Why become a member? ×

cubase?

TGEvans

Cubase has never not been able to do what I want it to so I am perfectly happy with it. I know Pro-Tools is the industry standard but, for home recording, Cubase delivers although I would argue that a lot of IT based systems are more sophisticated than the people using them and that many of the shortcomings that are revealed are as much to do with those people as the technology.

[quote name='TGEvans' post='586997' date='Sep 1 2009, 10:10 PM']i have started using cubase at home,happy with the results.how does it compare to other packages?like pro tools or other similar ones?t[/quote]

I've tended to stick with Cakewalk's Sonar which has always been very good. Protools is basically the industry standard but last time I looked you needed a Mac to use it in full (as the Windows version was a cut down version if I recall). Cubase appears to have become a bit of a Windows standard DAW.

In truth they all pretty much do the same things but if you were looking to do audio production in a studio you'd probably be expected to use Protools. If you're just recording for yourself, Cubase or Sonar do everything you probably need.

+ To all above.
For recording/writing they are all pretty much the same these days.
If you like Cubase and have the time, read up on it or watch the vids.
plenty on you tube.
Its not so much the DAWS these days, but keeping your PC up to scratch.
And a Decent Audio/sound card or interface.

Dont go down the road of looking for the holy grail of sequencers,
Learn what you have, and invest the time in making Music!

Hans zimmer [amongst others]writes his mock ups in Cubase.
And they use PC's running Nuendo [ big brother of Cubase- same Audio engine] for the live TV recordings
At the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.
And i think Steely Dan used Nuendo [for some of the stuff] on their last couple of Albums.
So you are in good company... :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Pro Tools is known as the "industry standard" but that doesn't necessarily make it the best application. As said above, it would be good to know how to use it if you want to be a pro. You don't need a mac, but you do have to run it on mac OS and I beleive you have to have some digidesign hardware?

I use Cubass and have been happy with it for a long time.

Most of the popular DAWS are of much the same stranded, it is the sound card / audio interface that determines the quality as well as the quality of the microphones and pre amps also the acoustic environment.
I have Pro tools Le and Cubase but end up using cubase most of the time becouse I know it quite well.
also Cubase seem more stable on PC but the thing that really puts me off Pro Tools is that unless you buy the big one it lacks plug in delay compensation so your tracks can go out of time when using lots or complex plugins.
If you are worried you are missing out on something don't be, the results are down to you not the program

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As others have said, all the big 'name' sequencers/DAWs are just as capable as each other really, and unless you're going pro as a recording engineer (in which case you'll NEED to learn Pro Tools) then you can get by with any. I'm a long time Cubase user, mostly just out of familiarity. I've thought about learning the others, but my days of trying to blag a studio job are sadly behind me, and Cubase does everything I need it to, so I'm sticking with what I know!!