Why become a member? ×

Weird & Wonderful Basses

BigRedX

Well overdue for an update so here goes...

Yet another German luthier - [url="http://www.magnusguitars.de/"]Magnus[/url]

The photos on the website really don't do the instruments justice, but luckily these appeared on eBay recently.

The Magnus Sharkey 6

Very little info on Magnus instruments in general, but I like this kind of single-cut shape. Both the neck and body are maple and the fingerboard is rosewood. 34" scale with custom Delano pickups.

I just discovered this thread and I gotta say: BigRedThanX!!! Best thread ever!!!

Also, may I suggest something? I vote for a few pics of Ian's 'Chopthebass' Sirius basses. IMHO those are aesthetically gorgeous and ergonomically perfect basses, crafted by a long time basschatter.

Why thank you kindly...

I do like Chopthebass's instruments, but I'm not sure they're quite unusual enough for inclusion in this thread.

Also one of my criteria for inclusion in this thread is that the instruments shown have to be available to buy or order/commission. The only exception to this so far has been the Reverend Rumblefish, but that's available in sufficient quantities that picking up a second hand one isn't too difficult (I managed it) plus at the time of posting there was a rumour flying around that production might be re-started this year. I'm not sure that the Sirius basses fit this requirement, although I could be wrong...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='251332' date='Jul 30 2008, 02:56 PM']Why thank you kindly...

I do like Chopthebass's instruments, but I'm not sure they're quite unusual enough for inclusion in this thread.

Also one of my criteria for inclusion in this thread is that the instruments shown have to be available to buy or order/commission. The only exception to this so far has been the Reverend Rumblefish, but that's available in sufficient quantities that picking up a second hand one isn't too difficult (I managed it) plus at the time of posting there was a rumour flying around that production might be re-started this year. I'm not sure that the Sirius basses fit this requirement, although I could be wrong...[/quote]

I sent a PM to Ian 'Chopthebass' and he confirmed that he accepts orders, would be great to know how much he asks for one of his Sirius basses!

Does he classify for this thread now? :)

UPDATE: I asked Ian 'Chopthebass' about pricing for one of his Sirius basses and Im still shocked... about half the price I was expecting!!! If you, like me, love the perfect balance of a headless bass and like the looks, you better PM him!!!

Edited by Fraktal

Sorry mate - Warwicks just don't do it for me.

I've played loads especially when I was on my quest for my ultimate fretless, and the only one that I didn't find totally horrible in either the looks or feel department had a £4000 price tag on it... Now for the right custom-built instrument I could contemplate spending that kind of money (although all of my basses so far have been under £3000) but for one off the peg as it were... no way!

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but there's plenty of other threads full of people enjoying their Fenders, Musicmen, Warwicks and such-like. This celebrates those luthiers who have decided to follow a less mainstream route.

• 2 weeks later...

More...

One of the luthiers who's work I've admired for so time is Chris Benavente, who makes some great guitars but not quite weird enough for this thread. However he's branched out with [url="http://www.divinityguitars.com/"]Divinity Guitar Works[/url] who's instruments most definitely qualify!

Here's two of the basses so that have been built so far...

The Cerunnos

and the Oracle

An astounding combination of off-beat shapes combined with some amazing woods. And I do like those single-cuts with the holes in them!

And now I'm going to break one of my rules about basses pictured being available, and post some concepts...

My excuse for these is that as far as I can tell they will get built at some point. I'm kind of GASing for the fretless Cerunnos with the whammy... Looking at the prices that'll be around the $5000 mark.

Just been fishing through my old pics and I found this –

[attachment=12128:DSC02345_1.JPG]

I don’t know what it is, but I took the pic in 2003 at the Music Live event at the NEC (I think it was called Music Live…quite possibly something else). Looks pretty cool though, anyone know what it might be?

That's a Bass Surgery. These would have been in this thread by now if it wasn't for the fact that they no longer appear to be in business...

Made by a (former?) dental technician, they took custom building and attention to to detail to new (some would say absurd) levels. I believe the starting price was around the £7000 mark and went up from there. Lightwave pickups, individually custom-cast metalwork, tuner built into the neck, hand-tooled leather case...

