Why become a member? ×

Any reason to go for 5 string?

arabassist

Chow-how,

I've been wondering on whether to get a 5-string for my next bass or not. Other than the obvious benefits of being to able to play lower, these are the following reasons I can think of that i should:

- although i'm a fan of slim necks, i've played an ibby GSR205 a couple of times and i found it very easy to move between the frets, despite having a fatter neck than the 4 string ibby i had at the time (do all 5'ers have closer string spacing?)
- when i play i prefer to rest the thumb on the top string as opposed to the pickup, on a four string this makes it more difficult if i need to pluck the E string here and there, but with low B to rest on this wont be a problem
- i prefer playing higher frets than to playing near the nut, so i can play higher up on the B string, rather than lower down on the E
- i think they look absolutely sexy (especially the [url="http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/50256_l.jpg"]SR505[/url])

Are there any other reasons i should consider or not consider a 5 string?

Oh and a question: do any 5 string players tune it to EADGC?

Thank you

Ahmed

Edited by arabassist

[quote name='arabassist' post='556925' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:45 AM']Chow-how,

I've been wondering on whether to get a 5-string for my next bass or not. Other than the obvious benefits of being to able to play lower, these are the following reasons I can think of that i should:

- although i'm a fan of slim necks, i've played an ibby GSR205 a couple of times and i found it very easy to move between the frets, despite having a fatter neck than the 4 string ibby i had at the time (do all 5'ers have closer string spacing?)
- when i play i prefer to rest the thumb on the top string as opposed to the pickup, on a four string this makes it more difficult if i need to pluck the E string here and there, but with low B to rest on this wont be a problem
- i prefer playing higher frets than to playing near the nut, so i can play higher up on the B string, rather than lower down on the E
- i think they look absolutely sexy (especially the [url="http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/50256_l.jpg"]SR505[/url])

Are there any other reasons i should consider or not consider a 5 string?

Oh and a question: do any 5 string players tune it to EADGC?

Thank you

Ahmed[/quote]
1. not all 5-ers have closer spacing, although most of them do, but it's worth finding out the official spacing measurements on the manufacturers site and find others with the same spacing. FWIW i think fender 5-ers retain the string spacing. A friend of mine had a 5 string squier precision, literally like a cricket bat!

2. maybe try and adjust your technique a little? obviously you can't be resting your thumb on the top string all of the time on a fiver either. Also i find that the same note on a thicker string tends to produce a muddier note, particularly on a low B, so i like to stay in the first 5-7 frets most of the time...

3. if you need the extra range etc then go for it, by all means try before you buy, maybe give wayne's bass a go. I had a brief stint with a fiver, not my thing.

4. Yep, some people do tune like that. I plan on tuning my next 4 string in BEAD.

Would a 5 or 6 string bass be a good idea? It depends on what you play and how you play it. Also where do you see your direction? I could get a 6 string bass but as I've never really got involved above the 10th fret I don't see an advantage. I mostly play low so a 5 string with a low B is just right. I wish I'd switched much earlier.

I bought a 6 string recently and found that although the low B was very useful, I never really got up to playing the high C that much; it just didn't really suit my playing style. I might give a 5 string a go for my next bass, but would go for something with the same spacing as a 4.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on if you do get one.

Edited by WILD FROG SHOT

Neck widths and string spacing vary a lot, you need to check the specs - nut width, string spacing at nut and bridge. I had a Vester that, for me, was stupidly tight, like a guitar. I also had an MIM Jazz and they're quite wide at the nut, which surprised me, as the 4-string isn't.

I've found I can switch between 4 and 5 quite easily at home and even at rehearsals, but in the pressure of a gig I screw up on the 5. I think I could only make it work if I switched to 5 full time, but really none of the songs we do need it, so my current 5 spends very little time out of the case. However I don't think the time I've spent on it has been wasted, even to find out in the end it's not really for me.

Which is a long way of saying, go for it. :)

I think the most important piece of advice is that if you get a 5-string, don't view it as your normal bass with an extra string chucked on the bottom for the occasional low note - play all 5 strings equally.
You mention you like playing higher up the neck. In fact playing low E or F on the B-string has a different tone to open E/1st fret F on the E-string. Darker and fuller. As for tuning EADGC, a number of modern fusion players employ it, like Matt Garrison,Tony Grey and Janek Gwizdala.
However, I'd think carefully about what you want to do with bass - if you primarily play bass lines rather than chords or solos the low B is much more useful. I've recently stepped down from 6-strings to 5-strings just because it's a lot easier to play regular bass without reaching over that extra string all the time.
It's funny you mention having nowhere to put the thumb when playing the E-string as when I play a four now I feel a bit lost when playing the E! I'm sure some here will advise you not to anchor your thumb (or at least not too hard), so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. As for spacing etc. you really have to try a bass to be comfortable. Narrow spacing isn't always the best as your left hand can get cramped, especially if you play root then 5th below repeatedly.
Whatever you choose be sure to let us know how you get on!
Cheers
Mat

I wouldn't tend to agree with the above. The only way you could say it is useful for metal is for down tuning, but you can do that on a 4. I play in a indie/rock type band now and I am using the full range of my bass way more than I ever did in my old band which was a metal band. In fact I would say that I find it very restricting going back to 4. To me it's really nice to be able to throw the low notes in to really give some substance to the overall sound every now and again.

As for string spacing, it can vary really. I have pretty standard string spacing on my Shuker but with pretty much a jazz neck profile it makes it very comfortable to play. Whereas my previous bass was a Warwick Streamer Stage I which had a monster neck and was very difficult to get about at speed. It's all about what you feel comfortable with really. I have pretty small hands so I find it necessary to have a smaller neck.

My tip would be to try both ends of the scale and see what you are happiest with.

Bigger neck/string spacing - Precision, Warwick

Thinner neck/tighter spacing - Jazz, Ibanez

I am sure someone will be able to offer up a few more suggestions as well :)

My opinion on this change which could be quite an undertaking, is that you should only contemplate it if you are hearing the songs that you play with the lower notes.
If you just are thinking you would be able to go lower, then that is not quite the right reason, I don't think..

Too many low rumbling notes are just as much of a pain than say wanton slapping or tapping..all gets on the tits..but if you can approach it with a view that is will bring something to the song, then maybe..

Other things to take into account are..

can your rig take it..?
does the bass you are thinking of have a useable low B..assuming you are thinking low B... and not high C..??
This isn't as foregone as you might think IME..
Are you prepared to duck around between 4 aqnd 5's.. I don't play 4 anymore as the change-over was too pro-longed..are you prepared for that..?
It might help if you duplicate string spacings of your 4 with the spacings on a 5... ?

These were my issues and I went from a MM 4 which has a more precision type spacing at the nut...but you will not get that room, IMO between the string at the neck pickup.. or plucking area...

You might be lucky and not come across most of this... possibly..?

Good luck with your 5er venture matey! I've played some 5ers and found the low B's to be a bit 'flappy' on some basses and odd sounding across the strings, my old cricket bat Hohner B2A 5 springs to mind and also a cheapy Korean Spector that I once owned was similar. Having tried the 35" scale things were a lot better and the notes were consistent sounding on all strings. I feel Lakland have nailed this having previously owned a 5502 & now a JO5. I also remember trying an Ibanez SR505 a few years back and I really liked that and still have the GAS for one now. Having the low B though, has also been a god send for the Dub reggae stuff I do...I'm currently backing an artist called Daddy Teacha and his b-lines were all done on synth and go very loooow...lower than a 4er anyhow. However I find slapping on a 5 hard...but then I'm not very good at that anyway! :)