Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

musicman subs

stevieb85

Great basses! Sounds very much like a 2 band stingray as very similar electronics are used. My first proper bass a musicman sub was, i enjoyed it. Only complaints id have is the slab body being a little uncomfortable at times, the terrible stock pickguard (you MUST replace that), and sometimes the neck could feel a little 'sticky'.

Musicman stopped producing these as they cost too much to make and were too similar to stingrays....go figure :)

I think BudgetBassist is selling his for a very good price. They're nice basses, i gigged my housemate's SUB a few times (now belongs to waynepunkdude) and you'll definitely be heard in a band mix. As previously said, a proper Musicman for silly money, there's not much difference between these and a Ray apart from the appearance. Just change that pickguard!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='556084' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:43 PM']I think BudgetBassist is selling his for a very good price. They're nice basses, i gigged my housemate's SUB a few times (now belongs to waynepunkdude) and you'll definitely be heard in a band mix. As previously said, a proper Musicman for silly money, there's not much difference between these and a Ray apart from the appearance. Just change that pickguard![/quote]
That sold, but the guy i sold it to is selling on already, drop a guy called "soundcheck1" a message if you want it
i loved mine, sounded pretty much the same as a stingray and half the price, ok the finishing wasn't as good, and the body was a bit chunky, but hey, great bass aside from that. It was my main bass for a long time, only reason i sold it was because it wasn't getting used becaused i prefer the ergonomics of my warwick. If you're after that stingray tone on a budget, you can't go wrong.

a point worth making.....people do say that SUB's are great value compared to stingrays, however in the current market, SUB's can sell for anything up to £450, whereas stingrays are selling as little as £550. I dont agree that a real stingray is worth twice that of a sub, but i do think its worth £100-200 more. IMO, of course :)

[quote name='Kev' post='557158' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:51 PM']a point worth making.....people do say that SUB's are great value compared to stingrays, however in the current market, SUB's can sell for anything up to £450, whereas stingrays are selling as little as £550. I dont agree that a real stingray is worth twice that of a sub, but i do think its worth £100-200 more. IMO, of course :)[/quote]
Really? i sold mine for £360 and i just saw one sell on ebay for around £295... you just have to pay what's sensible. Personally i wouldn't go much over £350ish

[quote name='budget bassist' post='557323' date='Jul 31 2009, 05:56 PM']Really? i sold mine for £360 and i just saw one sell on ebay for around £295... you just have to pay what's sensible. Personally i wouldn't go much over £350ish[/quote]
keep an eye on ebay, you would be suprised! People payin quite a lot for them every now and then! You sold yours for a good price :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='557326' date='Jul 31 2009, 06:03 PM']The market has picked up a bit now, SUBs are going for nearer £400 and Rays aren't going for sily money any more. Even when there was a lull in the market i saw a SUB with flightcase go on eBay for well over £400[/quote]
Yeah, its weird the way it works sometimes.