Why become a member? ×

Best onboard preamp

SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='534691' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:15 PM']I'm no longer convinced by on-board pre-amps of the traditional cut/boost variety because they don't do anything that the controls on your amp ought to do better.

The only reason IMO to fit one would be:

1. You like to fiddle with the tone as you're playing
2. You prefer volume/balance as opposed to volume/volume on a 2 pick up bass. I've still not come across a decent passive balance control that sounds as smooth as a good active.
3. The pre-amp offers individual tone shaping for each pick up.

What advantages are you hoping to get out of fitting a pre-amp to your bass?[/quote]
I'm increasingly agree with this line of thinking. In my experience if the bass doesn't sound right in the first place, a preamp isn't going to make a lot of difference to be frank. Sure it will enhance whatever is there and maybe compensate for poor acoustics but there again, so will an amp. A preamp isn't really going to make a badly designed bass sound good. But I've just tried a few basses recently that were so 'right' that for the first time I thought, there was no need for an eq that couldn't just be done with the pickups and maybe a passive tone pot at most.

Yes... in my example the preamp has rescued my bass, from being a boring, non-discript sound sh*ter to something akin to god! It was prolly a mistake to put the DiMarzio's in, but to be honest, it had nothing going for it except the vintage vibe and superb neck. I do a lot of gigs with it through the board and always get a great sound from it now. I don't find I need to do a lot of fiddling with it. I've got it dailed in just right, although it's nice to be able to tweak it to compensate for acoustics and such.

I couldn't be happier!

Without trying to hijack the thread
I'm following this with great interest, as I'm about to start a build project and
am contemplating which pre-amp to go for.
Using a single Nordstrand mm5.2 pup
Was wondering wether to match it to a Nordstrand pre or go for the ACG
Was hoping someone would comment on the Nordstrand Pre's
Any takers???
Andy

[quote name='BigRedX' post='534691' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:15 PM']I'm no longer convinced by on-board pre-amps of the traditional cut/boost variety because they don't do anything that the controls on your amp ought to do better.

The only reason IMO to fit one would be:

1. You like to fiddle with the tone as you're playing
2. You prefer volume/balance as opposed to volume/volume on a 2 pick up bass. I've still not come across a decent passive balance control that sounds as smooth as a good active.
3. The pre-amp offers individual tone shaping for each pick up.

What advantages are you hoping to get out of fitting a pre-amp to your bass?[/quote]

I've priced up the bits for a passive control plate, should be about 50 quid using Fender parts, and I think that is gonna be my next move. The only problem is my side mounted jack. If I decide to stay passive I might have to put a dummy pot in.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to have the most tonal flexibility out of you bass I should really recomment the ACG preamp. I've just finished my first bass build, a Wal like mk1 type bass. Only this bass is neckthrough and of course the ACG preamp in it and two humbuckers. The sound is unbelievable (Thanks Allen!)! I can really get that Wal sound (also own a Wal), and much much more, from Alembic to P-bass to reggea dub bass en much more.

Also maybe to mention is the U-retro also a great preamp, more modern sounding (what ever that means) then the J-retro I believe.

Edited by pushifier

Doesn't the U-Retro have sweepable mids and a couple of switches that the J-Retro doesn't?

Edited to say, no, I'm wrong :)

Re all John's pre's they are really easy to fit with minimum soldering required.

Edited by GreeneKing

Well on the website of East [url="http://www.east-uk.com/"]http://www.east-uk.com/[/url]
There are a lot of different preamps:
J-retro (deluxe)
U-retro (deluxe) is more flexible (larger sweep?)
Marcus retro (marcus miller basses)
DJ-Retro 01 (lakland daryl jones basses)
Musicman like preamps

Well there is a lot to choose (some time ago there were only the J-retro and U-retro)

@SisterAbdullahX; I shure should try the Marcus Retro for your Fender Jazz(if it fits into your bass)

Edited by pushifier

You can have too much adjustment and go round in circles sometimes..

