Why become a member? ×

My magical voyage of bass discovery

TDM

I stayed in Durham last night, so this morning I went a little further up the road to Newcastle to go to a few shops with Guitar Guitar in particular, make of it what you will:

Sadowsky - "Underwhelming" would be the best word to describe this. The UVs were nice basses but for almost 2k? Nowhere near as good as I thought. Granted, it may be partly down to shop setup (They were all completely out of tune, slightly high action etc) but considering the hype around Sadowskys and my love for Jazz style basses I would have expected it to blow me away. Instead I find that I don't like any of the neck profiles and the tone pretty average.

The Modern 24 5 string was even worse, considering I've lusted after one of those for years. The B string was terrible - had no definition whatsoever and the tone left much to be desired. The only really positive thing I can say about my experience with Sadowskys is that the materials used look like they're great quality. The ash on the bodies had nice grain and as did the rosewood on the fretboards. Plus I couldn't fault the construction at all - flawless inlays and binding, tight neck joints etc.

Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 (used) - This was also a serious disappointment. It was used but if anything that says even more about the construction. The 3 piece Ovangkol neck seemed to be coming apart slightly - perhaps due to differences in humidity or something? I could feel the unevenness between the 3 pieces of wood when playing. Neck joint wasn't very tight front to back but was acceptable around the edges. For a high end German made instrument the woods used weren't great either. The flame maple top wasn't very well figured. If the body was solid maple that'd be understandable, but it was just a thin top. The bass felt solid in the hands and resonated alot. I guess I just played a bad one - probably why it got part EX'd anyway? Also, what's with the new Warwick nut? By the looks of it the only contact between the nut and headstock is two tiny screws?!

Rickenbacker 4001 C64 (didn't have binding or triangle inlays?) Really nice bass. Didn't feel any of the ergonomics issues that other people have mentioned, with the exception of the rather cool looking but unreasonably large bridge pickup cover. The electronics were a bit scratchy but I think it's been in the shop for a long time. Didn't get a chance to have a go with a pick but I imagine it would have sounded awesome - couldn't resist playing some Rush and Yes. This is officially the most expensive bass I've ever seen, held or played - almost £3k?

EBMM SR5 - Awesome bass. Loved the feel of it - great B string (on par with my Spector) only complaint would be the pickup design - the sides are curved so resting my thumb there didn't feel quite right.

Fender Deluxe Jazz fretless - No "mwah" at all, in fact it sounded rather similar to it's fretted counterpart. No other complaints. I really want a set of flatwounds for my jazz now!

Disclaimer - comments about tone are subjective, obviously as I didn't test the basses through multiple amps

Maybe I'm subconsciously telling myself I don't like Sadowskys to save myself money. :)

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='thedonutman' post='587965' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:02 PM']I stayed in Durham last night, so this morning I went a little further up the road to Newcastle to go to a few shops with Guitar Guitar in particular, make of it what you will:

Sadowsky - "Underwhelming" would be the best word to describe this. The UVs were nice basses but for almost 2k? Nowhere near as good as I thought. Granted, it may be partly down to shop setup (They were all completely out of tune, slightly high action etc) but considering the hype around Sadowskys and my love for Jazz style basses I would have expected it to blow me away. Instead I find that I don't like any of the neck profiles and the tone pretty average.

The Modern 24 5 string was even worse, considering I've lusted after one of those for years. The B string was terrible - had no definition whatsoever and the tone left much to be desired. The only really positive thing I can say about my experience with Sadowskys is that the materials used look like they're great quality. The ash on the bodies had nice grain and as did the rosewood on the fretboards. Plus I couldn't fault the construction at all - flawless inlays and binding, tight neck joints etc.

Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 (used) - This was also a serious disappointment. It was used but if anything that says even more about the construction. The 3 piece Ovangkol neck seemed to be coming apart slightly - perhaps due to differences in humidity or something? I could feel the unevenness between the 3 pieces of wood when playing. Neck joint wasn't very tight front to back but was acceptable around the edges. For a high end German made instrument the woods used weren't great either. The flame maple top wasn't very well figured. If the body was solid maple that'd be understandable, but it was just a thin top. The bass felt solid in the hands and resonated alot. I guess I just played a bad one - probably why it got part EX'd anyway? Also, what's with the new Warwick nut? By the looks of it the only contact between the nut and headstock is two tiny screws?!

