Why become a member? ×

Vintage Appreciation Society

Clockworkwar

The Vintage bass, one of the only cheap brands who consistantly produce good quality instruments for a small price.

List your precious JHS Vintage basses below[b] (pref. with a photo)[/b] - I myself have a Vintage V4 from ages ago and I am about to purchase either V 1004 or the V940.

Edited by Clockworkwar

[quote name='Kev' post='551182' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:56 PM']very recently bought myself a Icon V4, very happy with it!! Makes me wonder why people can spend thousands on a precision :)[/quote]

Same, and seen as it doesn't say squire on the headstock, nobody really knows it is a budget bass.

V950

It's sat gestating in a case in the furthest corner of my room. It was a great beginner/intermediate bass and had a great bridge growl when the electronics worked properly whereas now their rather shagged.

[quote name='Geek99' post='551359' date='Jul 25 2009, 07:55 PM']I have the EST96 (active Ray copy) - its really quite good and the only thing I'd change is the pickup, which is a bit weak. Not sure what model to change it to though. My Jazz is actually louder.[/quote]
I have the passive one with maple neck and Wilkinson pickup. It is more powerful than a SD Quarter Pounder.

I'm really gassing for the V1005SP (spalted maple top 5 string):

It looks so nice, but seems to be in most shops for around £429+, and considering I could get a Spector Legend 6 for around £489, I'm unsure whether or not to buy it over the Legend.

Anyone near Wolverhampton should have a looksee at this:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Electric-Bass-Guitar-In-Cream-White_W0QQitemZ220456264236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item335437a22c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A6|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Electric-Bas...93%3A6|294%3A50[/url]

[quote name='karlbbb' post='552539' date='Jul 27 2009, 12:51 PM']I'm really gassing for the V1005SP (spalted maple top 5 string):

It looks so nice, but seems to be in most shops for around £429+, and considering I could get a Spector Legend 6 for around £489, I'm unsure whether or not to buy it over the Legend.[/quote]
whilst it may seem better value to go for the spector, consider with vintage you are getting the whole bass for the money, whereas with the spector your paying for the bass and the brand :)

[quote name='Kev' post='552037' date='Jul 26 2009, 08:16 PM']fitting a nice vintage fender pickup in my icon next week :)[/quote]
Norstrand Musicman pickup coming for mine courtesy of eBay - cost me more than the bass :rolleyes:.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='553198' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:00 PM']Norstrand Musicman pickup coming for mine courtesy of eBay - cost me more than the bass :).[/quote]

Just a shame they chose the name before Google happened along.

[quote name='Kev' post='553067' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:19 PM']whilst it may seem better value to go for the spector, consider with vintage you are getting the whole bass for the money, whereas with the spector your paying for the bass and the brand :)[/quote]

I agree, but I wonder how the B string is on the Vintage. I know it's very nice on the Spector, and the Ibanez SR506 I've also got my eye on is supposed to be quite a nice B string too.