I think the OB pre should give you the sort of sound you want and can get to easily... and then the amp should subtley adjust and amplify that..

For me, it is all about getting the sound quickly and consistantly..

You don't want to be starting from scratch in every situation..

A bit of playing around and understanding what your amp and pre-amp do...will help you understand what you want when and where...
Most modern amps are terrific tone-shapers so you could end up all over the place if you have to endlessly twiddle.

Set the bass up to sound good and then plug it in and enhance it...all sorts of things will kick in here, cabs, room, floor etc etc

Edited by JTUK

Yes... I reckon you could easily go round in circles with these... Just buy any one of them and set it up for your particular sound. I'll bet there isn't a lot between any of them so pick one and set it up.

I've found with the J-Retro I don't do a lot of fiddling about to get the tone a I want, and it's easily tweakable if I need or have the urge.

Just to add, I have a 3 band Schack which I can pre-set from 100hz to around 10khz.
I have +- 15db for each pot

It is best to find a useable sound when the pots are centred or flat..so you have instant control therefore on the bass.
Then set the amp up to sound good for those pre-sets...
Then all you need add is volume or a tad of cut and boast here and there depending on acoustics

I take it the volume pot is flat out ...
When I want a brdge pickup sound, I switch in the double coil...but mostly I prefer the bass running single.

I found this ouit when I had pick-ups wound for me... too many turns makes the sound louder and fuller, but it has less character by far, IMV

Ideally, when changing between sounds, you want the minimum of messing around...and hopefully just a pickup pan...

Sorry to steel the thread.....I have a Audere 3 band Jazz pre which I haven't used for £120 posted.

Any of the three already mentioned are great preamps and would lift the sound of any passive bass.

[url="http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm"]http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm[/url]

[quote name='soopercrip' post='536332' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:05 PM']Without trying to hijack the thread
I'm following this with great interest, as I'm about to start a build project and
am contemplating which pre-amp to go for.
Using a single Nordstrand mm5.2 pup
Was wondering wether to match it to a Nordstrand pre or go for the ACG
Was hoping someone would comment on the Nordstrand Pre's
Any takers???
Andy[/quote]
I've got a 55.2 in a Godlyke Disciple 5, I'm waiting on a Bartolini NTMB to arrive for it. I'll let you know how I get on.

I had a Sadowsky with the VTC, very nice, couldn't fault it. I've another J with a Noll TCM3 (vol, blend, bass mid treble cut & boost plus a passive push/pull with a passive tone all on a 3 knob Jazz control plate) which is very flexible but the low boost is a little muddy and three stack knobs is a little crowded. I had another bass with an Aguilar OBP1 in it, which was ok, preferred the Sadowsky tone to it. My favourite, however, is a Bacchus with a Bart XTCT in it. The low end is warm but defined, the high is clear without being harsh and it's impossible to get a bad tone out of it no matter what way you set it, which is why I'm going with the Bart to pair with the 55.2

[quote name='Doctor J' post='554758' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:08 AM']I've got a 55.2 in a Godlyke Disciple 5, I'm waiting on a Bartolini NTMB to arrive for it. I'll let you know how I get on.

I had a Sadowsky with the VTC, very nice, couldn't fault it. I've another J with a Noll TCM3 (vol, blend, bass mid treble cut & boost plus a passive push/pull with a passive tone all on a 3 knob Jazz control plate) which is very flexible but the low boost is a little muddy and three stack knobs is a little crowded. I had another bass with an Aguilar OBP1 in it, which was ok, preferred the Sadowsky tone to it. My favourite, however, is a Bacchus with a Bart XTCT in it. The low end is warm but defined, the high is clear without being harsh and it's impossible to get a bad tone out of it no matter what way you set it, which is why I'm going with the Bart to pair with the 55.2[/quote]

Got to decide soon
I had got it narrowed down to either the acg or the nordstrand, but now.... (too much bloody choice :) )