Rickenbacker 4001 C64 (didn't have binding or triangle inlays?) Really nice bass. Didn't feel any of the ergonomics issues that other people have mentioned, with the exception of the rather cool looking but unreasonably large bridge pickup cover. The electronics were a bit scratchy but I think it's been in the shop for a long time. Didn't get a chance to have a go with a pick but I imagine it would have sounded awesome - couldn't resist playing some Rush and Yes. This is officially the most expensive bass I've ever seen, held or played - almost £3k?

EBMM SR5 - Awesome bass. Loved the feel of it - great B string (on par with my Spector) only complaint would be the pickup design - the sides are curved so resting my thumb there didn't feel quite right.

Fender Deluxe Jazz fretless - No "mwah" at all, in fact it sounded rather similar to it's fretted counterpart. No other complaints. I really want a set of flatwounds for my jazz now!

Disclaimer - comments about tone are subjective, obviously as I didn't test the basses through multiple amps

Maybe I'm subconsciously telling myself I don't like Sadowskys to save myself money. :)[/quote]

Dont worry, this is EXACTLY what happened to me with the Sadowsky. I craved the UV...but I was underwhelmed. My new 09 USA Fender Jazz gives me my dream tone at less than half the price. Weird, isnt it?! I put a thread up about this a few weeks back.

Their USA Fender Jazz 75 Reissue was totally different...VERY impressed. Lots lighter too.

I still dont understand it...I just think im more of a passive guy unless its a Stingray.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='588068' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:09 PM']WOW im really suprised to hear this about Sadowsky...maybe there having a few quality issues..[/quote]

hahahahahahahaha!

errrrrm yeah...like that would happen, lol

i think people have to understand that Sadowsky's aren't for everyone. Its almost like saying everybody should like the same food, drink, cars, clothes, etc etc we all have different tastes :)

The hype that surrounds them has got a little ridiculous, making everyone believe playing a Sadowsky will be a life changing experience. For some it is, others expect too much and also expect instant results, take a Sadowsky out of a shop and play it at a gig or two to find out what they're really about tone wise!

At the end of the day though, they are just a bass, but put together with a little more care than most and with regards to the tone ,Roger himself admits that his basses DO NOT sound like Fenders, they sound like Sadowsky's

So if your looking for the ultimate fender jazz sound you need to buy a fender, if your looking for a more modern twist on the fender sound then Sadowsky is one of many options out there :rolleyes:

[quote name='thedonutman' post='587965' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:02 PM']... it may be partly down to shop setup (They were all completely out of tune, slightly high action etc)...[/quote]
[quote name='thedonutman' post='587965' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:02 PM']Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 (used) - This was also a serious disappointment. It was used but if anything that says even more about the construction. The 3 piece Ovangkol neck seemed to be coming apart slightly - perhaps due to differences in humidity or something? I could feel the unevenness between the 3 pieces of wood when playing.[/quote]
I think there might be a nasty environmental problem (heat/humidity/whatever) with that shop. I'm pretty sure it doesn't help the Sadowskys to be hanging in the window all the time, where they'll get a nice burst of strong, hot sun every morning.

And I played that FNA a few weeks ago. I mentioned the neck problem in another thread, and the original owner PMd me. He'd never had a problem with the neck, so it may well have arisen while it's been in GuitarGuitar. Are they still looking for £700 for it (reduced from £800!)? I'd say that's pretty optimistic for a used Warwick with a problem.

As for Sadowskys in general, I had a noodle on one a few weeks back (not in GuitarGuitar, though). It felt awesome to play, and really light with it. Then I plugged it in, and realised the sound's just not me at all. Horses for courses. I'm with you on the SR5 thing. Mmmm-mmmm-mmmmmmmm.

I had a very similar experience at the Gallery in Camden the other week. I played four different Sadowsky models and although they were all undeniably very nice basses, none of them could hold a torch sound wise or playability wise to my 09 Fender American Standard jazz. So yes, I was disappointed too, but it doesn't mean they're bad basses. It's just that the current US Fenders are amazing if you can find a really good one.

A lot of it can be down to the setup as well. If I had money to throw around, I'd buy a set of DR 40-100 strings and throw them onto any jazz bass I tried & set it up properly. There are a few places where they know me very well and just hand me the tools, LOL.

Best bass of the day at the Gallery was a £260 Squire Classic Vibe Jazz. Go figure.

Rich.

I agree about the sun issue. Its blazing on the Sadowskys, the Aguilar amps/cabs and the TC Electronics gear.

I would not want to buy anything thats been sat in some of this heat weve been having....plus, why put the most expensive basses in the most dangerous place?!

They are a dream to play, not my thing when plugged in.

SR5....I agree....love em!

• 1 year later...