Why become a member? ×

I seem to have come over all vintage!

molan

So this may come as a bit of a surprise to those of you who know me and/or have seen my various trading exploits over the past year.

I've always admired the look of classic Fenders but have always preferred the flexibility, build quality, general playability and, more importantly, sound of more modern basses.

However I picked up a USA '75 J RI a while back in a trade & really enjoyed playing it. Came close to a trade on a genuine natural finish '78 J and have been quietly looking out for something similar since.

Meanwhile I've also noticed that I've been rolling off treble frequencies a lot recently whilst noodling around at home and quite enjoying a much more traditional sound.

So end result is. . .

I've gone out and agreed a deal on WoT's '72, mostly original, sunburst Precision with maple board AND a really pretty looking '78 Jazz that's been refinished in a very nice nitro blue with a maple board and a lovely set of Lollar vintage wound pickups - both deals done on the same day :rolleyes:

Is this the beginning of a new era?

Pics of Wot's P are in the for sale section so I've just attached some samples of the blue J :)

I think you might like these (and I'm more than a bit envious!) I had a bit of a shock after a year of playing boutique basses almost exclusively - I went back to my old ('70s) Jazz and it's stonking. Beat up, too heavy, 'get a whole set of feeler gauges down the neck pocket - but it just sits there in its case in all its glorious simplicity and blows your head off whenever you drag it out. 70s Fenders get a lot of really bad press but I'm a big fan - 'sure, there are bad ones, but in general, with a good set-up, they can play as well as anything out there, sound better than most of it, and then there's the cool factor! IMO opinion, two very good buys for Molan!

[quote name='Josh' post='587093' date='Sep 2 2009, 01:45 AM']I bet your active basses must feel a little threatened :lol:[/quote]

Nah, Barrie has a Sadowsky outboard pre like mine - No fear of that!

But all this classic Fender love is nice. Great when you find a nice one. I played a '63 jazz at the Gallery the other week. It was nice enough, but still not worth £4500 any day of the week!

Quite happy with my new and shiny jazz, thank you very much :) (For the time being...)

Very nice looking jazz though, Barrie :rolleyes:

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Josh' post='587093' date='Sep 2 2009, 01:45 AM']I bet your active basses must feel a little threatened :rolleyes:[/quote]

Actually - if you look closely you might spot there's an extra control plate with the '78 J. It's an Audere pre that the seller is throwing in as part of the offer :)

The best bit is guess who's getting his Fender 75 RI??? Yep .... me. My dream bass finally :):):rolleyes: Everyones happy, apart from my Darryl Jones who I guess is feeling a little threatened.

Awaits Dave_Bass5 to fall off his chair at the shock of me buying a Fender Jazz and not playing my Lakland :lol:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='587193' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:22 AM']Now that's interesting. The guy I bought the old SII from in the Wirral had a Geddy Lee with the Audere pre installed. That sounded amazing! Get it installed, mate :)[/quote]He now has a Status neck attatched to it and it is a killer bass, oh, and it has DiMarzios in it too. :rolleyes: