Why become a member? ×

Exciting bidding pattern or am I just being cynical?

Owen

I don't think the bidding is as rigged as it looks at first glance, Owen.

The price had reached £550 by 23:13 on 13/Jun. Some shill bidding? Possibly.

Then Mr. X bid at least £1010 at 23:37 on 13/Jun. That would have shown up initially as a bid of £570.

Mr. Y then spent some time on the morning of 14/Jun testing that bid, and pushing it up in £50 increments until he reached £1000. Then he dropped out.

The driver at the moment is Mr. X. If he's the shill bidder then he's running a high-risk strategy. I think it's more likely that he's a genuine bidder.

[quote name='redstriper' post='514215' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:20 PM']It doesn't matter what the bid history looks like.
You decide the most you want to pay, then place your bid and wait and see.[/quote]

I would have put £700 on it, but someone else obviously REALLY wants it.

I guess that I can see the pattern more clearly now. I had not considered the "one huge bid" and someone else testing it theory.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='513598' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:28 PM']That's expensive for a bunch of Allparts bits that have been dragged behind a car.[/quote]

:) I bet these basses are superb and I would love to have a play on one. There's obviously a lot of work gone into getting the bass to that level of 'relic' and the attention to detail is second to none. I'd love a '60s Precision' like this but I just dont think I would pay more than £700 second hand but thats just me.