Why become a member? ×

Rare,late 60's/early 70'sShaftesbury sale, may trade.

karlfer

Hello all. Bought this Shaftesbury on evil bay few months back. Long story, its medium scale, my fingers aren't. It's sat there doing nowt.
Was advertised as Japanese by long term previous owner, although no serial number/made in ..... anywhere, no clues under scratchplate, pots (except B500?) pick ups, etc. Could actually be Italian EKO made in mid sixties, more likely Japanese. Anyway its old.
Bad bits, some finish been badly re-done,leaving tiny spots of black spray around repairs.Tried to show on photos. Neck has been re-glued at some time(very solidly) but excess glue wasn't removed. Screw missing from 1 tuner cover, screw missing from Shaftesbury logo.
Good bits. it's light and looks wonderful(subjective!) from more than 2 feet away. All electrics work fine, sound is wooden with little modern attack, as would be expected, but within her scope she sounds really nice. Neck straight, action roughly 2mm at 1st fret,6mm at 22nd, not as low as your best Jazz, but lower than many semi-acoustics.
If nobody wants her here, she will go on * bay at £180 reserve plus deliv. Any BC'er wanting her, it's £160 plus deliv, but I will meet up to 40 miles from Wigan at no charge.Please have pity and dont make me go to * bay! I think the price I am asking is fair, losing me a touch, considering a Hondo 11 bolt neck 4*** copy went for £275 recently?
Sorry, only trade I would consider would be Squire Jazz Classic Vibe (the white/tortie fella)
Thanks folks,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='565887' date='Aug 11 2009, 01:44 PM']Subject to expert opinion, may I venture that that looks bloody rare.[/quote]

Its a rare copy of an even rarer bass - the Rickenbacker 4005. Most of their copies were 4001 clones

Edited by Delberthot

These are more inspired by the Rick 4005 than direct copies - it's more of a 360 bass, a 4005 would have a long-scale 4001-type neck with triangle inlays. I don't think there ever was a "proper" 4005 knockoff - more's the pity!

Anyway, Shaftesbury sourced similar Rick-ish copies from both Japanese & Italian factories - and I'm inclined to think this one is Italian, going on the hardware (particularly the tuners) and the fact it's a set-neck. Set-necks were very uncommon on early Japanese copies, and I'd say this is late 60s/early 70s. However without the luxury of a hands-on I'm by no means convinced one way or t'other.

As far as being a Macaris exclusive - stranger things have happened but probably not - the Shaftesbury brand was owned by Rose-Morris, who at that point had their retail premises just up the road & round the corner from Macaris - funnily enough, in Shaftesbury Avenue.

I would say that £160 is a pretty good price for this, if personal finances (and physical space) weren't so tight I would be very tempted!

Jon.

Thanks for all the interest folks, especially Bassassin who has been blindingly helpful with this. I really do hope I can sell her here, appreciating ebay gives service/big market, it's the micky taking fees/monopoly/cant do this/must do that/ that bugs me.
Mr Whippet, the real reason I bought this was my 2nd ever bass was one of these (1st was a £12 Futurama, real plank with strings) , bought for £52 in 1974(the payment from half a dozen North East club gigs at 16). Shand -a -Lang.Surprised I made 17. Unfortunately in the intervening 35 years my fingers have echoed the growth of the rest of me, mainly sideways and outwards.
Thats a cracking picture which will probably bring some wry smiles from us guys in our, err, prime.
Now, where is my Sanatogen.
Happy days.

[quote name='karlfer' post='566213' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:50 PM']1st was a £12 Futurama, real plank with strings) , bought for £52 in 1974.............Thats a cracking picture which will probably bring some wry smiles from us guys in our, err, prime.
Now, where is my Sanatogen.
Happy days.[/quote]

Happy days +1!!!
My first was a blue Futurama bought off my mates bro' for £10 in '75 i think :) Plank is being kind.

BB

[quote name='richardrickenbacker' post='571605' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:43 PM']What sort os trades you interested in?? Amps, basses, other?[/quote]
Hello Richardrickenbacker.

Really looking for a sale.
Because of the low price I am looking to sell at, the only trade I would really be keen on is a Squire Classic Vibe Jazz, the white one with tortoiseshell 'plate.

Bit surprised at lack of interest to be honest, only couple of trade offers. Shaftesbury weren't a poor brand, and lots of 35+ year old basses are bringing more than this, but I will see what ebay brings (when I have braced myself for that horror)
What I need is a 20 something deciding this bass would look cool on myspace, youtube.

Many thanks for your enquiry,
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='p992' post='572432' date='Aug 18 2009, 12:00 AM']I you still want to sell I'll take it for 150 incl post to huddersfield area.[/quote]

Hello Andrew, hope you see this. Bass chat won't let me send another PM until tomorrow?
If you do see this, please give me a call on 01942 512194 at about 8pm tonight, Tues 18th.
I will play it over the phone and it will give you some idea.
If you dont like what you hear,nothing lost and no offense taken.
Hope you see this,
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='572718' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:01 AM']Basschat should only stop you sending more than PM a minute, so you might just want to give it ago again now.

Cheers[/quote]

Merky buckets (thats French).
I live and learn (slowly) with all this new fangled technology.
One day I may even update my Steam Van.

Seriously though tayste_2000, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Cheers,
Karl.

Found couple of bits on net, one Italian, one Japanese.
Now the attempt to post them......

Also been informed has zero fret. I never noticed. Thanks Andrew.

Nope, I aren't allowed to upload that kind of file apparently.
Anyone interested I will attempt to send as email attach.

Cheers,
Karl.

Hi folks.
just for info to the half dozen who showed interest but....

A. Need to sell x 1st.
B. Get paid end of month.

This unusual, cool?, old and nice sounding bass will be going on e.bay next Tues, 1st September.

(Sorry, not concentrating, listening to Queen 11 for first time in years. Forgotten just how good they were in the early years)

On the bay from tomorrow at slightly higher price.

Still chance for those interested to avoid the bay, until there are bids.

Andi, (today), hope you got my message , and understand why I won't courier her.
(TBH I dread to think how much it would have been to Singapore).

Thanks to all those who have contacted me.
Cheers,
Karl.