Why become a member? ×

What amplifier would you recommend for £200?

Spinner

Hi there,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, or if this gets asked frequently! I'm actually asking this on behalf of a friend who's, all being well, going to become a bassist. I helped him pick out and win a used Fender P-Bass (Mexican, I'm afraid) from eBay; he now needs an amplifier to go with it.

He'd like to spend about £200. I'm guessing a tube amp will be right out of his range, but in the current market, what could he realistically expect to get for his money? Used is acceptable. I was thinking an Ampeg B-100R but as a piano/Hammond player, I'm out of my area of expertise (not that that's particularly large anyway!).

Could some of you give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Spinner

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='572349' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:12 PM']save up the £99 more and get an Hartke LH500[/quote]

+1

Though it will depend on what he needs it for - if its just practice he could get away with less power and get a decent combo. If playing gigs with a band though, i'd go for the LH500. Does he already have a cab or is that required from the same budget?

Mate of mine is thinking of selling his Peavey Combo - its a 210TX I think. Probably made early/mid 90's in the USA-solid build.
200 watts into 2x10 speakers, 300 watts if you add another 4 ohm cab. Got a graphic,compressor etc.
Loud as hell and in excellent nick too. Reckon he'll want just under £200 for it.
Drop me a PM if you're interested and will chase it up.

[quote name='Spinner' post='572313' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:54 PM']Hi there,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, or if this gets asked frequently! I'm actually asking this on behalf of a friend who's, all being well, going to become a bassist. I helped him pick out and win a used Fender P-Bass (Mexican, I'm afraid)

He'd like to spend about £200. I'm guessing a tube amp will be right out of his range, but in the current market, what could he realistically expect to get for his money? Used is acceptable. I was thinking an Ampeg B-100R but as a piano/Hammond player, I'm out of my area of expertise (not that that's particularly large anyway!).

Could some of you give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Spinner[/quote]

A mexican P bass is nothing to be ashamed of, it will serve your friend very well untill he wants to change for something different.
I used to watch a guy called Alan Jones who played with the shadows in the 70s play a cheap encore precision bass, and he played and sounded better than most of the other bass players I have ever seen.

No doubt I will get shot down, but I would look on ebay for second hand peavey. Its built to last, reliable, and its cheap compared to some of the exotica mentioned on here. You need to look at transport etc but if you can I would look for a seperate head and cab because it will allow you to add or change as you progress. I dont know if you can acheive at that price

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='casapete' post='573611' date='Aug 18 2009, 10:54 PM']Mate of mine is thinking of selling his Peavey Combo - its a 210TX I think. Probably made early/mid 90's in the USA-solid build.
200 watts into 2x10 speakers, 300 watts if you add another 4 ohm cab. Got a graphic,compressor etc.
Loud as hell and in excellent nick too. Reckon he'll want just under £200 for it.
Drop me a PM if you're interested and will chase it up.[/quote]

Like this one,

Its a cracker But very heavy, I use all Early Peavey stuff!

Had it up for sale a few weeks back pud decided to use it again, Just got an Ex OMD flightcase for it (What a beast!)

Cheers

Justin!

Used Ashdown and Peavey gear usually get the nod for the sort of money you're looking at spending (though people seem to have a love/hate relationship with the Ashdowns). Roland gear might be worth looking into second hand as well.

I've not heard the Ampeg, but was considering the B200R for a while. I decided it was too expensive at the time, but prices seem to have dropped considerably.

Up until last year I was playing a mexican P through an Ampeg B100 Rocket for nearly 5 years on the trot, doing 20-50 pub-type gigs & jams a year with t'band and depping. Neither ever let me down - ever. The rocket copes brilliantly and once the P was set up properly I couldn't have been happier.
I still use it now - albeit for the bigger gigs I take a line out to a Peavey 400W powered sub and set the rocket to give me the mids and highs and the sub to give me 35-400Hz area and the whole lot really does the trick for me and my guitarist loves it because it appears I'm way below his area.
The only thing other I did was to stick a Hartke Bass Attack footswitch between the two, to allow me to fatten and shape the sound, and that gives me everything I want. Having moved to Marshall bass and subsequently moved back ( but that's another story) earlier this year, I have literally just splashed out on a shuttle set up - but I can't recommend the rocket highly enough.

gicut58

Thanks for all your replies! I'll discuss with my friend and he'll come to a decision, I expect.

So far the main suggestions have beene:

Peavey 210TX
Ampeg B100-R
Fender Rumble 100

The only thing is I haven't seen an Ampeg B100-R on eBay for a while now, but I'll keep looking.

Any other additions? Any order of preference to them?

Thanks for all the PMs as well - I'll have to discuss offers with my friend.

@BurritoBass: Thanks for the reassurance, I thought a Mexican was probably fine for him but I know that American Fenders tend to have a better reputation for whatever reason. We're not particularly loud, we play 60s and 70s blues/rock.

Edited by Spinner

[quote name='Spinner' post='574611' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:26 PM']So far the main suggestions have beene:

Peavey 210TX
Ampeg B100-R
Fender Rumble 100

The only thing is I haven't seen an Ampeg B100-R on eBay for a while now, but I'll keep looking.

@BurritoBass: Thanks for the reassurance, I thought a Mexican was probably fine for him but I know that American Fenders tend to have a better reputation for whatever reason. We're not particularly loud, we play 60s and 70s blues/rock.[/quote]

You're welcome - the Ampeg BA115 is alright too. I was ready to love the Fender Rumble & was really disappointed. Ampeg are much better with solid state than Fender

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='574634' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:48 PM']If you're after Peavey hows about my TNT combo I have for sale here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27227"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27227[/url][/quote]

That's just the job. Amazingly loud for the wattage as well. And depreciation already done!

Alex