Why become a member? ×

Power amp went up in a puff of smoke

thedontcarebear

Got an Eden pre and power amp off ebay last week, borrowed a mates cab, and today I got a lead from obbm so finally got to try it, for the first few seconds, there was little volume, then it went up in a puff of smoke! Fuse is blown (completely black), but worryingly there is smoke like I said coming from the amp, going to try to get a new fuse, but I am not too sure it will do anything.

Any idea? I guess I will make a claim on paypal to start with.

I had a power amp do exactly the same thing a few weeks ago.

My techie opened it up and found that it had a heavy coating of dust on all the surfaces (dragged in by the cooling fan). The recent very humid weather had caused the dust to get damp, leading to a major short circuit and a fire.

He recommends that any amp with an in-board fan should be opened up and cleaned internally at least one every two years.

Agree.... don't try a new fuse yet..it is blowing for a reason.

I hate to suggest this but this sounds like the prev owner possibly outing a problem through E-bay

If it didn't last longer than a few seconds the 1st time you switched it on, I would be thinking about a return.

I think the advice about the fan is good but if you open the back and have a look does that invalidate any E-bay return policy..

The 1st thing I would do is notify the seller that there is a problem and instigate a possible return

I'm really not sure what to do, should I just try to find a local tech to take the poweramp to? Or just wait to see what paypal do? No amp means no band practice, I could just get a new poweramp in the meantime, like the Samson servo 600 (anyone know if that is okay?), but I am really worried about getting new stuff now that I've had a rubbish experience (and I'm pretty skint this month!).

Hoping to borrow something for a gig I have tomorrow from other bands playing it.

And to make it all worse, my backup amp died the other day, so now have to rush to try to get that fixed under warranty whereas I thought I would be able to take my time (sure it'll take a while anyway), but the shop it's from have always seemed good and Korg who do the distro said they would get it picked up etc.

Edited by thedontcarebear

If the amp has crashed & burned then it could cost more to fix than it's actually worth.

I also agree with the earlier posting about invalidating any eBay/PayPal claim by opening up the box.

As a short-term measure, I guess it's time to find out who your friends are on the local music scene.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='560973' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:46 AM']I'm really not sure what to do, should I just try to find a local tech to take the poweramp to? Or just wait to see what paypal do? No amp means no band practice, I could just get a new poweramp in the meantime, like the Samson servo 600 (anyone know if that is okay?), but I am really worried about getting new stuff now that I've had a rubbish experience (and I'm pretty skint this month!).

Hoping to borrow something for a gig I have tomorrow from other bands playing it.

And to make it all worse, my backup amp died the other day, so now have to rush to try to get that fixed under warranty whereas I thought I would be able to take my time (sure it'll take a while anyway), but the shop it's from have always seemed good and Korg who do the distro said they would get it picked up etc.[/quote]

Take the advice from JTUK and go the ebay route first and get a possible return with the seller

It's annoying, but I do sort of feel for the seller too, as maybe it was fine when he sent it and it got damaged in the post (although there were no signs on that), I had the same happen to me before, I sold an amp that was fine and the buyer said it was broke, so I refunded when I got it back (even though it worked when I got it back!)

I guess I will just leave the Eden to paypal and see what happens, and just sort out getting my backup combo sorted by Korg, and in the meantime, errrrr, just get tomorrow over with and then not practice for a bit!

I've never had to return through e-bay but I think you should reply that the amp isn't in a usuable state.
You can be open-mided that the seller is unaware of any fault and I would think transport and arrival is down to them.

Have you contacted the seller and told himof the problem and what do they say about it..?

Also... check this... either by the Eden site or on the amp...
The fuses for the output stage should be marked as , for example slo-blo 500m amp or some such... check that that is what is indeed in the fuse box on the amp.. If it is the same, then it is possible that this is a new-ish fault. If it is different, then someone has changed it...

Was the price very cheap on e-bay..??

A decent amp will hold decent money generally or lose it if it is cr@p, stolen or dodgy..

Sorry to be cynical and jump to conclusions....but you should be proactive and set in motion ALL return options to the seller, both by paypal and e-bay itself. AIUI..you have to decree that the trade was satisfactory, don't you..?

hope it works out

Ebay don't deal with it as far as I know, they say to do it via paypal (same company anyway aren't they?)

I messaged the seller via paypal and the dispute as that is how it's meant to happen, he replied via e-mail though for some reason and I just copied his reply in to the paypal dispute, said about me trying to rip him off, haha, I don't get how, it's not like I want the rack and my money too!

The fuse is what is meant to be in there, amp says 6 and the fuse is 6.3, but I don't think that makes a difference, if the fuse was replaced recently or not I'd expect it to be replaced with the same one anyway! The sale said it had been looked over recently and serviced.

I notice on the auction the seller stated that it had been recently reconditioned. Although it might be entirely genuine it does set off some alarm bells that there might have been issues with the amp. I may just be a bit cynical and he may have been intending to hang on to the amp or just wanted to sell it in tip top condition, but it could just as likely mean there was a problem with the amp that needed attention and the guy wanted to shift it on.

Still, you'd expect the thing to last more than a few seconds!

ok..the fuse is either original...or it has been replaced correctly...

No one knows what the the story is behind the scenes so keep it cordial and don't rise to any bait...if indeed there is any..
If you have lodged it correctly..and it sounds like you have, then let things progress ..

Was the price very good as Eden amps have value..?
If you got it for a steal... then maybe it is worth getting a techie opinion on how much to fix it..
If it is dust and the fan, then ok... it hasn't been maintained by the refurb/service it recently was supposed to have, but
the upside of that is that it might be an easy and cheap fix...

The only thing I know that USED to be expensive to fix was the transformer so that is me done for info now...:) :rolleyes: