Why become a member? ×

Ultra comfortable strap

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='534464' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:23 AM']I'm looking for an [i]uber[/i]-comfortable strap. I currently use a Comfort strap, but the day after a gig I feel as if my shoulders are ready to drop off. Does anyone know of anything? I looked at those double straps that go across each shoulder but I'm not convinced.[/quote]
Yes, getting old is a real bummer! I use those stretchy straps that Overwater sell. They are comfy and seem to take a lot of the weight off.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='534464' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:23 AM']....I'm looking for an [i]uber[/i]-comfortable strap. I currently use a Comfort strap, but the day after a gig I feel as if my shoulders are ready to drop off. Does anyone know of anything? I looked at those double straps that go across each shoulder but I'm not convinced....[/quote]
The Planet Waves Dare Strap looks about as good as you're going to get in weight distribution.

I've got both the Dare and the Slider, and I'm normally a Comfort Strapp user.

The Slider just doesn't do it for me. It's too finicky to get right, and it's a pain if you have to keep putting it on and taking it off. A clever idea, and maybe it would be fine for a gig where you just put on the bass and keep it there, but it's of limited use at rehearsals.

The Dare is much better, really easy to use and you can use it as a conventional single strap without any effort at all. Two down-sides though:
1. There's a slight "scissors" action to the two straps and if you're wearing a t-shirt it can rub your neck badly.
2. Inevitably it alters the way your bass hangs and there's only so much you can do about it.

I've given up using the Slider completely (in fact I may offer it for people to try), but I use only the Dare for my heaviest bass (10.5lbs). My next heaviest bass is 9lbs so for everything else I still use the Comfort Strapp.

If you're near West London and would like to try these straps, drop me a PM.

Edited later: No intention to be sexist, but the Slider might actually a suit a well-endowed lady rather well as there is no strap passing diagonally across the front of the body. I've just remembered that the makers actually use a female model in the publicity photos, presumably for this reason.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='538830' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:29 PM']The Slider just doesn't do it for me. It's too finicky to get right, and it's a pain if you have to keep putting it on and taking it off. A clever idea, and maybe it would be fine for a gig where you just put on the bass and keep it there, but it's of limited use at rehearsals.[/quote]
I can imagine - I bought something very similar this to carry a camera - used it twice and put it away never to be seen again.

[quote]The Dare is much better, really easy to use and you can use it as a conventional single strap without any effort at all. Two down-sides though:
1. There's a slight "scissors" action to the two straps and if you're wearing a t-shirt it can rub your neck badly.
2. Inevitably it alters the way your bass hangs and there's only so much you can do about it.[/quote]
I (we) have one of these. My wife has just started learning bass and was finding a normal strap not enough as she is quite small and slim (unlike me!), so we got one. While she likes the weight distribution the scissor action causes her problems at times :blush:

though old age hasn't set in for me just yet, i play a pretty heavy bass (peavey T-40) so i use a minotaur leather strap. very wide so it spreads the weight nicely, not exactly cheap but they're really really well made

[url="http://minotaur.gr/catalog/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=221d4e19e3924d00d11a235093fd0209"]check 'em out here[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. After an internet trawl, I found this guy: Mark Roche MD

Dragon Leather Products

Tel: (+44) (0) 1656 722728

Unit 39 Tondu Enterprise Centre

CF32 9BS

S.Wales. UK

[email protected]

www.dragonleatherproducts.co.uk

www.larocheproducts.com

He's making me a strap - 4" wide, extra comfortable, £50 delivered.

"Edited later: No intention to be sexist, but the Slider might actually a suit a well-endowed lady rather well as there is no strap passing diagonally across the front of the body. I've just remembered that the makers actually use a female model in the publicity photos, presumably for this reason."

Yes, but I guess there may be a few Bassists out there with "Man-Boobs"...... :)