Why become a member? ×

Weird & Wonderful Basses

BigRedX

I'm not sure about the pickup positioning on the Battlestar either.

However on the Sauron I think that's an optical illusion due to the fact that the pickups are slightly angled. Of course whether that itself is intentional is another matter...

Maybe time for an email to the seller?

• 5 months later...

Thanks! The idea was to highlight some of the less common basses out there, and I think I surprised even myself by how long I managed to keep this thread going for, and that was just limiting myself the basses that (as far as I knew) were available to buy new at the time of posting.

The Harrogate bash was never an option for me, as I don't drive.

I'll be at the Nottingham one tomorrow, as it's about 20 minutes walk from where I live, which was the one I though you'd be coming to. Did I get that wrong?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='420658' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:10 AM']I'll be at the Nottingham one tomorrow, as it's about 20 minutes walk from where I live, which was the one I though you'd be coming to. Did I get that wrong?[/quote]

Yes, I'm afraid you have got that wrong - I went to the Harrowgate bash. Would have a liked a chin-wag with you....

[quote name='BigRedX' post='420781' date='Feb 27 2009, 12:03 PM']Sorry about that bit of misunderstanding...

I'd probably go to one in London though[/quote]

Yeah I probably wasn't very clear about it. I look forward to meeting you in london, then.

BTW the Bass Extravagnaza site is very interesting. I really liked this:

Jesus!

[i]"Fluffy - € 1.200,00
While walking through an IKEA store (I'm married... ;-)), I saw this rug. My brains only computes how specific things an e used as a bass. I found a possibility.This is a real party bass. Women love it, and men want to shave."
[/i]

This guy is a [b]GENIUS[/b]!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='421634' date='Feb 28 2009, 01:03 PM']BTW the Bass Extravagnaza site is very interesting. I really liked this:

[/quote]

That Rack bass would be mine by now if it wasn't so expensive...

[quote name='escholl' post='421737' date='Feb 28 2009, 02:57 PM']it looks like it's got footswitches so maybe an effect of some kind?[/quote]

He calls it the Fluffpedal. No real details in either English or Dutch on the site but it appears to require 4 PP3 batteries to power it!

That's the idea! ;-)

Actually as I said somewhere in among all those posts, it had the opposite effect on me, in that I helped me organise my lust for musical instruments and focus on what I really wanted...

Of course there's at least 10 basses in this thread that I would buy without hesitation if they turned up for sale at the right price...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='236182' date='Jul 9 2008, 10:33 PM']It's a fun instrument although it definitely helps being a guitar player too, to get your head round how to use it.

It's 26" scale which make sit just a touch longer than a normal guitar and currently strung with some quite heavy strings.
The electronics are quite 'guitar-like' volume, tone with a pull coil tap, pickup selector and fairly hot humbucking pickups, but the tone is very bassy even with the tone on full treble!

Since I bought it, I've been revisiting some of my Peter Hook-style bass lines that I always thought would sound good with an 8-string and reworking them for a mixture of octave and unison. It allows me to play the main bass in a more bassy octave and then add the top end on the piccolo bass. I've been getting some interesting effects by swapping between the two lines being an octave apart and then going to unison and occasionally dropping a 5th between them.

Here's full photo of the Manne piccolo bass (It's called a Mandobass on the site)

[/quote]

Hi
what are the string gauges on this ? and what do you have it tuned to ?
Wish I had known you had this would have loved to have seen at at the Nottingham Bash

Paul

I was going to bring that as Kev (Spoombung) wanted to try it, but when I realised that we'd got our bashes mixed up I didn't bother as I thought it would probably be of little interest to anyone else. I was obviously wrong.

It's currently strung with some heavy-ish gauge D'addario strings 24, 32, 42, 52 IIRC. Tuning varies depending on what I doing with it. As most of the time I'm doing faux 8-string by doubling up a standard bass part it changes between EADG, DGDG and EAEA.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='423525' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:53 PM']I was going to bring that as Kev (Spoombung) wanted to try it, but when I realised that we'd got our bashes mixed up I didn't bother as I thought it would probably be of little interest to anyone else. I was obviously wrong.

It's currently strung with some heavy-ish gauge D'addario strings 24, 32, 42, 52 IIRC. Tuning varies depending on what I doing with it. As most of the time I'm doing faux 8-string by doubling up a standard bass part it changes between EADG, DGDG and EAEA.[/quote]

Have you tried it with an Octave pedal ? may be an interesting outcome.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='423525' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:53 PM']I was going to bring that as Kev (Spoombung) wanted to try it, but when I realised that we'd got our bashes mixed up I didn't bother as I thought it would probably be of little interest to anyone else. I was obviously wrong.[/quote]

...funny that Paul is also very interested in this bass.
Did you go to the Notts bash? From the pics and video it looked like a bunch of blokes slapping and clanking away on Fenders! :)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='423760' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:35 PM']...funny that Paul is also very interested in this bass.
Did you go to the Notts bash? From the pics and video it looked like a bunch of blokes slapping and clanking away on Fenders! :rolleyes:[/quote]

No video of the Notts bash ? they were clanking Fenders and videoing it at the North East bash though !

My mission in life is to become a Spoombung bass choice stalker..... :D

Not really...... just getting info on whats about and how others do things. The more info I acquire the more confused I become and the farther back I go in my search for bass build nirvana...
Looks like "get an idea and stick to it come what may" is very true. I will henceforth stick to my guns and disappear to my shed to emerge with my own idea of bass Nirvana and no longer take advice from anyone.... :)