Why become a member? ×

Can get back to work now, didnt get the gig!

51m0n

Bass Fascists. Whatever next!?

I rule my band with an iron fist. Nobody is allowed to tell others what to do or how to do it.

Actually, I just tend to encourage that, rather than demand it. But woe betide anyone telling me what to play... I mean, I listen like... I might even take some notice... but I don't tell you how to play your bit do I? Unless you play drums... then I might have some suggestions. Oh... and I'm gonna play the main riff in that bit so I think you should play some harmony over it...

Fascists indeed. String em up.

Sounds like you're better of without 'em...

Sorry to hear this didn't work out. I've been off on my hols and only got through this thread today, but I've been waiting with baited breath.

Better things will come along. It sounds like they didn't deserve you, from the messing around you've had with them.

[quote name='51m0n' post='525103' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:05 PM']Hey I admit I put the phone down and said "F*** You Then!" at that point, does that count as being professional still?

Felt great :rolleyes:[/quote]
Putting the phone down before saying what you think is always professional :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='525083' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:55 PM']Just got the call.

Didnt get the gig, some other fella 'fit' better, blah blah blah blah blah, sorry, thanks for all the effort, blah blah blah, mumble mumble.....

Right ho then.

Kinda relieved, to be honest, he even said on the phone that they consider themselves to be fascistic about the bass - phew![/quote]

what a load of sh*t!

i'm sorry to hear that dude, especially after two auditions -- but to be honest, it really does sound like you are better off without them. you will find something much better, i don't doubt it -- not to mention the fact you certainly deserve much better!

Look chaps, thanks for all the support, and baiting of breath and generally joining in. Its been more fun than the work side of it in a lot of ways.

I really believe these guys strung me along as the others who turned up weren't up to it. I dont think I'll ever bother with a 'second audition' again. It either clicks or it doesnt. You live and learn. Anyone thinking they would do a second audition I suggest you reread the thread and read between the lines a bit!

I suspected then (to a certain extent) and now (pretty much for sure) that they kept me as the fallback in case no one else turned up with a fender bass with mud strings who said yes and played less notes than the session player on the album. I really did play what he played, and tried to make it swing harder than he did (succeeded too IMO on the last go through their single). I dont think they really dug what he did - if you listen carefully I think he sounds a bit forced (and I should know I have listened to nothing else for two weeks solid).

I think its their loss, the chap they have now is a lot younger and I also suspect he's a mate of a mate who did a great job of saying yes to everything, rather than some old git with more experience and knowledge about bass who turns out to have scary good kit, and can play, and knows enough to say what will make things sound good, even if it doesn't gel with what they might think. I very much doubt the guy they have will put the work in that I am prepared to. Only because I've never met anyone else who does - with the exception of some of you lot I suspect :rolleyes: (but you're all bonkers too).

My understanding is that they've been thru about 4 bassists, and keep ending up back with the original. Its not cause no one can play - its cos they wont let anyone play how it feels right to them - bass fascists indeed - and they aren't willing to wait for a relationship to develop between the drummer and bassist. So the rhythm section keeps walking. Apparently the drummer is off soon :)

I dont know if better things will come along or not. It will have to be what I want to do, not what someone else says I must do. Still not interested in pants pub gigs these days though, which is severely limiting!

I did get asked to talk to some fellas in a funk rock outfit. Thing is I dont really do funk rock per se. But if I meet up and they say, 'play what feels good' I might just do that for a laugh....

Anyone on here get an offer from them - you have been properly forewarned :lol:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='525114' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:11 PM']I wonder if we could have forced a coup d'funk if I'd auditioned too? :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='51m0n' post='525292' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:32 PM']Mate I might have to steal that for a band name :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='rslaing' post='525352' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:23 PM']Just start your own band.............and choose your own musicians :)[/quote]

Absolutely.

I had a listen to their myspace - and they were fine - but very, very standard. You could put something together much better than that. Their drummer sounded great on record as did the brass. The rest of it was a bit average/dull. If the drummer can't keep time, then you don't need it at all.

Put your own band together. It's time!

[quote name='The Funk' post='531738' date='Jul 3 2009, 02:45 PM']Absolutely.

I had a listen to their myspace - and they were fine - but very, very standard. You could put something together much better than that. Their drummer sounded great on record as did the brass. The rest of it was a bit average/dull. If the drummer can't keep time, then you don't need it at all.

Put your own band together. It's time![/quote]

To give them their due they are all about that whole vintage vibe thing.

The drummer had real issues bringing the funk live, the bassist was a session player on those tracks (and I think he was struggling to 'fit' in the pocket in places with the drummer).

He could keep time, but not get the right time first time (which is as bad). Only way I know to get a drummer through this is to have them learn the chorus vox, and sing it back before every run through. My Tip For The Day :)

Well I'm going to talk to these here funky rocky dudes, and if they dont play out I may well start looking for the right drummer,guitaist & vox as a core to a new band (brass though nice is a PIA to get together IME). Been ridiculously busy last week, and havent got round to it yet....