Why become a member? ×

Need some advice on "The one"

Shockwave

Well i need some ideas on what head to go for or try out.

I have always had nice basses, but never nice amps, its usually the last thing i want to buy and everyone knows it! I am currently in a very rare amp buying mood. So i want to take advantage of it and get an amp i would keep forever.

I play Death metal with a fretless pedulla, i also play funk on whatever fretted bass i have at the time. I play with fingers 100% of the time (When playing seriously anyway)

[b]Budget: 500-1000[/b]

[b]Wants:[/b]

Lots of mid control, punch and definition.
Cuts through twin guitar stack ENGL's.
All Valve (If possible, hybrid maybe)
2ohm load capability.
Grindy sounds as well as clean.
Huge amount of power.
WOW factor.
Looks evil/awesome/cool.
Modern sounds. (Both vintage and modern would be nice)
Second hand.

[b]What i would want but is optional
[/b]
Bi-Amp
Twin channel.

[b]What i dont want.[/b]

All SS.
Something that needs added effects or lots of tweaking to sound good.
Ashdown.
Something that can only do a low end rumble.

[b]I would rather not.[/b]

Have to buy seperates (IE seperate power amp) unless i really have to.

I was thinking about a Mesa TITAN, but i am put off reading bad reviews. Though it does look awesome and fits alot of the description. I will be buying the head first, Then selling my current rig to buy a decent cab or two.

Anyway. any help would be appreciated.

For the record, i have owned the following amps.

Laney DP150
Marshall IBS200/400 Bi-Amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000.

Yup thats it. Amp shopping and research makes me depressed folks, but help me buy an amp before i change my mind and not get a new one! Playing my Pedulla through a rig that cost me 450 total (The head was 300) Is depressing!

Rob.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='559817' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:42 PM']I think you just described my Ampeg SVT 5 Pro

Hybrid Valve/Mosfet
1350 Watts Peak
Bi amp-able
Dirty channel
Clean sounding
2 OHMs
Looks f***ing awesome.[/quote]

Not sure if i would want the SVT sound though... hmmmmmm. Keep trying though! :)

I have no idea what would be right for you....BUT...what I can say is that I used to spend a lot on basses before I would consider spending on amps/cabs. I had the same rig for ages, (Trace 400W head and similar Peavy cabs to you). The Trace wasn't really a problem, despite being too massive. The problem was scrimping on cabs. Cheap cabs make your bass sound half as good as it could....now I buy cabs more than anything else. I love my LM3 (very clean) and Orange AD200b Mk3 (VERY dirty!) but neither would suit you.

How about a GK 1001RB (cant rem the exact model number)? Get a really nice cab and that amp will be great, and VERY loud.

Also, consider the Shuttlemax 6.

Edited by Musicman20

A massive deviation from the topic, but I saw your picture and only one thought occured; are you chewbacca? :)

more importantly, when you've got your new potentially awesome set up complete, can I come play it since it says you're a Bristolian? I'll bring biscuits as payment (chocolate digestives of course).

[quote name='Musicman20' post='559824' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:47 PM']I have no idea what would be right for you....BUT...what I can say is that I used to spend a lot on basses before I would consider spending on amps/cabs. I had the same rig for ages, (Trace 400W head and similar Peavy cabs to you). The Trace wasn't really a problem, despite being too massive. The problem was scrimping on cabs. Cheap cabs make your bass sound half as good as it could....now I buy cabs more than anything else. I love my LM3 (very clean) and Orange AD200b Mk3 (VERY dirty!) but neither would suit you.

How about a GK 1001RB (cant rem the exact model number)? Get a really nice cab and that amp will be great, and VERY loud.

Also, consider the Shuttlemax 6.[/quote]

As far as cabs are concerned, baby steps amp first, whilst i am still in the mood. I buy more cabs then i do amps.

[quote name='Monz' post='559827' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:47 PM']Matamp GT200... job done :)

...although the 1K is 300 short and it wont go down to 2ohms[/quote]

I have a feeling it wouldnt have too much of a modern sound to be honest.

[quote name='jmesa' post='559829' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:49 PM']Mesa 400+ no question[/quote]

Possibly, i am put off by the Titan review though, maybe a Mesa is not the thing i am looking for. Any big names use the 400+ or any mesa in general?

[quote name='Zach' post='559832' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:52 PM']A massive deviation from the topic, but I saw your picture and only one thought occured; are you chewbacca? :lol:

more importantly, when you've got your new potentially awesome set up complete, can I come play it since it says you're a Bristolian? I'll bring biscuits as payment (chocolate digestives of course).[/quote]

Course no problem :rolleyes:

Also if it helps, i play with fingers 100% which might help more in the amp buying decision :lol:

The 400+ is really a cut above the more recent additions to the Mesa stable (except one or two models) IMO. It has been used by all kinds - Mark King, Les Claypool, Flea to name a few popular folks who have moved on to other amplifiers partly to bolster sales of new models for their endorsers (possibly!)

