a beat. Not saying i could do any better but still... All the guitarist wants me to do is play his riffs (much like RATM play the same) or play root notes. Too much effects. A lot of screeching. Terrible. Utterly terrible.

Once played a wee place called bannermans. There was a good 50 odd folk there. Within 2 songs everyone left. hahahahaa.

Gotta quit soon. Been saying that for about a year now tho haha. Can't quite seem to do it. Just bought a new bass and playing it through the semi decent amps at the practice studio at top volume is too much fun to give up![/quote]

The people probably left because they realised they were in Bannermans... so don't take it personally.

I just dream of playing in a band with one instrument or another. I'd take anything really for the fun of it as I never have done it before.

Having said that, my ambition would be to be in a really kick-ass Christian Worship band (not one of those limp ones I keep coming across in life!), and I wouldn't be really satisfied unless I was doing that.

Hmmm tricky, on the one hand I'm 'in' a band thats spread all over the south coast, that get together and record bits whenever we can. All original, would be great if I enjoyed the music more, and we could do more of it, but I love the people so its certainly not all bad.

Then there is a ropey blues covers band that I dod the odd gig with - that one we had knocked on the head cos it was really doing all our heads in (very non-commital singer) but it appears to have reaered its fugly head again for a Halloween gig :)

Finally I'm in the process of getting my own band together - first meeting/rehearsal/appraisal/writing session on Tuesday week. Cherry picked a line up of people who do funk in all sorts of bands, got them involved by stalking them mainly, and selling them on the idea of what I want the band to do. They are all dead fired up over the idea of it, which I'm not going to spill here (you would all be doing it if I did :rolleyes:) - looking to be ready to gig in 3 or 4 months max with a 9 track set. Very very excited about this one!

Haven't read much of the thread but fealt I should comment.

"Do you like your band?"
Yup most certainly. We are all as mental as each other in varying degrees.. I have all the drugs experience but they all match me on craziness.

we regularly end up staying up til 6-7 in the morning after a gig just talking mince and discussing where qnd what we want to play. I didnt get home til 6:30 this morning after a bad gig. We still went back to the singer/guitarist house for a few to discuss how bad it was and then continue to laugh about general pants til we ran out of beer.

I am 29 btw and apart from the guitarist so are the rest of the band just for a bit of perspective.

"Is this what you wana do?"

I could quite fancy a higher paid gig but listening to the general discussion of bands on here, we are all quite lucky to be as close as we are and still get gigs/sound (damn) good.

So I suppose I am just at the very level I should expect.