Why become a member? ×

Best way to ship a bass internationally?

dannybuoy

Hi, I'm selling a bass at the moment, and also have it listed at Talkbass where a couple of people have expressed interest in having it shipped to the US. I have a hard case and plenty of bubble wrap, just need to procure a cardboard box (so if any local BC'ers have one they don't want let me know!). Does anyone know the cheapest way (with insurance included) to do this?

Also, would I be best to ship it as is, or loosen the strings first? I'm thinking if it hits a warm climate the neck could bow slightly...

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='552938' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:47 PM']Hi, I'm selling a bass at the moment, and also have it listed at Talkbass where a couple of people have expressed interest in having it shipped to the US. I have a hard case and plenty of bubble wrap, just need to procure a cardboard box (so if any local BC'ers have one they don't want let me know!). Does anyone know the cheapest way (with insurance included) to do this?

Also, would I be best to ship it as is, or loosen the strings first? I'm thinking if it hits a warm climate the neck could bow slightly...[/quote]

I shipped a bass to Italy and the only 'advice' i can give you is that i'll never do it again as there are to many variables involved should something go wrong. If you like a stress free life then i wouldn't bother if i were you.

If we all thought like that knowone would ship anything

Danny i shipped two basses at once last week, and it couldnt be easier...I will PM you with a very very cheap shipper..

I dont see any variables? All you have to do is called the company who will ship your bass, pay by card, ask for insurance..They will pick the bass up when you want them to..and thats it....Just make sure you use a hard case with plenty of bubble wrap...

I shipped a bass for £65 to Europe...FedEx wanted to charge me £190 believe it or not... The best thing is the company i used, used Fedex!!!????

You have PM Danny..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='dannybuoy' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:47 PM' post='552938']
Hi, I'm selling a bass at the moment, and also have it listed at Talkbass where a couple of people have expressed interest in having it shipped to the US. I have a hard case and plenty of bubble wrap, just need to procure a cardboard box (so if any local BC'ers have one they don't want let me know!). Does anyone know the cheapest way (with insurance included) to do this?

Also, would I be best to ship it as is, or loosen the strings first? I'm thinking if it hits a warm climate the neck could bow slightly...

MB1. :)
......Tell em to get the kettle on!....Take a holiday.... and the bass to the states!...a lot safer! :rolleyes:

[quote name='bubinga5' post='552964' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:01 PM']If we all thought like that knowone would ship anything

Danny i shipped two basses at once last week, and it couldnt be easier...I will PM you with a very very cheap shipper..

[b]I dont see any variables?[/b] All you have to do is called the company who will ship your bass, pay by card, ask for insurance..They will pick the bass up when you want them to..and thats it....Just make sure you use a hard case with plenty of bubble wrap...

I shipped a bass for £65 to Europe...FedEx wanted to charge me £190 believe it or not... The best thing is the company i used, used Fedex!!!????

You have PM Danny..[/quote]

Obviously you haven't shipped a fully working bass and then been told that it's faulty on receipt and then been told that there is no way that the bass could have developed a fault in transit by the buyers 'bass expert' friend. All this, even though you told the buyer that you would only ship abroad if he arranged shipping himself and take [b]ALL RESPONSIBILITY[/b] should the bass turn up damaged. ~This all happened to someone very close to me...as a matter of fact, they were so close to me that it was actually me. i wont go into all the carry on that i had meeeting the requirements for shipping that cropped up bit by bit once i had agreed the sale. However, you may ship without any mishaps whatsover, but i for one will never run that risk again.

[quote name='RussFM' post='553701' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:22 AM']I shipped a bass to Greece a year or two ago, wasn't even in a hard case, I just took the neck off, packed it really well and made sure it was insured. No problems.[/quote]
That's interesting: seems a very sensible thing to do. Curious that bass manufacturers don't do this - presumably a combination of good original packing and total distrust of music dealers ability to do a decent set up...

[quote name='RussFM' post='553701' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:22 AM']I shipped a bass to Greece a year or two ago, wasn't even in a hard case, I just took the neck off, packed it really well and made sure it was insured. No problems.[/quote]

I also offered to do this and the offer was refused.

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='553712' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:29 AM']- presumably a combination of good original packing[/quote]

I also offered to send the bass in the original manufacturers shipping box inside another strong box and this was also refused for reasons of 'economy'

I used UPS to ship a bass to Romania, I made the buyer understand that once the bass left my hands that he and the shipper/insurance would be responsible for any problems. I took photos of the bass to prove that it was in 'as seen' condition when packaged. I used harcase, bubble wrap, and a massive sheet of carboard which I fashioned into an outer shell with parcel tape.
One happy Romanian.
He is actually one of the mods on the Warwick forum and the bass was a NT thumb 5 from 1987 :)

I've been involved in a number of overseas transactions. There's some good advice above. I would suggest that if possible, you remove the neck prior to shipping. This reduces the size of the package and thus the shipping fees (depending upon the carrier). I would insist on insurance to full value and take good photographs of the bass prior to shipping. You may also want to have the bass professionally packed - I would suggest this to the buyer and ask that they pay the fee. I think 'Mail Boxes etc.' will provide a packing service as will many other companies. If you're packing yourself, buy/source suitable and very robust materials and include these in the cost of shipping.

I've shipped a few basses abroad, almost all thru-necks ( :) ) and I've no issues other than to say I would NOT do so if someone was paying by PayPal (don't want a 'claim back' made through no fault of mine). I have always ensured that 'where possible' the buyer has arranged and paid for the shipping and it has been insured for the full value. That way if anything happens in transit then the buyer has the onus placed upon them to make any claim for reimbursement. A couple of times I have had to do the courier organisation BUT I have made it a caveat that the buyer sends me an email stating that any claim that needs to be made will be to the best of my ability but I am not liable... that communicates to them you are not about to get stiffed by a spurious claim.

On the positive side! :rolleyes:

Visit your local friendly cycle shop (or local halfords etc) and ask if they have any empty boxes. The boxes that cycles are delivered in are just the right size to contain a bass case (cut down to correct width very easily) and the shop should be glad to get rid as they have to pay someone to take the cardboard!