Why become a member? ×

New to Forum and London

Mr Wilson

Hi guys,

Since I have gotten to London from Australia I have been following this forum and love it! It has just about everything I need. I have moved over from Australia just to mix things up. I was getting a little too comfortable in Adelaide where I am from so I thought a trip to the other side of the world would do the trick. Back home I played in original and cover bands and was slowly gathering up a lot of gear (I think GAS is the term you use)

I have a fender jazz bass, Yamaha TRB, Aguilar DB750 with Aguilar 4x10, Eden Nemesis combo 2x10, Digitech synth wah, Ibanez synth, Ebs Octave pedal, a wooly mammoth copy pedal and a tech 21 sans amp. Well I have all that gear in storage in australia, but over here just have one bass. 6 string Raven West Guitar. (saw it on ebay and I like to try new things so I just bought it. Its a lot of fun and a whole new challenge.

I have a feeling though I should have bought my Jazz bass over or bought a P bass cause it seems to be the sound over in london! ( only from what I have seen could be totally wrong) Anyway no matter

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for jam nights or other ways to meet the local musicians. I want to get back into it! Anyway thank you and keep up the good work with the forum.

ps Does anyone lug there gear around on public transport only here or is it vital to have a car?

Welcome Mr Wilson :)

As regards Jam nights, you're in the right place for them - probably more going on in and around London than anywhere else in the UK. Some of the good ones will be out in the 'burbs, so be prepared to travel a bit. You'll find musos on various websites - bandmix, musofinder, joinmyband, gumtree and many others - plus most music shops, rhsal rooms have pinboards with ads. Although much maligned, it might be worth checking out the shops in Denmark for ads.

Taking a bass on public transport shouldn't be a problem, but you may wish to exercise caution on London night buses - matters can sometimes get a little frisky. Rail and Underground's generally OK, but don't miss the last train.

Viz: your possible need for a P or a J - there are examples at all price points passing through the BC [i]Marketplace - Basses For Sale[/i] section all the time. Cheaper than the bay or shops, and you get to meet nice people.

Edited by skankdelvar

If you're lugging gear around on public transport, it can be done with the right gear. I've done it with a bass in a gig bag over one shoulder, Pedaltrain Jr/Mini in a soft case over the other, and a Markbass CMD121P amp on a little folding trolley. But a car is certainly the way to go if you're gigging / practicing a lot!

Which part of London have you landed in?

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='579311' date='Aug 24 2009, 04:59 PM']Welcome Mr Wilson :)

As regards Jam nights, you're in the right place for them - probably more going on in and around London than anywhere else in the UK. Some of the good ones will be out in the 'burbs, so be prepared to travel a bit. You'll find musos on various websites - bandmix, musofinder, joinmyband, gumtree and many others - plus most music shops, rhsal rooms have pinboards with ads. Although much maligned, it might be worth checking out the shops in Denmark for ads.

Taking a bass on public transport shouldn't be a problem, but you may wish to exercise caution on London night buses - matters can sometimes get a little frisky. Rail and Underground's generally OK, but don't miss the last train.

Viz: your possible need for a P or a J - there are examples at all price points passing through the BC [i]Marketplace - Basses For Sale[/i] section all the time. Cheaper than the bay or shops, and you get to meet nice people.[/quote]

That is good news about the jam nights, I actually found one at the Elm Tree pub. Was delayed by 2 hours cause they had the football on but once it got started the house band was good. I think next time I might sign up and have a go! I am willing to travel around if there is a good night to be had!
Also thankyou for the website I will have a look.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='579320' date='Aug 24 2009, 05:05 PM']If you're lugging gear around on public transport, it can be done with the right gear. I've done it with a bass in a gig bag over one shoulder, Pedaltrain Jr/Mini in a soft case over the other, and a Markbass CMD121P amp on a little folding trolley. But a car is certainly the way to go if you're gigging / practicing a lot!

Which part of London have you landed in?[/quote]

Ha ha definately will be practising a lot at the moment! I haven't really got much of an idea how many gigs are going on in town!
I have landed in Fulham SW. So I am surrounded in public transport if the opportunity to gig came up!
MarkBass seems to be a popular amp over in the UK. It has been slowly trying to break it in Australia! I am actually interested in what there effect pedals are going to be like

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='580049' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:02 PM']Welcome :) I know a guitarist from Adelaide who has been in Guilford and who has moved to London also recently. Would you like an introduction? They're looking for jam nights as well.[/quote]

sure chances are we have meet before adelaide being one of those places! Or at the very least we both know someone from adelaide :rolleyes: