Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1386876760' post='2305906']

They are and I've never quite got why they did that, as it is minimal and can't make much if any difference!
[/quote]

Quit moaning about it and just sell it to me :)

• 4 weeks later...

Any experiences of a fretless 5 string dolphin pro 1 2001ish with Bart soap bars against an 89 4 string with Bart mm + j ?

Owned the 4 for many years and may now have found a 5 for sale. Curious how the sound is with differents pickups and later manufacturing compares?

What's a fair price for a 5 like this?

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1389967979' post='2340086']
Any experiences of a fretless 5 string dolphin pro 1 2001ish with Bart soap bars against an 89 4 string with Bart mm + j ?

Owned the 4 for many years and may now have found a 5 for sale. Curious how the sound is with differents pickups and later manufacturing compares?

[/quote]

I can't imagine they will be worlds apart in terms of electronics. It will likely be a very similar, if not the same, preamp. Any chance you can have a play first? As the neck profile will be somewhat different from the 89, even more so if it has a gloss finish. Will have a deeper profile and feel a good bit chunkier. Weight should be about consistent with a 5 string version of what you have.

DiMarco has a better knowledge of Lolphins than most, so hopefully he will be along to give a better answer. Value? Warwicks are all over the place at the moment, but anything under £1500 and IMO you are doing well :)

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1389967979' post='2340086']

[/quote]

I owned both the '89 bartolini sc + hb fit and a '91 broadneck fretless 5str with bartolini soapbars.
The '89 is king of the midrange and punches through any mix better then ANY other bass I have ever heard.
The bn fl with soapbars however had a much broader palette of tones and has a lot more bottom end that you can dial in. I would buy that bass in a heartbeat if I didn't already own a '95 regular neck 5str with MEC pre + pups on, which to me is the best sounding of the bunch.

Value of that five string? 1500 quid is a good estimate made by Kev.

Thanks for the replies. I think the serial is cv4802 which makes it a 2002?
Looks like it also has the thicker neck volute carve which I'm not so much a fan of.
It's overseas so unable to try it and quite an outlay buying blind. The price is ok, around £1500 with shipping. Hmmmm

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1390064155' post='2341103']
Thanks for the replies. I think the serial is cv4802 which makes it a 2002?
Looks like it also has the thicker neck volute carve which I'm not so much a fan of.
It's overseas so unable to try it and quite an outlay buying blind. The price is ok, around £1500 with shipping. Hmmmm
[/quote]

The volute really is fine and doesn't effect my playing. It is also quite reassuring having the volute, having seen several and owned one non-volute Warwick with a crack in that area :)

If you are unsure, I would be hesitant about buying it. The market is slow and it may not be a matter of selling it on quickly if it isn't to your liking. You could be stuck with it for months!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1390064841' post='2341115']

The volute really is fine and doesn't effect my playing. It is also quite reassuring having the volute, having seen several and owned one non-volute Warwick with a crack in that area :)

If you are unsure, I would be hesitant about buying it. The market is slow and it may not be a matter of selling it on quickly if it isn't to your liking. You could be stuck with it for months!
[/quote]

Cracked neck?? Never heard of a warwick doing that. Was it over adjusted or warped??

Yeah I know how the market is..... Mind you, there are worse things to be stuck with!

I'm awaiting johns reply in the cs4 ......

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1390066091' post='2341132']
Cracked neck?? Never heard of a warwick doing that. Was it over adjusted or warped??

Yeah I know how the market is..... Mind you, there are worse things to be stuck with!

I'm awaiting johns reply in the cs4 ......
[/quote]

Over adjusted by the previous owner I think, the top of the neck was rather weak on the old models, but I guess what was sacrificed in strength was gained in comfort.

The CS is a stunner, I'd have done a deal with John if I could meet his price!

Not having a volute is not a good thing if you or a co-musician is having a habit of knocking basses from their stands.
Either is perfectly playable btw...

Have you ever seen the back of the neck near the headstock on an old Ric 4001? I wonder if that would be in the way.

Anyway, let's talk Warwicks.

Thanks Kev, she's in for repairs at moment with McIntyre guitars in Edinburgh. Getting an intermittent popping noise which I cant locate. Chris comes very highly rated so will see how we get on. I've had it from new in 1989 and still not a mark on it. Has only done a few gigs back in 90's and occasional studio work.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1390765427' post='2349281']
Thanks Kev, she's in for repairs at moment with McIntyre guitars in Edinburgh. Getting an intermittent popping noise which I cant locate. Chris comes very highly rated so will see how we get on. I've had it from new in 1989 and still not a mark on it. Has only done a few gigs back in 90's and occasional studio work.

Dave
[/quote]

Awesome, my SSII is currently with a luthier getting a pro setup, terrified of truss rods when they don't just turn smoothly!

Edited by Kev