Anyone know what happened to them, and more importantly does anyone know of someone who's actually got one?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='262655' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:36 PM']...they took custom building and attention to to detail to new (some would say absurd) levels. I believe the starting price was around the £7000 mark and went up from there. Lightwave pickups, individually custom-cast metalwork, tuner built into the neck, hand-tooled leather case...[/quote]

No wonder they’re not in business anymore :)

It was funny when I was taking the pic cos the guy on the stand was giving me a dodgy look when I was getting the cam out, then I asked him if I could take a pic and he agreed to it, but joked about saying he wouldn’t charge me a royalty fee or something. I thought he was joking at the time anyway, but maybe not…

Here's some more bass surgery pictures...

There's a couple of threads about them on TalkBass and it seems that Toasted has played one...

Also found [url="http://www.thepriors.idps.co.uk/projects/bassurgery_tuner/tuner.html"]this page[/url] about the building of the integrated tuner.

If Bass Surgery was still around, I would have seriously considered them for my fretless as there's a lot of features on there that are what I want from a bass...

Edited by BigRedX

Looks like one of those pics was taken at the same show that I took my pic at – look at the natural finished 4 next to the green 6 string…
Amazing looking basses and such a shame they’ve gone out of business, but I’d be well priced out if they were still around. Incredibly beautiful and unique instruments.

While searching for something else, I stumbled across a name I haven't heard for years, and (surprisingly) can't find mentioned anywhere on BC: [b][url="http://www.auerswald-instruments.com/"]Auerswald[/url][/b].

Jerry does mostly guitars, including Prince's famous "symbol" guitar, but does basses too. Some use a "sustainbow": headstock physically connected to the body, [i]a la[/i] Roland G-707. His website's a bit of a mess, but Ed Roman has [url="http://www.edroman.com/guitars/auerswald.htm"]a page[/url] on the Auerwalds he's had, including such beauties as these:

Prices? Ed says Auerswald is charging up to $40,000, with a 2-year waiting list. :)

edit: here's where I heard the name first: Adam Clayton's PopMart Rocket basses, fretted and fretless:

Edited by bnt

I'd been saving Auerswald for when the new web site was finished but at the rate it's going, that doesn't seem to be any time soon.

I was also hoping to find some better photos than the Ed Roman ones or this one which came from the old version of the site...

Also they don't seem to be too bothered about answering email enquiries but then if you're as back ordered as they claim to be maybe I need to be more persistent before they'll take me seriously?

looking through this thread, there must be litterally hundreds of crazy, very way out basses.

and as i was scrolling i was thinking. i don't think i've ever seen any of them actually being played, and very few people who are known to own these sort of basses.

where do they all go? and what is done with them???

A good question indeed...

Apart from the Reverends which have their own quite sizeable fan club over on Talk Bass, and Bassassin who has a Talbo Bass I think I'm the only person who actually owns any of the basses I've featured so far (3 Gus Basses, a Lightwave, a Talbo, a Reverend and a Manne).

So if anyone here owns or has owned any of the basses that I've mentioned in this thread I'd love to see pictures and hear some first-hand reports...

• 1 month later...

It's been ages since I last added to this thread so let's put that right straight away!

Found a brand new luthier just now - [url="http://www.nuax.de/"]Nuax[/url] with some very tasty looking guitars and basses.

Here's a Sauron 6-string

and a Battlestar 5-string

All the instruments feature less than conventional body shapes and the basses have Q-Tuner pickups and a [url="http://www.wittman-spins.com/tunersJackTuner.html"]Wittmann tuner[/url] built into the jack socket.

Prices are around the €2500 mark, but the prototypes are on [url="http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZshapein"]eBay[/url] with £599 starting prices and a £999 BIN. If the Sauron had been a 5-string rather than 6, I would have probably kept these to myself until the auctions ended.

Anyone going to have a punt on these?

lovely stuff...... BUT, looking at the singlecut, the q-tuners seem to be out of line with the strings, the bridge one barely scraping the b string. the bridge doesn't look quite straight either..

and now looking at the 6, the bridge pieces seem to taper in from high string to low. surely, if it's tapered at all, it should be the other way?

OR, are the late nights and early mornings getting to me? :wacko: