Why become a member? ×

1x12 Shootouts

Musicman20

I run a pair of DB1x12s and though I'm doing pubs and clubs etc. I've never come close to finding the limits of this pair of cabs. I did have a scare a month or two back as I thought I'd trashed a driver but after fitting a replacement (care of our own WoT who had a spare Eminence 500w from a Schroeder cab), I established it wasn't the driver after all. :)

It may be of some interest to various parties that WoT Marcus and myself did a little bash where we got together the pair of DB112s, Marcus's pair of GS112s and WoT's pair of Berg 210s... I'll ask WoT and Marcus if they put up a thread/comment on any of the Forums. :rolleyes:

[quote name='rodl2005' post='541864' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:08 AM']I HAD a GS112, now own a AE112. TBH it took me a cuppla weeks to get used to the BERG, but once I did- WOW it IS far better IMO. YMMV. It IS louder & seems to be able to sound modern or vintage with applomb. (??) Well. :-) I've had a LOTTA compliments on my tone with this set up(LMII>AE112)
I ALSO have a LMII & while the AE112 does have the top handle the LMII sits perfectly with its 2 front 'feet' on the metal edges of the handle-thus angling UP a fraction at front. NOT wierd at all IMO. I got a mate to sew a cover for mine & it's been fine- sure the lack of protective corners etc IS not as good as the GS112 was(I like carpeted cabs too....) but I actually have a spare set of 8 plastic interlocking corners I COULD put on it if I felt the need.
With THAT much $$$ difference I'd probly not go the AE112 but here in AUS the Aggies are about the same price, so.........[/quote]

Hey thanks. I know the GS cabs are mid scooped so its not such an issue. The DB cabs are much thicker and with no mid scoop. You can see what I mean about the prices though!

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='542243' date='Jul 16 2009, 01:57 PM']Yeah I think they liked the Aguilar the best as it sounded about as good as the Berg, but was cheaper. I think they gave a Zoot cab the value award when it was only slighlty cheaper than the Aguilar they seemed to love.[/quote]

I'll have to try and find this review!

[quote name='stevegg' post='542425' date='Jul 16 2009, 05:11 PM']I've got a Berg Ae112 which I was using for DB and BG with a Shuttle 3 - 10 Combo. This was a great combination but just not loud enough for stage monitoring for the festival we did two weekends ago. After talking to Mark at Bass Direct, who is a top bloke by the way, I have bought a second AE112. The two AEs together are just fantastic. The new one has got very discrete metal corner protectors which would solve one of your problems.

I bought both of mine with covers and the old one still looks mint after 12 months gigging and rehersals.

All the best

Steve[/quote]

AH...I heard about these new corners, thats goof that it is true! I would love to test their tone...but Im really concerned about the massive price hike.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='542472' date='Jul 16 2009, 06:10 PM']I run a pair of DB1x12s and though I'm doing pubs and clubs etc. I've never come close to finding the limits of this pair of cabs. I did have a scare a month or two back as I thought I'd trashed a driver but after fitting a replacement (care of our own WoT who had a spare Eminence 500w from a Schroeder cab), I established it wasn't the driver after all. :rolleyes:

It may be of some interest to various parties that WoT Marcus and myself did a little bash where we got together the pair of DB112s, Marcus's pair of GS112s and WoT's pair of Berg 210s... I'll ask WoT and Marcus if they put up a thread/comment on any of the Forums. :lol:[/quote]

That would be brilliant. I'd like to know what you all thought, thanks. I have heard these little DB cabs can handle quite a lot for such small cabs. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='542510' date='Jul 16 2009, 07:14 PM']I have a copy somewhere but can't find it to hand. I may be able to help you out with a scan of the article (sorry I'm keeping it)... when I find it! :)[/quote]

That would be VERY helpful! Thanks! Did the Aguilars come out on top?

This is the link to Tom's 1x12 shoot out on his blog.

[url="http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/1x12-shootout.html"]http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/1x12-shootout.html[/url]

Tom is a top chap and has been so helpful to me in the past. I'd put him on my christmas card list!

Dood.

[quote name='dood' post='543572' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:36 PM']This is the link to Tom's 1x12 shoot out on his blog.

[url="http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/1x12-shootout.html"]http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/1x12-shootout.html[/url]

Tom is a top chap and has been so helpful to me in the past. I'd put him on my christmas card list!

Dood.[/quote]

Thanks

Its a shame they havent done a modern one....but I like the sound of this from the comments...

"3 Comments:
will said...
hey tom, would you care to comment on how the Berg AE112 sounds?

11:29 PM
Tom Bowlus said...
I really need to update this shootout with both the AE112 and the HT112 ER. But in short, the AE112 is perhaps my favorite 1x12. It is not quite as big and deep sounding as the HT112 ER, but it is quite deep and has punch from top to bottom.

2:03 AM "

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='544187' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:17 PM']Why don't you PM Tom on Talkbass? He's probably tried all of the 112s out there, knowing him.[/quote]

Hey....I just did that actually! Thanks!

He got back to me...stating the AEs are really good, but the DBs are also excellent.

I really dont like the handle design on the AE's....seems a mess around to have to get foam around it to stop your amp being scratched or sitting on an angle.

Im still a little undecided.

Problem is..I dont need a HS410...but i can (and would like) buy Geoffs HS410 for less than one AE112! That seems insane.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='544224' date='Jul 18 2009, 07:05 PM']I wouldn't go for Bergs solely because of the price over here. If I were rich I would though, if I liked them of course.[/quote]

Agreed. The prices here are very high. In the USA they arent that much more than Aguilar, etc. So...it seems the Aguilar money wise are a much better deal.

Im gonna think for another week about it. In terms of weight, im not saving that much...as 112s arent heavy anyway.

Im looking forward to the Barefaced 12" cabs!

I've just settled on two EBS Neoline cabs. 1x12 & 1x10.
Done a few gigs with them and I'm very happy.
Super light, great sound especially in the mids / highs. Love the two handles that also act as a subtle wedge.
I may change the 1x10 for a 1x12 soon.
Also done a few gigs with just one cab.
The 10 will cope with very small restaurant gigs but lacks a bit of low end IMO.
The 12 has performed very well in medium sized rooms with drums, etc... It has much better low end than the 10 obviously.
Together they sound great and I think two 12's would sound huge.

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='551811' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:04 PM']I've just settled on two EBS Neoline cabs. 1x12 & 1x10.
Done a few gigs with them and I'm very happy.
Super light, great sound especially in the mids / highs. Love the two handles that also act as a subtle wedge.
I may change the 1x10 for a 1x12 soon.
Also done a few gigs with just one cab.
The 10 will cope with very small restaurant gigs but lacks a bit of low end IMO.
The 12 has performed very well in medium sized rooms with drums, etc... It has much better low end than the 10 obviously.
Together they sound great and I think two 12's would sound huge.[/quote]

Hey

Ive never tried EBS gear….interesting! Thanks for the input.

I’ve just bought Geoff’s Berg HS410, so im giving the modular neo setup some more thought. I can’t justify spending just under £100 more on ONE AE112 compared to the price I got on the HS410. So, Berg is out for me….I’ve got a great Berg here so I’ll have to check other 1x12 manufacturers.

In addition, me and Geoff had a chat about weight and casters when I bought the HS410, and we both came to the conclusion that If I buy two Aguilar DB112s, I actually have more weight than one of my DB212s, and with no casters. They would also weigh more/the same as the HS410 which seems mental. Sure, they are more modular, which is brilliant, but I don’t see the point in my scenario on getting anymore Aguilar cabs! Just a waste when I have two DB212s and one is damn loud on its own. Two is literally chocolate thunder!

So…something that isn’t Berg or Aguilar. And this time, it HAS to be neo and modular. I have plenty of ceramic cabs.

Has anyone got any experience with the Traveller Series Mark Bass 1x12s and 2x10s? I picked one up once, and it truly was completely lightweight. They seem to sell quite well on here too. I don’t want to go for something like this if they aren’t considered good cabs…I’ve heard some reports that their cabs are not as good as their amps.

As much as Schroeder has had problems recently, the 1212BMF and the 15+ L are VERY small and modular. Also, Barefaced Midgets and Double midgets are a possibility. If they can do what Schroeder does, and push a lot of power in a light package, with 2x12s, but take away the worry that Schroeder brings with it, then I might go for one. I’m also tempted by Epifani…despite me originally being put off them.

I wouldn't go near Markbass cabs anymore. I've had them in the past and A/B'd them with EBS and Epifani cabs. They sounded like someone had put a blanket in front of the speaker !
I love the Markbass amps.
Try the Epifani if you can. Very good for the money. I would have bought two UL112's but at present I'm without a car so I've gone with the EBS Neo's. The Neo's have a smaller footprint therefore easier to lug around on public transport.
If I had the cash I'd go for the Bergs followed by the Epifani.
Although I'm very happy with my Markbass F550/ EBS Neo setup. Plus I can buy two Neo 12's for the price of one Berg 12, almost...

We can all read forums and reviews till the end of time. At the end of the day, what works for you is right for you.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='552597' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:30 PM']Hey

Ive never tried EBS gear….interesting! Thanks for the input.

I’ve just bought Geoff’s Berg HS410, so im giving the modular neo setup some more thought. I can’t justify spending just under £100 more on ONE AE112 compared to the price I got on the HS410. So, Berg is out for me….I’ve got a great Berg here so I’ll have to check other 1x12 manufacturers.

In addition, me and Geoff had a chat about weight and casters when I bought the HS410, and we both came to the conclusion that If I buy two Aguilar DB112s, I actually have more weight than one of my DB212s, and with no casters. They would also weigh more/the same as the HS410 which seems mental. Sure, they are more modular, which is brilliant, but I don’t see the point in my scenario on getting anymore Aguilar cabs! Just a waste when I have two DB212s and one is damn loud on its own. Two is literally chocolate thunder!

So…something that isn’t Berg or Aguilar. And this time, it HAS to be neo and modular. I have plenty of ceramic cabs.

Has anyone got any experience with the Traveller Series Mark Bass 1x12s and 2x10s? I picked one up once, and it truly was completely lightweight. They seem to sell quite well on here too. I don’t want to go for something like this if they aren’t considered good cabs…I’ve heard some reports that their cabs are not as good as their amps.

As much as Schroeder has had problems recently, the 1212BMF and the 15+ L are VERY small and modular. Also, Barefaced Midgets and Double midgets are a possibility. If they can do what Schroeder does, and push a lot of power in a light package, with 2x12s, but take away the worry that Schroeder brings with it, then I might go for one. I’m also tempted by Epifani…despite me originally being put off them.[/quote]

You should also look at the Tech Soundsystems / Tecamp cabs.

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='557840' date='Aug 1 2009, 03:14 PM']I wouldn't go near Markbass cabs anymore. I've had them in the past and A/B'd them with EBS and Epifani cabs. They sounded like someone had put a blanket in front of the speaker !
I love the Markbass amps.
Try the Epifani if you can. Very good for the money. I would have bought two UL112's but at present I'm without a car so I've gone with the EBS Neo's. The Neo's have a smaller footprint therefore easier to lug around on public transport.
If I had the cash I'd go for the Bergs followed by the Epifani.
Although I'm very happy with my Markbass F550/ EBS Neo setup. Plus I can buy two Neo 12's for the price of one Berg 12, almost...

We can all read forums and reviews till the end of time. At the end of the day, what works for you is right for you.[/quote]

Too true....I need to test the Epis...and have a look at EBS. Im down in London at the end of August so a Bass Galler visit is in order. Also a cheeky detour to Bass Merchant :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='557848' date='Aug 1 2009, 03:30 PM']You should also look at the Tech Soundsystems / Tecamp cabs.[/quote]

I will...good idea. I think they have then at Bass Merchant normally.

[quote name='pete.young' post='557944' date='Aug 1 2009, 05:43 PM']I think you should also wait until Alex Claber gets a Midget ready.[/quote]

Definitely. I really hope I get to see and hear one soon!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='557973' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:13 PM']Any chance of emaling a pic to me ?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=47013&view=findpost&p=557981"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=557981[/url]

It's really tiny! Weighs about 24lbs.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='557985' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:23 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=47013&view=findpost&p=557981"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=557981[/url]

It's really tiny! Weighs about 24lbs.

Alex[/quote]

Awesome!

I look foward to seeing the double! It gonna be a tough call between whether a double midget or compact works best for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Well

I gave them all a good testing out this last week, (most of the cabs on thi thread).

The Berg HT112ER/EX was amazingly smooth and low, totally different to my normal sound, which I liked. The other cabs I have are very rock orientated, and his was a very nice tone.

The AE112s were great, aggressive and full, but not as full as the HT/EX ER stack. They look amazing, but I can see the spray finish marking easily.

The Aguilar DB112 was great, but I might just stick to my DB212s and have something that sounds totally different.

Thanks

Gareth