Why become a member? ×

5 String?

Guy!!

Ive been playing bass a few months now, and im thinking about investing in a good 5 string bass, maybe a fender j-bass or a musicman stingray. What do people recommend? I'm playing mostly rock and metal, but i need a bass suitable for slapping and popping too, suggestions?

Advice: Try as many as you can within your budget.

Why: I have a BB414 and a BB415 and they are two totally different beasts. The string spacing on the 415 is tighter than the 414 and the radius of the fret board is greater on the 415 making it feel flatter which I don't necessarily like. Don't assume that a five string version of a particular bass is just like it's four string counterpart with an extra string.

That said, the string spacing on a Stingray 5 is pretty tight which would make popping more difficult, though not impossible.

The thing that nobody has mentioned that might make a big difference to you is string spacing. A four string bass is quite a well understood thing. They're nearly always 19mm (0.75inch) spaced at the bridge and taper off to the nut (some more than others but not that much difference). With a five string all bets are off. Some cram the strings onto not much more than a four string neck some have huge wide necks that wouldn't look out of place on a 6 string. The spacing can be anywhere between 16.5mm and 20mm. It makes a hell of a difference to the feel of the instrument. I personally favour 19mm spacing - same as four string. The trouble is that wider spacing roughly equates to more money.

Just something else to think about :)

EDIT: Oh and hello to Beverley. My mother was a Beverlonian - haven't been there in years. Do you still get Burgess's ice cream? :rolleyes:

Edited by thepurpleblob

I'm selling a G&L L-2500 tribute... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57002&st=0#entry564842"]here[/url]
the string spacing is a little less than on a Stingray... personally, I don't notice the difference much [i](my main bass is a Ray 5)[/i] it slaps well & has lots of different tones.... :)

My opinion would be to try them all and then decide. Bottomfeed's G&L looks very good, but I would prefer a Stingray over a Fender and a Lakland over a Stingray. And I think that moving to a 5 string is definitely a step in the right direction.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='564667' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:22 AM']For what you need, a Stingray would be perfect.[/quote]

i couldnt really second that as i have only had one 5-er...
except that a stingray is bloody out there on tone build and finish
with the 3 band at your fingertips you dont need to touch your head or preamp
and bearing in mind this is a 'mass produced' bass its a classic and industry standard 5
for the money...if you can fork up you wont loose
i bought a s/h at 700 and it went for around 800 2 years later
take care of it and treat it well and it will be a good friend and bass

cheers
geof

Edited by mrcrow

I have a Stingray 4 as my main bass, and I play everything from rock (both fingers and plectrum) to soul to slap and it does them all. So I would imagine a 5 string Stingray would be great.

I also have a G&L L-2500 Tribute and they can get you sounds from Precision to Jazz to Musicman all from one bass at half the price of the Stingray, but for more than half the quality.

So it depends on what your budget it, but I would urge you to try both.

[quote name='JTUK' post='565039' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:42 PM']....if you have just started playing bass..I'd forget all about making things even more difficult by getting a 5.. IMO....[/quote]
People manage learn piano, harp and many other more complicated instruments, so on a scale of 1 to 10 for useful advice for bass players, this come in at -10!!!

Get a decent used one - StingRay 5 is a fine choice - and then should you find the sound/ergonomics are not for you you'll not be hit with a wodge of depreciation. I played 4-string for 11 years, switched over last year, and I can't see any reason to suggest beginners avoid 5-strings. My main bugbear with fives was a lack of tension on the low B (hence I ended up with a custom extra-long scale five) but it seems not to bother most people and as you've only been playing a few months you'll probably not even notice it!

Alex

I told you, you should buy Ross's bass! :lol: perhaps not.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='564765' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:52 AM']The thing that nobody has mentioned that might make a big difference to you is string spacing. A four string bass is quite a well understood thing. They're nearly always 19mm (0.75inch) spaced at the bridge and taper off to the nut (some more than others but not that much difference). With a five string all bets are off. Some cram the strings onto not much more than a four string neck some have huge wide necks that wouldn't look out of place on a 6 string. The spacing can be anywhere between 16.5mm and 20mm. It makes a hell of a difference to the feel of the instrument. I personally favour 19mm spacing - same as four string. The trouble is that wider spacing roughly equates to more money.

Just something else to think about :)

EDIT: Oh and hello to Beverley. My mother was a Beverlonian - haven't been there in years. Do you still get Burgess's ice cream? :rolleyes:[/quote]

:lol: i don't believe it. TS is my mate and he's in my band, i convinced him to get an account on here. I live in Bev too :lol: . We've talked about the whole string spacing thing b4, i reckon that's why he has trouble with my peavey, due to the tiny string spacing, i thought it was 15mm maybe i just measured it wrong though but it is small.
Well you know what i think anyway preston, something with quite wide string spacing like a fender jazz 5 or an SR5 which is not quite as wide as the jazz but it still gives you enough room to move with your right hand. I don't think you'll have ANY problems with a neck being too wide; with hands like you've got i reckon you'd have no problem playing a 7 string let alone a 5 :lol:.

I reckon us 2 should go down to hull one day see if they've got any decent basses in Bad Dog. I remember trying out an SR5 in there once so they might still have one, see what you think. And this time don't just go down with jonny and get a bass without talking to me, what does HE know about basses eh?! :lol:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='565063' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:08 PM']Get a decent used one - StingRay 5 is a fine choice - and then should you find the sound/ergonomics are not for you you'll not be hit with a wodge of depreciation. I played 4-string for 11 years, switched over last year, and I can't see any reason to suggest beginners avoid 5-strings. My main bugbear with fives was a lack of tension on the low B (hence I ended up with a custom extra-long scale five) but it seems not to bother most people and as you've only been playing a few months you'll probably not even notice it!

Alex[/quote]

too true. My one bass playing regret is that i didn't just start straight out with a 5 string bass.

Edited by EdwardHimself