Why become a member? ×

Tony Franklin Fretless Precision *Withdrawn*

Legion

Well, it pains me to do this one but I'm a financial wreck at the moment (note to self - don't buy new motorbike again).

It's a Fender artist model - the Tony Franklin Fretless Precision, I could say more but in light of WoT's recent Fender dilemma I'll just post a couple of links to his very thorough review (hope you don't mind Micheal)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46215&hl=tony+franklin"]WoT's Franklin stuff with Videos[/url]

I'm the original owner of this bass, and its been well looked after with light playing use. It's seen a couple of gigs and a few rehearsals plus a lot of playing time at home. Weight is nice and light at 8.2 lbs. There is a little marking on the fingerboard from using rounds but its purely cosmetic and a bit of wire wool rubs it off if you wanted to.

I remember when Jezyorkshire came round to pickup my double bass and he had a play on this - I wasnt sure if it left me inspired or suicidal. Just goes to show in the right hands its a killer bass. Beedster has also had a quick blast as well and the feedback was good.

Looking for £900 collected. Willing to post if required at extra cost.

Few pics for your perusal...

[attachment=29163:tony7.jpg] [attachment=29157:tony1.jpg] [attachment=29158:tony2.jpg]
[attachment=29159:tony3.jpg] [attachment=29160:tony4.jpg] [attachment=29161:tony5.jpg]
[attachment=29162:tony6.jpg]

EDIT: one extra photo of Tony & the bear :)

[attachment=29164:tony8.jpg]

Edited by Legion

Right couple of Qs here, cos it's a beauty and I have more gas than a baked bean factory worker.

I know a Warwick is my ideal workhorse bass, BUT, I really have need for a gaseous exchange - I really fancy a Precision fretless.

I had a Jap Fender Jazz Special with a Mighty Mite ebanol neck, in many ways a similar bass to this (obviously not the quality), but the output was low compared to my Warwick, and it had not enough punch. I liked the feel of the neck but it was a bit shallow, even for a Fender. All in all, I know I'd be comfortable with a P-Bass.

So ..
[list]
[*]Is this a fairly high output for a passive?
[*]Is the neck profile reasonably chunky, or shallow? (I'm used to recent Warwick necks and don't like shallow shredder necks).
[*]Will it do "deep"? not asking for full on active bass dub tones, but deep, warm, punchy mwah. It's a bit hard to tell in WoT's vid because he likes a bit of HF thwak going on I think. I roll the treble off quite a lot.
[*]Would you consider a swap and some cash your way for my Kopo fretless? I have strong interest in it but nothing solid yet so it may be a couple or three weeks before I manage to sell it. It's on the bay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=330345459550"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330345459550[/url]
[/list]

Thanks so much, like Chris says, three lovely Fender Fls so close together!

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='544313' date='Jul 18 2009, 08:56 PM']Right couple of Qs here, cos it's a beauty and I have more gas than a baked bean factory worker.

I know a Warwick is my ideal workhorse bass, BUT, I really have need for a gaseous exchange - I really fancy a Precision fretless.

I had a Jap Fender Jazz Special with a Mighty Mite ebanol neck, in many ways a similar bass to this (obviously not the quality), but the output was low compared to my Warwick, and it had not enough punch. I liked the feel of the neck but it was a bit shallow, even for a Fender. All in all, I know I'd be comfortable with a P-Bass.

So ..
[list]
[*]Is this a fairly high output for a passive?
[*]Is the neck profile reasonably chunky, or shallow? (I'm used to recent Warwick necks and don't like shallow shredder necks).
[*]Will it do "deep"? not asking for full on active bass dub tones, but deep, warm, punchy mwah. It's a bit hard to tell in WoT's vid because he likes a bit of HF thwak going on I think. I roll the treble off quite a lot.
[*]Would
you consider a swap and some cash your way for my Kopo fretless? I have strong interest in it but nothing solid yet so it may be a couple or three weeks before I manage to sell it.
[/list]

Thanks so much, like Chris says, three lovely Fender Fls so close together![/quote]

Hmm, I'll try to help as well as I can (not sure about all the questions exactly)

Output is fairly high in my experience - I've often had to keep the gain fairly low to avoid distortion especially when sliding up the neck
Neck is shallow, wide but shallow.
It's got a lot of punch, and can sound warm ( I roll off treble a lot as well). Not sure about "deep" ? though
No swaps sorry, I'm keeping the collection down.

Hope thats of some help at least - you are welcome to try it if you fancy the journey :)

Jas

Thanks Jas, that's really helpful.

I think what i mean by "deep" is capable of that reggae low freq area without having to turn the "bass" up all the way on an amp, which tends to muddy up and sound sort of "fake", if you know what I mean.

