Why become a member? ×

G&L Tribute L2500 Blueburst

thepurpleblob

Having sold my soul for an Overwater, I have to thin down a bit. My G&L "Tribby" L-2500 is in the firing line.

I got it from another BC'er in sunny Blackpool and I've been very pleased/impressed with it but the Overwater will render it unplayed I am sure.

I guess everybody knows about these by now and I won't get into the "is at as good as the real thing" debate. This bass is very well made, is in excellent condition, and comes in the best colour. I have to mention the sound from this which is like nothing else. It blows my Stingray into the dust. It might be a bit much if you are into more subtle forms of music. All those switches give a lot of versatility. Being able to switch to passive is good insurance obviously. The string spacing at the bridge is an in-betweeny 17.5mm. The neck shape is a personal thing but it's still one of the best 5 string necks I have played. It is of the Precision style neck so is quite chunky and will not suit everybody.

Bad points. There's nothing nasty at all, just a few very minor points. The fretwork is not quite perfect on the outer ends of a couple of frets in the middle. It doesn't affect playing but you do know it's there when doing a slide . I'm probably being unduly fussy but I would rather mention it. There is some discolouration to the the maple on the back of the neck through use - no damage or marks at all. There is a small chip on the end of the headstock where it must have met the ceiling at one point. It has definitely been gigged and used which is what you are meant to do with basses ;-) No case, although we'd work something out.

I am looking for trades for anything vaguely useful. Particularly along the lines of small, lightweight combos (my Ashdown rig is great but bloody heavy for small gigs/rehearsals). If you fancy this I will listen to any sensible proposal. Cash either way is ok too.

If it makes any difference, I also have a very clean '98 Yamaha TRB-4ii in blue as well as or instead of - whatever. A very, very underrated bass. Yamaha hard case.

Dealing in person very much preferred to posting. I'm on the southern outskirts of Glasgow and can travel within reason for the right deal. I'm in Manchester on occasion too.

Edited by thepurpleblob

Pictures added of the real things. PMs (so far) answered.

Just a note... I'm not desperate to get rid of either. It's just clearing the house of dusty things. Comedy offers not considered :) I'd much rather do a trade than sell outright as hard cash just becomes curry and beer in short order.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Kev' post='545754' date='Jul 20 2009, 09:41 PM']have a price mate?? looks lovely...[/quote]

While people who don't give prices irritate me immensely, I'm going to be a hypocrite. I'd much rather trade for a combo or portable head/cab (significantly lighter than an Ashdown ABM500 + 4x10) - or part thereof, or anything else you think I might like - than sell. However, if you want to make me an offer I can't refuse..... :)

Buuurmp...

Had a surprising amount of interest in the Yamaha but bugger all for the G&L. Of course, it's really the G&L I want to move on. Nobody interested at all?? These are great basses.

I'm just looking at creating some space to stop the wife growling at me. So, literally, anything interesting.... (light) combo/cab/heads.... effects, keyboardy things. Try me :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='545800' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:21 PM']...and... replied. LOADS of people interested in that Yamaha. Who would have thought?[/quote]

Who [u]would[/u] have thought it.
The G&L has to be one of the most underrated basses on the market. They are not just Great they are AWESOME. You can get P Bass, Jazz and Stingray on Acid from it and for a ridiculously low price. One Bass, all eventualities. You don't need to swap Basses mid-set.
I have exactly the same one in Blueburst/Maple and it ain't going anywhere.
I'd keep the G&L and ditch the Yam :)
Good luck with selling whichever one you decide.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='548716' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:23 AM']Who [u]would[/u] have thought it.
The G&L has to be one of the most underrated basses on the market. They are not just Great they are AWESOME. You can get P Bass, Jazz and Stingray on Acid from it and for a ridiculously low price. One Bass, all eventualities. You don't need to swap Basses mid-set.
I have exactly the same one in Blueburst/Maple and it ain't going anywhere.
I'd keep the G&L and ditch the Yam :rolleyes:
Good luck with selling whichever one you decide.[/quote]

The TRB was actually my first bass so I am a bit emotionally attached. If nothing comes along I will keep it but I now have an Overwater Perception which is a different matter altogether. The Overwater needs to earn its keep :)

Bump for the G&L.

Why hasn`t someone bought this yet? These are fantastic basses, I`ve had 2 four stringers and they do the lot and are built like a brick sh**house. Why did I sell mine, cause I`m a numpty!!

Jez

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='549676' date='Jul 24 2009, 02:01 AM']Hi.

Would you be interested in a swap on the Yamaha, have a 1979 Aria RSB800 or a 1980 Ibanez Roadster, both vintage 80's passive basses for trade,

Cheers[/quote]

Thanks for the interest but no thanks. I am really trying to downsize. I would really only consider exchanging both for another interesting bass. I'm not really GAS'ing for anything at the moment - but never say never :)

Sunday morning bump. Various interest and offers replied - thanks. Just to reiterate that (offers I can't refuse notwithstanding) I am really only looking for trades and for that to be within "day out in the car" distance of Glasgow or - intermittently - Manchester area. Packing up and posting is too much bother / stress.