Why become a member? ×

Cab suggestions

Roob

Although I believe that amp is 500+500, not 1000W, so you can either run one cab on each channel, or both on one channel. Not a huge difference in performance either way and the amp will be running happily within its limits. Though if you're about to give anyone any money for a Behringer cab I would have something to say...

Alex

Hurrah! No smoke displays for me.

I already have the Behringer cab, but may be tempted to change it for something a bit nicer. I'm thinking ashdown ABM, I like how they sound.

If it's 375 a side for an 8ohm cab, then would I need a cab to handle above that to be safe? I.e. running a 300watt cab might result in damage if I push it too hard?

[quote name='Roob' post='573388' date='Aug 18 2009, 07:59 PM']If it's 375 a side for an 8ohm cab, then would I need a cab to handle above that to be safe? I.e. running a 300watt cab might result in damage if I push it too hard?[/quote]

No. If it starts making bad noises turn down or reduce your lows, regardless of the power ratings.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='573422' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:27 PM']No. If it starts making bad noises turn down or reduce your lows, regardless of the power ratings.

Alex[/quote]

Good policy there.

Budget is about £400 atm to get myself sorted. Hence Little Giant at £300ish was a tempting idea. Could always save a bit more tho. What would be your suggestion? :)

[quote name='Roob' post='573527' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:48 PM']....Budget is about £400 atm to get myself sorted. Hence Little Giant at £300ish was a tempting idea. Could always save a bit more tho. What would be your suggestion?....[/quote]
Look through the For Sale section. There's an Ampeg SVT3, SWR amp and cab, Ashdown, Hartke; lots of good stuff.

[quote name='Roob' post='573527' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:48 PM']Good policy there.

Budget is about £400 atm to get myself sorted. Hence Little Giant at £300ish was a tempting idea. Could always save a bit more tho. What would be your suggestion? :)[/quote]

Although it depends what sound you are after....

There is an Ashdown ABM 500w 4x10 combo in the for sale section @ £350 that might be worth a look.

If it's the one i'm thinking of, I almost bought it, but someone else got there before me :) I was looking at Outshined's sale.

I'm pretty much after the Ashdown sound. I use a Mag300 4x10 combo at the practice rooms, and it works brilliantly. So anything like that would work well. Hence why I like the ABM 400 head I tried.

Hmm, so many choices :rolleyes:

I'll be honest, i've no idea if the LG sounds anything like the ABM/MAG. I should try one I know, but have yet to find one anywhere to have a play with :|

Looking at the LH500, that looks quite nice. I remember seeing a guy live with a full Hartke setup, and I loved the sound. Again, unless I can find one to try though, i'm having to go on other peoples opinions / experiences.

Thanks for the advice, going to need to have a think about this one.

Oh one more thing. When i tried the Ashdown ABM400 115, with the ABM 400 head and the Behringer, at higher volumes, i.e. 3/4 or more on the input and output dials, I noticed I was starting to lose the clean bass sound I got with less volume. Which cab do you think was giving out first? The Ashdown because it's rated to 400w (same as head) or the Behringer because...well it's not a fantastic cab (but it is rated to 600w). Either that or it was just the sound of the shop shaking that made it hard to hear :).

[quote name='Roob' post='574521' date='Aug 19 2009, 06:01 PM']Oh one more thing. When i tried the Ashdown ABM400 115, with the ABM 400 head and the Behringer, at higher volumes, i.e. 3/4 or more on the input and output dials, I noticed I was starting to lose the clean bass sound I got with less volume. Which cab do you think was giving out first? The Ashdown because it's rated to 400w (same as head) or the Behringer because...well it's not a fantastic cab (but it is rated to 600w). Either that or it was just the sound of the shop shaking that made it hard to hear :).[/quote]

Could be either but probably both - neither of those cabs can stay clean in the lows at anywhere near their rated power.

Alex

Thanks Alex, that clears up a few things.

I've listened to a couple of video's of the Hartke Hydrives, I'm really starting to fall for them. Perhaps it's worth saving my pennys and going for a nice LH500 with a HX115, and perhaps a HX410? Although would prefer a 2x10 for transport purposes.

I know a place that definately has Hydrives, so might go for a play at the w/e.

Whereabouts are you Roob?

I've got a Hartke VX215 cab for sale at £90. I'm near Blackpool

It's 2x15" paper cones with horn, rated at 500w @ 4ohms. It's a bit big to post (although not really that heavy) so i think it might be better collected

EDIT: Or just buy this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58089"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58089[/url]

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='alexclaber' post='575796' date='Aug 20 2009, 05:01 PM']If your budget is heading up to that region I know quite a few bassists on here sing the praises of the LH500 with a certain lightweight 15" cab...

Alex

P.S. See signature below! :)[/quote]

I am one of those very people, although i've gone for the higher models (LH1000 and Barefaced Big One).

You can't go wrong with the LH500 and a compact.

Well...I tried the LH500 and Hydrive 115, and it has completely changed my opinion of other brands. I'm sold. Its so easy to get the sound I was after with that (and the power...oh my), whereas I felt like I was fiddling most of the time by comparison with the Ashdown kit.

Alex - Is there much of a waiting list on your compact at the moment?

Lemmywinks - I'm in Ipswich, couldn't be further away! Also investigating whether I have a car big enough to fit the VX215 in! Fiat 500 or Mazda RX-8 to choose from...neither very suitable :).

Edited by Roob

Picked up a LH500 this morning, plumbed it into my Behringer...wow...even on a less than superb cab like that it sounds fantastic, highly reccomended! Girlfriend was complaining her desk was shaking upstairs :rolleyes:

Now for the 115 :)...

Edited by Roob

• 2 weeks later...

Little update, did 1 practice with it and it sounded good, although still need time to get it dialed in suitably with the rest of the band.

Second practice it died on me. I had power, as the light was on for the power switch, but no sound at all. Plugged in the MAG300 they had there and problem went. No idea whats wrong, will have a fiddle and take it back to the shop if I have no luck.

Anyone else ever had reliability issues with Hartke?