Why become a member? ×

Soundslive have the Sterling by Musicman range

RussFM

I played the SB14 in Guitar Center over here a couple of weeks back. Awesome. I A/B'd it with a proper Musicman Sterling that was also hanging on the wall, and the SB14 actually sounded and felt better... strange.

I want to play the Ray35. Now there's a candidate for modding - add a Status MM5 graphite neck and you'll have an absolute monster. :)

Edited by Russ

i dont like soundslive they wanted me to pay more (100-200) for a replacement of a faulty gk cab when they raised their prices during sorting things out.
arrived with a broken speaker. thought they were better than thomann:P

other than that im tempted to get one

Edited by Cybergimp109

Although they do look like nice instruments and the Ray 35 was very nice when I played it at the guitar show, I really do not see the point in buying one when a couple of quid extra will get you the real deal secondhand. I have seen really nice Stingray 5's on here for less than £799 and seen stunning Stingray 4's for £650. I suppose they are not too bad if you have to have a new instrument though......

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='NJE' post='592182' date='Sep 7 2009, 04:01 PM']Although they do look like nice instruments and the Ray 35 was very nice when I played it at the guitar show, I really do not see the point in buying one when a couple of quid extra will get you the real deal secondhand. I have seen really nice Stingray 5's on here for less than £799 and seen stunning Stingray 4's for £650. I suppose they are not too bad if you have to have a new instrument though......[/quote]

it makes no sense to me either.

[quote name='NJE' post='592182' date='Sep 7 2009, 04:01 PM']Although they do look like nice instruments and the Ray 35 was very nice when I played it at the guitar show, I really do not see the point in buying one when a couple of quid extra will get you the real deal secondhand. I have seen really nice Stingray 5's on here for less than £799 and seen stunning Stingray 4's for £650. I suppose they are not too bad if you have to have a new instrument though......[/quote]

Good point. But there's two things in favour of the 35, firstly, you can beat the feeling of walking out of a music shop with a new bass, and secondly, the 35 will be available on credit whereas a second hand Stingray will be cash all the way. Plus it was a mighty fine bass to look at, if only I could get away with the SR5 scratchplate :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='592589' date='Sep 8 2009, 12:30 AM']Good point. But there's two things in favour of the 35, firstly, you can beat the feeling of walking out of a music shop with a new bass, and secondly, the 35 will be available on credit whereas a second hand Stingray will be cash all the way. Plus it was a mighty fine bass to look at, if only I could get away with the SR5 scratchplate :)[/quote]
I assume the Ray 35 has a 35" scale, while a standard Stingray 5 is 34" is it not? If that's the case that's something of a "unique selling point".

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='592761' date='Sep 8 2009, 11:37 AM']I assume the Ray 35 has a 35" scale, while a standard Stingray 5 is 34" is it not? If that's the case that's something of a "unique selling point".[/quote]
Nope, the Ray35 is 34", just like the SR5: [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/main.html?dir=bass_ray35"]lookee here[/url].

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='592910' date='Sep 8 2009, 02:26 PM']:)
Why is it called a Ray 35 then? Weird.[/quote]
Just an unfortunate choice of model name, I guess. :rolleyes:

Similarly, there doesn't seem to be a sensible reason for the Sterling Sterling (if you get me) to be called the SB14. And as for the guitars, they're covered in seemingly irrelevant numbers: AX20, AX40, JP50 and SILO20.

i don't understand why people are saying its badly priced because of second hand stingrays? If that was the case, why would anyone buy a mid-range bass new, because there will always be a better bass second hand for the same cash?

Its like saying why buy a mim fender new when you can get a 2nd hand US one for a similar price. People like having new instruments, and the warranty that they come with.

I repeat what i said, they have price the instruments well, IMO :)