Why become a member? ×

BBC : Breaking News: Girl playing left handed bass guitar!

JPAC

[quote name='OldGit' post='519985' date='Jun 21 2009, 03:09 PM']Weird statistics .. How many school have harps? Even here in Wales they are a rarity ...[/quote]

i was thinking that too...

i think we all knew this already, but still it's a shame things aren't closer to 50/50 for contemporary instruments like guitar, bass, and drums.

I'm just not sure how useful those statistics are in examining this issue. Taking up an instrument in school is rarely a free choice from what I've seen or heard about.

E.g. I remember once asking about playing the oboe (no idea why, I was young) and was told they didn't have any more oboes but could play violin if I wanted. So if this study was done back then, I would have been in the wrong stat for a reason completely irrelevant to my gender.

[quote name='Eight' post='520023' date='Jun 21 2009, 04:15 PM']I'm just not sure how useful those statistics are in examining this issue. Taking up an instrument in school is rarely a free choice from what I've seen or heard about.

E.g. I remember once asking about playing the oboe (no idea why, I was young) and was told they didn't have any more oboes but could play violin if I wanted. So if this study was done back then, I would have been in the wrong stat for a reason completely irrelevant to my gender.[/quote]

back then I wass at school they asked people in assembely who wanted to play what instruments as an after school/break extra activity, I SO wanted to play the drums but they wouldnt let me cause they didnt think id stick it out. was well guttered, im 25 now and finally bought some drums.. Rolland electric things, cost me just under a grand... used them half a dousen times. I now see what they were on about. lol.

[quote name='Eight' post='520023' date='Jun 21 2009, 04:15 PM']I'm just not sure how useful those statistics are in examining this issue. Taking up an instrument in school is rarely a free choice from what I've seen or heard about.

E.g. I remember once asking about playing the oboe (no idea why, I was young) and was told they didn't have any more oboes but could play violin if I wanted. So if this study was done back then, I would have been in the wrong stat for a reason completely irrelevant to my gender.[/quote]

It can depend quite a lot on where you live - I teach guitar and bass in schools in the Northants area, and I have loads of female students (at one point recently I had more girls doing bass than boys!) The county music service has quite a relaxed attitude to kids doing pretty much what they like with very few limitations that I've noticed. (Don't think they can do double bass in primary schools though :) )

So Julianne Regan's a bass guitarist eh? Last time I saw her she was sporting a strat and before that a Ricky 360. In fact I've seen her live maybe a dozen times and she's never played bass. I still get all gooey when I remember her smiling at me last time I saw her. Phoar.