Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot V6 and matching 4 x 12 with horn

mr gig

I use a smaller Trace combo for gigs, so the V6 and cab are not getting any use. It's an all original V6 400watt all valve head and matching Trace Elliot 4 x 12 cab with built in tweeter. All in very good condition, couple of nicks on the cabinet, but nothing really noticable. It's very loud, sounds like three 70's Fender Bassmans at once and fairly heavy! Made in 1998/99 or thereabouts. All the valves are original - I could put in new preamp valves if you like.
They are in Milton Keynes if anyone's interested. (You are talking serious money for gear like this - the heads alone go for around a grand these days). Here's your chance to get a stunning bass sound and totally drown out the drummer - yeah!
Gordon.

Edited by mr gig

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='54212' date='Sep 2 2007, 03:28 PM']Stunning sounding amp but I think you need to add about 20 years to your make date :)[/quote]

Hi mate - you're right there - I was thinking about the manufacture date of my Precision for some weird reason! I've edited the manufacturing dates to 1998/99 from 1978/79 for those who read this far down the postings!

Edited by mr gig

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='54210' date='Sep 2 2007, 03:26 PM']You should get some good response to this but you'll help yourself out if you post a couple images!

Good luck[/quote]

Thanx mate - I'll break out the camera and see if I can get some good shots of it.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='54224' date='Sep 2 2007, 03:46 PM']Your bang on with the Bassman like sound a cracking amp wish I still had mine :) worst thing I ever did.[/quote]
Sell your granny and buy these then! :huh:

Edited by mr gig

[quote name='mr gig' post='54309' date='Sep 2 2007, 06:12 PM']It's only money, mate! Once you've played through a Trace valve rig, there ain't no going back. Transistors belong in radios.... :)[/quote]
Yes, guess so.. I have a valve in my AH400SMX, though an all valve would be something else. I cant afford anything like that, this one has a great sound anyway!! I am very much into tight clean bass sounds, and sometimes turn the valve blend right down on it, maybe a valve head wouldn't be my thing? I need to change the current valve for a more warmer sounding unit at some stage.. Swap my stack for your rig? :huh: Naaa...I love my rig to bits, as I have posted before, it was to be my dream rig of rigs, and it sure is!!! :huh:

Good luck with the sale anyway!
Best Wishes,
Matt :huh:

Edited by overwater#1

[quote name='overwater#1' post='54320' date='Sep 2 2007, 06:39 PM']Yes, guess so.. I have a valve in my AH400SMX, though an all valve would be something else. I cant afford anything like that, this one has a great sound anyway!! I am very much into tight clean bass sounds, and sometimes turn the valve blend right down on it, maybe a valve head wouldn't be my thing? I need to change the current valve for a more warmer sounding unit at some stage.. Swap my stack for your rig? :huh: Naaa...I love my rig to bits, as I have posted before, it was to be my dream rig of rigs, and it sure is!!! :)

Good luck with the sale anyway!
Best Wishes,
Matt :huh:[/quote]
You're absolutely right mate - once you have a rig with a sound you love, stick with it!
If you do ever get the chance to play through an all valve amp, try some popping/slapping/just playing hard. The way a valve power amp unloads a sudden note sounds like a rifle shot! I've played a lot of transistor amps and transistor amps with a valve preamp to warm up the sound, but they never have the attack of a valve power amp section. I use mainly a Trace Elliot Valve Twin Combo, which has a Trace solid state preamp and a Trace valve power amp with two KT88s in it - sort of a third of a V6. It's rated at 110 watts, but that's a valve amp. It will easily stay with a 200 watt solid state amp and sound better (to me). It weighs a whole lot less than the V6 rig too!
Keep making those low notes - bass players do it deeper! :huh:
Mr Gig

[quote name='3V17C' post='54443' date='Sep 2 2007, 09:54 PM']i used to use one of these 4x12 cabs - absolutely awesome sound - in fact i'm thinking about going back down the 4x12 route again....

peace

c[/quote]
I guess it's all about moving air at bass frequencies and a 4 x 12 will move nearly twice as much air as a 2x 15 cabinet. Also the more bass speakers you have next to eachother, the more sound you get per watt as they act together. Sorry 'bout the physics lesson, but it does work out in real life!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='54496' date='Sep 2 2007, 11:19 PM']I want to go to a lighter set up, then this turns up. Have to carry guitar and bass and drums up and down 4 flights of stairs every week, by the time we set up we need oxygen. :)[/quote]
Blimey - that sounds like hard work! I own recording and rehearsal studios which are up one nasty flight of stairs so I took pity on the bands and put in free backline amps as well as the PAs in the studios. For the lazy drummer, drum kits are cheap to hire here too.
I think Milton Keynes would be a bit far for you to travel though...

[quote name='mr gig' post='54455' date='Sep 2 2007, 10:17 PM']I guess it's all about moving air at bass frequencies and a 4 x 12 will move nearly twice as much air as a 2x 15 cabinet.[/quote]
That's true

[quote name='mr gig' post='54455' date='Sep 2 2007, 10:17 PM']Also the more bass speakers you have next to eachother, the more sound you get per watt as they act together. Sorry 'bout the physics lesson, but it does work out in real life![/quote]
That isn't necessarily true. I'm sure someone will come along and point out the fact that speakers in a vertical array are far superior to speakers side by side.

Cheers,

[quote name='TPJ' post='54570' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:56 AM']That's true
That isn't necessarily true. I'm sure someone will come along and point out the fact that speakers in a vertical array are far superior to speakers side by side.

Cheers,[/quote]
It also affects their dispersion pattern, but I was comparing a 4 x 12 to a pair of 15s and trying to keep it simple :)

[quote name='3V17C' post='54443' date='Sep 2 2007, 09:54 PM']i used to use one of these 4x12 cabs - absolutely awesome sound - in fact i'm thinking about going back down the 4x12 route again....[/quote]
I SO didn't need to read that! :huh: I missed out on a metal grilled one on Ebay a couple of weeks ago which went for fairly reasonable money because I prevaricated. :) Oh well, hopefully a pair of Acmes will be coming soon. :huh: