Why become a member? ×

Stuff to play

Pop tart

Hi, sorry...I've no idea if this is the right place for this or not, if not please tell me and I'll try get it moved. :blush:

Basically I've been playing for about 2 years but aren't getting much better, mostly because I'm teaching myself and I've run out of stuff to learn. I can play a bit of (easier) rancid, (easier) RHCP, blink 182, green day, offspring, muse, rage against the machine, dead kennedys, the smiths, just stuff at that kind of level. I love playing this stuff but a lot of it isn't pushing me and I think it's why I'm not getting any better. So I was just wondering can anyone recommend me stuff to play that isn't well hard but is fun, maybe a bit fast, not too difficult but enough that it's pushing me to get better. I go through my music collection but most of it has really easy bass and I'm not too good at improvisation.

I would really really appreciate any help you can offer me. Thanks. :)

Again, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Try to learn the more difficult songs by those artists
Open mic/jam nights/a band?! - playing with other musicians teaches you a lot IMO
For improv, make up your own basslines to "easy" songs. For example a lot of Blink 182 is mainly straight root notes - try building more interesting lines to them

[quote name='Protium' post='539827' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:36 PM']Try to learn the more difficult songs by those artists
Open mic/jam nights/a band?! - playing with other musicians teaches you a lot IMO
For improv, make up your own basslines to "easy" songs. For example a lot of Blink 182 is mainly straight root notes - try building more interesting lines to them[/quote]

What they said! :)

[quote name='Protium' post='539827' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:36 PM']Try to learn the more difficult songs by those artists
For improv, make up your own basslines to "easy" songs. For example a lot of Blink 182 is mainly straight root notes - try building more interesting lines to them[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm going to university in september so was hoping on finding a band to join then, I was just a bit worried I'm not good enough, which is why I wanted to find stuff to play over the summer to get better.

That's a good idea with blink, but do you know where I can learn a bit about improvising, like a good website or anything that shows you some ideas? because I really am bad at it :rolleyes: Or is it just a case of keep trying and eventually something will sound good?

Edited by Pop tart

Hmmm, what're you feelings on classical music?

Transposing stuff from other instruments to bass is a good work out for your reading skills as well :)

You could always branch into metal and rock, for starters Iron Maiden and Metallica have good songs and quite a few awesome basslines.

As for improv, sing a bassline that fits with the song, then play what you sing. Easy to say, suprisingly difficult to do.

Edited by Buzz

Go for the band thing defiantly, I'm in a band and I've only been playing for a few months (we all finished at the same time the other day, I was well chuffed). I have learnt so much from playing with other musicians that I would not have done if I was just trying to teach myself.

+1 on all the advice
Playing with opther people is what us bassist do (a few soloists aside) so find people just a bit better than you to jam with.

I was well confused initially though 'cos I though this post was from Poptart
I thought Mark had lost his memory...

[quote name='Buzz' post='539845' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:49 PM']Hmmm, what're you feelings on classical music?

Transposing stuff from other instruments to bass is a good work out for your reading skills as well :)

You could always branch into metal and rock, for starters Iron Maiden and Metallica have good songs and quite a few awesome basslines.

As for improv, sing a bassline that fits with the song, then play what you sing. Easy to say, suprisingly difficult to do.[/quote]

I've just had a look at some classical tabs and, from what I could find, they seem quite interesting to play so I'll give them a go. I'll also look into iron maiden and metallica, thanks for the idea.

Some good advice here.

+1 for working out some of the more difficult stuff from bands you like. If you can't get your head around some of it try using Best Practice - [url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp[/url]

Slow the songs down enough to work out what they're playing, then play along at a speed you're comfortable with. When you've nailed that start speeding things up. And no skipping the tricky bits! :)

[quote name='Musky' post='539910' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:50 PM']Some good advice here.

+1 for working out some of the more difficult stuff from bands you like. If you can't get your head around some of it try using Best Practice - [url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp[/url]

Slow the songs down enough to work out what they're playing, then play along at a speed you're comfortable with. When you've nailed that start speeding things up. And no skipping the tricky bits! :)[/quote]

That looks awesome, just what I need, thanks a lot!

Edited by Pop tart

oooh, too many simple(ish) but effective basslines. erm, 'when you gonna learn' by jamiroquai is a really fun one to learn. All of what other people have said, really!

If I were you I'd look into getting a tutor - that way you wil be more likely to play a lot to reherse, etc. I've just finished with my current teacher (says he can't teach anything else and that I should probably get someone who can teach to teach me!) and one of the best things was that i'd play for an hour with him, learn my favourite basslines, learn a bit of theory about them (the pracical stuff you'll actually use), and chat about bass for a bit. It was really informal, but when I got home it would just make me want to play bass even more!

