Why become a member? ×

Red, Sparkly Bass *Shuker Build*

largo

I know what you mean. Mine was supposed to be ready at the begining of this week. I phoned Jon and he's up to his neck (sorry :)) trying to get basses ready for bass day this weekend.

I found myself telling him to leave it to the following weekend :huh: Now I'm picking it up on the 17th. Its a 4.5 hour drive each way, but I couldn't face sitting by the front door waiting for a delivery van for a week!

At the end of the day he's a nice guy, but probably a bit over optimistic on his build time estimates.

"Am I just too nice on the phone, I always tell Jon it's no hassle and just to send the bass when he's ready."

" found myself telling him to leave it to the following weekend "

Yup me too ...
However it's a bit harsh to have a go at Jon for not shipping the basses if you said it was Ok to wait a bit ...

[quote name='largo' post='84910' date='Nov 7 2007, 01:54 PM']What does he need to do Bass Day for ? Sounds to me like he's too busy already.[/quote]

Because making basses on your own for a living is a precarious business and he needs a full order book to ensure he can feed his family and pay the mortgage ..
Be grateful you got in now before his prices and build time estimates rise to control the demand.

[quote name='largo' post='84929' date='Nov 7 2007, 02:25 PM']I'm not having a go at Jon, just a good old fashioned moan.
But, as much as I believe in you get what you give ... How come the nice guys are always the ones that get shafted ?[/quote]

Ha ha yeah ...
Jon's a nice guy trying to do everything for everyone (both customers and family)
I suspect he doesn't shout at the suppliers and services that let him down either ...

I'd rather have him like this than on time but nasty, grumpy and expensive :)

Don't worry, 48 hours after you have your basses this will all be forgotten ....

Edited by OldGit

So you were able to wait a year for a sei but you can't wait an extra week for your Shuker? Only joking of course! That would get my goat too. The bass looks like it'll be worth the extra wait though.

I plan to ferry it from Belfast to collect my Shuker when it's ready so count yourself lucky that it's only 4.5 hours each way!

[quote name='Tinman' post='84972' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:13 PM']+ an awful lot.

In fact I'd say 10 minutes after you get them :)[/quote]

I'm still feeling the joy over a year later! I'm not gonna turn ths around into an ass kissing contest, but I just want to say that EVERY time I open my guitar case i feel good. It's even better when I get people asking if they can have a little play on my Shuker..Seeing them contend with such a beast puts a smile on my face too!

It's pretty lame to quote 12 weeks and take 7 months. That's twice as long as quoted. If I did that in my job people wouldn't use my company anymore.

"Being busy" isn't a good enough excuse for taking twice as long as quoted to finish the project. This isn't Wembly :)

Edited by Toasted

Bare in mind that in my case, Joe, he was hit by the floods which delayed him considerably, as well as Nordstrand taking an age to send pickups. But in essence, I'm in agreement. However, when I play the bass, it all seems worth it - and doesn't seem fragile at all! :ph34r:

Well it's not as if we weren't all appraised of the reasons for delay as we went along.
He can't just get in subcontractors to knock off a few sets of custom tuners or Nordstrand or custom pickups if he suppliers are slow to deliver ..

Maybe he should suffix his estimates with "if nothing unexpected happens"

Yeah, my only argument on that would be....

Jon takes a big enough deposit to purchase most if not all of the components at the start of the build. It's just that he doesn't :0(
So an 8 week delay in parts shouldn't matter in the whole process as I'm guessing the main woodworking takes a few weeks to begin with.
I'd happily pay more deposit to cover all parts up front if that would help him too.

Edited by largo

But if his lead times are caused by suppliers then why not just buy earlier.
For example I knew I wanted Nordstrand pickups and delay was 10 weeks because they were custom orders.
Buy them when I pay my deposit, not when the bass needs them and then a 10 week delay. Ask for money up front if it's additional costs.

Quoting longer lead times is fine if you've too much work but not if it's suppliers delaying.
Jon had a one off (hopefully) flood problem which delayed matters.

One reason I went to Jon was his build times, I didn't want to wait 6-8 months for my build.

[quote name='largo' post='85301' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:13 AM']But if his lead times are caused by suppliers then why not just buy earlier.
For example I knew I wanted Nordstrand pickups and delay was 10 weeks because they were custom orders.
Buy them when I pay my deposit, not when the bass needs them and then a 10 week delay. Ask for money up front if it's additional costs.

Quoting longer lead times is fine if you've too much work but not if it's suppliers delaying.
Jon had a one off (hopefully) flood problem which delayed matters.

One reason I went to Jon was his build times, I didn't want to wait 6-8 months for my build.[/quote]

You sound really p*ssed off Largo. Have you spoken to Jon directly about your feelings on this?

[quote name='largo' post='85268' date='Nov 8 2007, 09:34 AM']Yeah, my only argument on that would be....

Jon takes a big enough deposit to purchase most if not all of the components at the start of the build. It's just that he doesn't :0(
So an 8 week delay in parts shouldn't matter in the whole process as I'm guessing the main woodworking takes a few weeks to begin with.
I'd happily pay more deposit to cover all parts up front if that would help him too.[/quote]

Sure he's disorganised .. but given his other hoooooooge skill set, I can put up with that.

[quote name='dood' post='85318' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:53 AM']You sound really p*ssed off Largo. Have you spoken to Jon directly about your feelings on this?[/quote]
+1 here. You say it's just a moan, but the feedback would be better for Jon to hear and hopefully he won't get it second hand from here. Best to tell him your feelings really. He'd probably appreciate the comments.

No, i'm not really p***ed off Dood, just a little disappointed at another delay. It's been floods, pickups, couriers and more.

I know Jon's busy and I know he's working his ar** off for Bass Day. The last thing he needs right now is me moaning at him, what more can he do now. Besides, I've called him this morning and the bass is on it's way. Woohoo !

On the plus side, Jon has been very helpful regards my bass build.
He's gone out of his way to customise my bass to exactly how I wanted it, and I will use him again. This is what having a custom build is all about. Martin at Sei no longer does builds away from his product portfolio and the reason I moved to Jon was because he does. Just this time I'll be a bit more sceptical about build times. If he says 6 months then that's fine.

Believe it or not, i'm pretty easy going. I'm putting it down to age, 37 and turning into a grumpy old b******* !!!! Wait 'til I'm 50.

S

[quote name='largo' post='85344' date='Nov 8 2007, 11:26 AM']No, i'm not really p***ed off Dood, just a little disappointed at another delay. It's been floods, pickups, couriers and more.

I know Jon's busy and I know he's working his ar** off for Bass Day. The last thing he needs right now is me moaning at him, what more can he do now. Besides, I've called him this morning and the bass is on it's way. Woohoo !

On the plus side, Jon has been very helpful regards my bass build.
He's gone out of his way to customise my bass to exactly how I wanted it, and I will use him again. This is what having a custom build is all about. Martin at Sei no longer does builds away from his product portfolio and the reason I moved to Jon was because he does. Just this time I'll be a bit more sceptical about build times. If he says 6 months then that's fine.

Believe it or not, i'm pretty easy going. I'm putting it down to age, 37 and turning into a grumpy old b******* !!!! Wait 'til I'm 50.

S[/quote]

Ha ha .. having a moan here is fine. It's massively frustrating not having your bass, especially when you know it's finished ...

Pics please!