Why become a member? ×

Bass overdrive/drive pedal

orangepeelneil

[size=3]

Hello everyone,

I need some help deciding which bass overdrive/drive pedal to buy.

I'm only looking for a slightly overdriven sound for use during guitar solos (as I play in trio) and everything dies when the rhythm guitar drops out.

I just like natural tube od sound similar to Jack Bruce in Cream.

I have a Boss bass overdrive but I find it too coarse and fuzzy and not so natural sounding.

I use a stock USA P-bass and a Hartke 5500 rig.

It seems like the bass drive pedals fall into two camps, pure drive pedals and DI pedal with overdrive or emulation.

The options I'm considering.

[u]OD pedals[/u]

1.EBS Multidrive
2.Fulltone bass drive
3.Moody Hjart bass drive (DIY Kit from Finland)

[u]
DI with overdrive/emualtion [/u]

4.Sansamp bass DI
5.MXR M80 DI +
6.Aguilar ToneHammer

I may buy a DI box with drive at a later date, but not sure if the expense is worth it for my current needs.

Any suggestions?

Regards Neil [/size]

I have both the Fulltone Bass Drive and T-Rex Bass Juice and I think they're both excellent pedals.

I find the Bass Juice retains more bass where as the Fulltone pedal lacks a little. If you're after a vintage tone then I think the Fulltone is better suited. I would personally choose the T-rex pedal over the Fulltone but that's only my opinion. Try before you buy.

I also have the SansAmp BDDI, I don't use it to get an overdrive effect but it is an incredibly good pedal for amp modeling and I've found it very useful as a DI box for recording and live. The Sansamp VT Bass may be worth a look as well.

Those are my opinions on the pedals I have used, there are lots of options out there though.

Edited by alexharvay

From your list, I've only got the Moody Hjärt Müller, but there probably aren't many people here who've got one, so I'd better give you my opinion. :) Just be aware that I know nothing of the others on your list, so I've got no comparisons.

For a start, it's an easy build. Having said that, I've built quite a few things over the years (including a theremin), so it might not be great for a beginner. But there's nothing overly complicated -- a couple of hours at most.

As for sound, it's a very straightforward drive, but with plenty of bottom. The tone knob ("Klang") takes you from duvet-over-the-speaker to brash, balls-out rawk, and the drive knob lets you set it to just give you that "edge". For me, it's a little unexciting (compared to something like the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B :wub:), but it has a job and it does it nicely. I reckon if this pedal had a name like MXR or EBS on it, it'd be £120 instead of £45.

EHX English Muff'n. It's a tube overdrive and it reacts well to your attack (eg more break up the harder you play etc). It also keeps the lows pretty intact.

here's a sample [attachment=29982:Spy_Driver.mov]

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='556347' date='Jul 30 2009, 05:15 PM']If you look for a nice warm overdrive that can go from mild saturation to solid distortion, I recommend you the Digitech Bad Monkey.[/quote]

+1. Great pedal, modded mine for bass, but TBH some find stock version copes OK with low end anyway.
Cheap as chips - you should be able to pick one up for £20 or less.
So definitely wont break the bank. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='Tee' post='556301' date='Jul 30 2009, 04:26 PM']EHX English Muff'n. It's a tube overdrive and it reacts well to your attack (eg more break up the harder you play etc). It also keeps the lows pretty intact.

here's a sample [attachment=29982:Spy_Driver.mov][/quote]

+1 on that, the Muff'n has been the best purchase I've made this year. It also has the addition of you being able to swap the tubes to 12AX7s for a slightly different sound.

I'd like to try the EBS Valvedrive and Multidrive, but you don't see it in shops around here and I'm not going to order them blindly.

[quote name='Raggy' post='556261' date='Jul 30 2009, 03:50 PM']I have the EBS Multidrive and the Ashdown LoMenzo, I actually prefer the Ashdown, didn't get on with the EBS as I lost all my mids when i kicked it in. The Ashdown seems to keep them.[/quote]

+1. The Ashdown Lomenzo is excellent, and I agree you don't lose the mids and bottom end. Its also very versatile, and great value.