Why become a member? ×

The Perception of Bass Players

bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='60295' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:57 AM']With one of my old bands I had to arrive an hour late for band practise. When I came in, the lead vocalis ran up to me and hugged me saying how he missed me and didn't realise how bad it all sounds without bass.[/quote]
+1. Experienced the same thing, without the hug though.

Take it on the chin. Most people don't really understand how music works. They know what a guitar is because they've seen one up close and maybe once played "My Bonny Lies Over The Ocean" on it when they were 9 at school. The bass is an altogether different beast, a strange 4 stringed thing played by a fat bloke who doesn't want to take a solo every 8 bars.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='60520' date='Sep 14 2007, 06:19 PM']Take it on the chin. Most people don't really understand how music works. They know what a guitar is because they've seen one up close and maybe once played "My Bonny Lies Over The Ocean" on it when they were 9 at school. The bass is an altogether different beast, a strange 4 stringed thing played by a fat bloke who doesn't want to take a solo every 8 bars.[/quote]
it amazes me not only how other musicians wont understand the bass does but how they think they do. (other musicians being guitarists) If i was looking for a new band the first thing i would be interested in after do the people here have anything that excite me is 'is the guitarest a wayne kerr'?

im nae fat either

My band's going through a big hoo hah at the moment over the way one of the backing vocalists who's been with us 4 weeks spoke to me at rehearsal. In a nutshell, she was extremely condescending to me and said that I couldn't be expected to learn the part in question as quickly as the keyboard player because I'm "just a bassist", she then told everyone they had to be patient with the non-musicians in the band.

The week before the other backing vocalist commented on how novel it was that I read music, to which the first one said that bass music is much easier to read than "proper" music. I kept my mouth shut at the time but it has since become an issue and it looks like she'll be out the door very soon.

If she'd have been a bloke I'd have punched his lights out - it's a shame I'm not an equal rights bassist really!

[quote name='hipbass' post='61244' date='Sep 16 2007, 05:20 PM']As a freelancer for the past 30 years, I think I can say that in reality,the Bassmeister is generally accepted the one who "holds it all together", MOST drummists would be lost without the innate sense of time inherent in an experienced pro bassist...[Apologies to Vinnie,Steve,Jeff,Bonzo et al][/quote]
...................................p.s.I almost became an accountant in the 70's!

[quote name='Sean' post='60955' date='Sep 15 2007, 08:05 PM']My band's going through a big hoo hah at the moment over the way one of the backing vocalists who's been with us 4 weeks spoke to me at rehearsal. In a nutshell, she was extremely condescending to me and said that I couldn't be expected to learn the part in question as quickly as the keyboard player because I'm "just a bassist", she then told everyone they had to be patient with the non-musicians in the band.

The week before the other backing vocalist commented on how novel it was that I read music, to which the first one said that bass music is much easier to read than "proper" music. I kept my mouth shut at the time but it has since become an issue and it looks like she'll be out the door very soon.

If she'd have been a bloke I'd have punched his lights out - it's a shame I'm not an equal rights bassist really![/quote]

Punch her anyway. Emotionally.

[quote name='Sean' post='60955' date='Sep 15 2007, 08:05 PM']My band's going through a big hoo hah at the moment over the way one of the backing vocalists who's been with us 4 weeks spoke to me at rehearsal. In a nutshell, she was extremely condescending to me and said that I couldn't be expected to learn the part in question as quickly as the keyboard player because I'm "just a bassist", she then told everyone they had to be patient with the non-musicians in the band.

If she'd have been a bloke I'd have punched his lights out - it's a shame I'm not an equal rights bassist really![/quote]

give her the bass to play... put your feet up... after all, she's a vocalist... and you're "just a bassist"...

[quote name='BeLow' post='61346' date='Sep 16 2007, 08:01 PM']What I like about a lot of bassplayers, especially the good ones, is that they do really balance the chemistry of the band, and most of them would never be as stupid as to write off the contribution of the other members of the band. A lot of bassplayers hear the band with greater clarity than others because of their unique role.[/quote]

+1. One of the best drummers I've played with once told me that guitarists play guitar but bassists play the song.

Edited by simon1964

Ive touched on this before re:what we do compared to what people THINK we do.

best comments I ever recieved were

"You shouldnt be doing that"
(From another Bassist in a pub,I was moving about onstage....getting the crowd into it)

"I never saw a Bassist do that before...EVER"
(A flattering comment from a guitarist and a singer,when I asked what 'that' was the answer was "Play up the neck"........"well the frets are there" I replied)

"You should be doing this"
(From a singer.....The keys player then asked why...adding..."Because..thats...boring")

I must admit,Im not a plodder as I call them,If its not fun why do it? Ok the money talks,but everything has to have life behind it,and reason. Be it Cliff Williams to Mick Karn.

[quote name='ARGH' post='61432' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:49 PM']"You shouldnt be doing that"
(From another Bassist in a pub,I was moving about onstage....getting the crowd into it)[/quote]

I just received an email from european bassday adertising the world championship Air Bass contest! Imagine if you have to mime to a pino palladino bassline.... how dull would that be?

If you feel it the crowd feels it!

Its taken a fair while but now im confident on stage, Ill make sure im in some sort of larger than life pose when playing little fills or something, and people notice! plus, anything above the 7th fret is "Woah, I didnt know you could do that!" So basically, Play riffs that you could play between 1st and 4th frets on 4 strings all on the E string and watch the comments roll in!

I did a gig at school a few weeks ago. The rythm guitarist couldn't move because he had a broken wrist (it was a wonder he could play at all), the drummer was headbanging all he could, and the lead guitarist had a mic in his mouth, and pedals at his feet (that was excuse, anyway), so all the movement was left to me. I was jumping around like a maniac, and that was what got us the kudos after we played :)