Why become a member? ×

Synth pedals

Cornfedapache

It's because they're hard to do right, it's not easy to design a great sounding easy to use pedal that also has great tracking. Also because they have (or at least used to have, I think they're becoming more popular now) limited market potential, hence 2 of the best synths out there, the Deep Impact and Korg G5 being discontinued a long time ago.

i think you need to take synth pedals for what they are. if you want the sound of a novation bassstation or a moog, then use a bassstation or a moog.

i like my boss syb-3 for the slightly messed-up synth sound it gives, but it aint no synth.

mind you - i've not used expensive pedals like a deep impact so i would know about how they work. but then...for the price of a deep impact......i'd just buy a synth

I used to own a Deep Impact, long time ago, and sold it for £50. Which was really silly!

I bought last week an EHX Bass Micro Synth after seeing some cool stuff on YouTube. For the first few days I was concerned it was faulty. farty noises, huge decay on the notes... but I'm starting to understand they are just very complex and sensitive units. I am now getting some seriously awesome sounds out of it. If this is the starting point for what's to come from this unit... then it f'ing rocks!!!

I dont think there is enough usable clean sounds on them,they do tend to sound very raw. I have used a few but until something comes out that can make me sound like a korg wavestation or novation super nova i leave it to VSTs. Its a shame because i would love to be able to layer big spacy pads down with my bass loop them and then play over them.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='570102' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:17 PM']I used to own a Deep Impact, long time ago, and sold it for £50. Which was really silly!

I bought last week an EHX Bass Micro Synth after seeing some cool stuff on YouTube. For the first few days I was concerned it was faulty. farty noises, huge decay on the notes... but I'm starting to understand they are just very complex and sensitive units. I am now getting some seriously awesome sounds out of it. If this is the starting point for what's to come from this unit... then it f'ing rocks!!![/quote]

How do you rate the ehx against the Deep Impact?

I have a Deep Impact and I've had thoughts of changing it for another synth...

I'd say in terms of the amount of sounds available they are about the same. The deep impact has the HUGE bonus that once you find a good sound you can save it, along with a few (9 if I recall???) and use them during a gig by cycling through them with the foot switch. The EHX is one sound, then change all your settings for another sound, but I do find you can fine tune a specific sound a little better.

Having said that, the EHX does cut though much better and it doesn't suck your tone like I used to find the Deep Impact did.

If you have a Deep Impact though, I would be reluctant to swap it for anything that is not bloody fantastic as getting another one if you change your mind will be no easy task!

P.S. EHX definitely has the better Octaver sound!