I'll have to see what happens with this Kopo.

Damn good luck with the sale :)

Cheers,
Nigel

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Legion' post='544324' date='Jul 18 2009, 09:11 PM']Hmm, I'll try to help as well as I can (not sure about all the questions exactly)

Output is fairly high in my experience - I've often had to keep the gain fairly low to avoid distortion especially when sliding up the neck
Neck is shallow, wide but shallow.
It's got a lot of punch, and can sound warm ( I roll off treble a lot as well). Not sure about "deep" ? though
No swaps sorry, I'm keeping the collection down.

Hope thats of some help at least - you are welcome to try it if you fancy the journey :)

Jas[/quote]

Just to help...there are some great demos of this bass and its background on youtube by Tony himself. Ive watched them a few times and it makes me want it more.

A bass like this is always going to have stacks of warmth, and a nice deep p thud :rolleyes: Just my input :lol:

I have noticed that my two USA Fenders have a really healthy output.

Whoooah

Someone buy this! Quick!

Great, GREAT basses. As some of you may be aware, I've had two and they were both fab, and incredibly well built.

[quote]•Will it do "deep"? not asking for full on active bass dub tones, but deep, warm, punchy mwah. It's a bit hard to tell in WoT's vid because he likes a bit of HF thwak going on I think. I roll the treble off quite a lot.[/quote]

Heh.. it's not very often I get accused of liking HF. :)

That's the Berg cab talkin'. In a band mix, that sort of EQ would sit just nicely. It'll do deep like a fretted Precision does deep.

i.e. It invented deep.

[quote name='silddx' post='544313' date='Jul 18 2009, 08:56 PM']It's a bit hard to tell in WoT's vid because he likes a bit of HF thwak going on I think. I roll the treble off quite a lot.[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='544451' date='Jul 19 2009, 12:50 AM']Heh.. it's not very often I get accused of liking HF. :D[/quote]

:) I nearly spat my cocoa on the keyboard when I read that! :rolleyes:

Hell's Teeth... WoT & treble/top-end mentioned in the same sentence without the word 'not' in there; unheard of. :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='544451' date='Jul 19 2009, 12:50 AM']Whoooah

Someone buy this! Quick!

Great, GREAT basses. As some of you may be aware, I've had two and they were both fab, and incredibly well built.

Heh.. it's not very often I get accused of liking HF. :rolleyes:

That's the Berg cab talkin'. In a band mix, that sort of EQ would sit just nicely. It'll do deep like a fretted Precision does deep.

i.e. It invented deep.[/quote]

Excellent! Thanks WoT. I could hear plenty low/deep freqs in the vid, but there's definitely a bit of that HF quack going on. Hard to tell in a vid too, who knows what the camera mic is doing? Just need to be sure, can't afford any more "mistakes". My continued fertility is at risk :lol:

Think you've told me all I need to know. So it's either a Warwick or Precision for me then. Wisk someone would make me an offer on that Kopo :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='544458' date='Jul 19 2009, 01:41 AM']I played my TF at three gigs this week - it does 'deep'. That's why I bought it to replace a fretless Jazz which was lovely and sounded great but didn't do 'deep' in the way I was looking for.

It's fretless Fender heaven around here at the moment.[/quote]

That's why I needed these assurances, I've had a Jazz and P in the past, although not USAs, neither did "deep". Even with SD Basslines in.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='544458' date='Jul 19 2009, 01:41 AM']I played my TF at three gigs this week - it does 'deep'. That's why I bought it to replace a fretless Jazz which was lovely and sounded great but didn't do 'deep' in the way I was looking for.

It's fretless Fender heaven around here at the moment.[/quote]
FWIW, I remember hearing Dave's TF at a gig in May and it sounded absolutely glorious, so I assume Legion's will do too...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='544689' date='Jul 19 2009, 02:11 PM']FWIW, I remember hearing Dave's TF at a gig in May and it sounded absolutely glorious, so I assume Legion's will do too...[/quote]
Thanks Nik.

FWIW, that would probably have been the TF, P pickup only, treble mostly rolled off, Markbass LMII with EQ flat and perhaps VPF at about 11 o'clock, through two Ashdown 1x15"s and my fingers over the P pickup.

Whoever gets this, I really don't think you would be disappointed; I've even thought about trying to find the fretted version to pair with mine.

[quote name='Legion' post='545762' date='Jul 20 2009, 09:46 PM']Officially withdrawn, just can't do it. Just to remind myself I'll post it again...

[attachment=29292:note.jpg]

Nobody let me stray again or I'll be in trouble[/quote]

:) Jesus I remember seeing that! That was ages ago!