Lovely amplifier, bit heavy for me now though.

Numerous people are recommending me mesas for some reason! Haha. Possibly. Gk? Honestly i have never played them. I have no idea what sort of sounds they can reproduce.

How do you guys feel about Trace Elliot V6's? Seems to hit the right buttons. However the only examples i can hear of them are people playing Mark King slap riffs. Does it have the Low End reproduction ability that i need for downtuned metal?

For serious lows at serious SPL I'd always be happiest with a big (though not necessarily heavy) solidstate power amp. That DB680/Crown rig would be righteous.

I'd also consider an LH1000 plus a nice overdrive pedal like a Fulltone BassDrive. Comes in at the bottom end of your budget and is devastatingly loud, plus you get to pick exactly the type of grindy second channel you want. Dual power amps allow it to run a pair of 4 ohm cabs but still put out huge power into a single 8 or 4 ohm cab when bridged.

All amp heads are so tiny compared to cabs that I really wouldn't worry about what they look like, only you will notice. Get cool/wow cabs instead!

Alex

Get an EBS Fafner. There was one in the for sale section recently. They go down to 2Ohms, sound very valve like, are loud and look very metal.

I play in a Black/Thrash metal band and have to compete with an ENGL and Mesa through 4x12's and getting my EBS has been a godsend. I have the TD650 which is slightly more HIFI sounding than the Fafner, but I can imagine that working out pretty well for you too.

How about this power amp? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QSC-PLX-1602-Light-Weight-Power-Amp_W0QQitemZ300333807569QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item45ed4a37d1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QSC-PLX-1602-Light-W...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Also, I think if you go for that much power in valves, I foresee a sale thead of nasty pointy basses entitled 'I need to revalve my amp'.

[quote name='Geoff' post='559987' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:21 AM']Get an EBS Fafner. There was one in the for sale section recently. They go down to 2Ohms, sound very valve like, are loud and look very metal.

I play in a Black/Thrash metal band and have to compete with an ENGL and Mesa through 4x12's and getting my EBS has been a godsend. I have the TD650 which is slightly more HIFI sounding than the Fafner, but I can imagine that working out pretty well for you too.[/quote]

I would recommend the Fafner also, and I own one to boot. It can handle any style, looks cool and secondhand it would be in the price range.

If you really wanted all valve you could try an Electric Amp. [url="http://www.electricamp.com/"]http://www.electricamp.com/[/url]

I pretty sure price-wise it would be way out of budget and you probably wouldn't find them second hand, but I just think they look really cool!

Ok, well i'll be going out an expedition i reckon to try some amps out.

I think i should include some my fave bass tones from artists.

Brian Robinson - A Wilhelm Scream.

Sound like an SVT maybe? I really cant tell. All i know is that he uses a stingray!

Quo Vadis's old bass player.

(There is a bit later in the song where you can hear pretty much just bass.

Mark King's Fingerstyle tone. at 1:57

I guess one way you can descrive the tones i am after is burpy.

I may add a few more later on. ideas? I am more of a fan of the first two videos tonewise. Probably far better in a heavy metal setting anyway!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='560301' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:50 PM']Live Video of Wilhelm scream.

Looks like Brians using an ampeg (Left hand side and close ups)

What ampeg is that one?

[/quote]

I am a massive A Wilhelm Scream fan. Brian puts most technical bassists to shame.

His recorded sound is basically his Stingray with a little dirt.

That live rig is no doubt an Ampeg SVT-CL with an 810E I think.

The thing is...Stingrays are so 'obvious' in a mix....its hard to emulate unless you get one. As he shows, even with fingerstyle, the Stingray just sounds aggressive and cuts through the mix...in a good way.

I think he probably still does use Ampeg...or Mesa/Aguilar if he has jumped the boat like a lot of other rock bassists.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Monz' post='559827' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:47 PM']Matamp GT200... job done :)

...although the 1K is 300 short and it wont go down to 2ohms[/quote]
+1 on this, its a beautiful hi fi amp!

sounds like your not really after a valve amp though from your list

[quote name='alexclaber' post='559953' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:50 AM']For serious lows at serious SPL I'd always be happiest with a big (though not necessarily heavy) solidstate power amp. That DB680/Crown rig would be righteous.

I'd also consider an LH1000 plus a nice overdrive pedal like a Fulltone BassDrive. Comes in at the bottom end of your budget and is devastatingly loud, plus you get to pick exactly the type of grindy second channel you want. Dual power amps allow it to run a pair of 4 ohm cabs but still put out huge power into a single 8 or 4 ohm cab when bridged.

All amp heads are so tiny compared to cabs that I really wouldn't worry about what they look like, only you will notice. Get cool/wow cabs instead!

Alex[/quote]

Rob, get a QSC, and a valve pre my friend, I have NO trouble drowning out an entire band....if I so wish to do.
Get good cabs too.