Oh, and when you come to making your own, dont just stick to a minor pentatonic - I find that if the song is major, strangely, the major scale notes (in almost any order and rhythm) really work well in some of the more chilled out ones.

As you progress playing harder stuff gets harder - if you see what I mean. You also see less improvement in yourself even though there is some. It suddenly creeps up on you that you can play stuff you couldn't 6 months ago. You just have to push yourself.... listen for those bass lines in any music that you think you can't play and go and have a go. Some songs took me years on and off to learn. It's all good - just keep going and be positive about your abilities.

Oh, yes, join a band. That helps a *lot*.

[quote name='Pop tart' post='539839' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:42 PM']Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm going to university in september so was hoping on finding a band to join then, I was just a bit worried I'm not good enough, which is why I wanted to find stuff to play over the summer to get better.

That's a good idea with blink, but do you know where I can learn a bit about improvising, like a good website or anything that shows you some ideas? because I really am bad at it :rolleyes: Or is it just a case of keep trying and eventually something will sound good?[/quote]

Look in the Theory and Technique section - there is some good stuff in there.

Another good source of practise are midi files which you can get free off the net.

I dont know if there are any cheap or free sequence packages, [I use cakewalk]
The advantages of using a midi file, [the parts are not always very accurate] you can slow them down, they will repeat and never get bored, and you can either play along with the midi bass part, or mute it and play with a backing track with no bass.

On cakewalk i can display the notes so you can find out what the note is if you cant figure it out, and it could help your reading practise

[quote name='bumnote' post='540393' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:30 PM']Another good source of practise are midi files which you can get free off the net.

I dont know if there are any cheap or free sequence packages, [I use cakewalk]
The advantages of using a midi file, [the parts are not always very accurate] you can slow them down, they will repeat and never get bored, and you can either play along with the midi bass part, or mute it and play with a backing track with no bass.

On cakewalk i can display the notes so you can find out what the note is if you cant figure it out, and it could help your reading practise[/quote]

hi nigel..good to hear from you

my answer for this is fundamentally to learn scales and arpeggii....boring :rolleyes:
then armed with a good knowledge of the fretboard tackle some classics and do your own thing
none of the music i play has basslines and i am faced with either chord progressions or some pinching of keyboard bass line/harmonic/melodic figures
this makes life very interesting and i dont feel i am copying anyone...freedom!!

point being i dont play covers and like to improvise...each time round on a verse

keeping rhythm is the most important and filling those gaps where there are rests for the other musicians to hear the rested beats
i am tempted to throw in synchopation and hesitation but this does throw a singer

what a tosser i am :)

Edited by mrcrow

Hey,

When I was looking in to progressing from the simpler stuff it was really listening and playing to red hot chilli peppers that pushed me. I recommend finding a bass player who really calls out to you and copping all his licks. I would also say, make your ears really big! By which I mean listen to as much music as possible. Programmes like spotify are making this so easy now, take advantage. Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis, James Brown are pretty cool artists too look into when looking to open your ears.

Also check out this series of podcasts by Janek Gwizdala: [url="http://gwizmon.podbean.com/"]http://gwizmon.podbean.com/[/url]
It may give you some insight into the process of improvisation, its pretty advanced stuff however. Ultimately listening to a diverse range of music is going to push your abilities, and keep having fun.

[quote name='skipper' post='539849' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:54 PM']Go for the band thing [b]defiantly[/b]....[/quote]
Sorry, but the misspelling in this just made me laugh.....

"Can I join your band?"

"[i]Yes, you're in[/i]"

"Well, you can bugger off, how dare you ask me to join"

etc. etc.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

Absolutely, the band thing is without a shadow of a doubt, the best practice available! Find some people to jam with and just have fun with it!

You mentioned Ratm earlier, there's a real wealth of stuff to be learned from Timmy C mate, in terms of stamina, dexterity note placement etc. Go back over their music and listen for stuff you've missed. They seriously formed my playing for about the first 4 or 5 years!

Someone mentioned Jamiroquai too, loadsa awesome stuff to learn there!

This is one of those 'can't see the wood for the trees' type situations, there's so much stuff around you just waiting to be tapped into!

Another good band for basslines, is 'Robert Randolph and the Family Band' The bass player is daft good! His lines are pretty simple, but trying to keep them going for a whole song is another matter all together!

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='541841' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:24 AM']Sorry, but the misspelling in this just made me laugh.....

"Can I join your band?"

"[i]Yes, you're in[/i]"

"Well, you can bugger off, how dare you ask me to join"

etc. etc.[/quote]

Ha! that guy must be a total moron!

...oh crap! it was me :)