Why become a member? ×

70s Jazz Bass - long term itch, short-term quandary

Born 2B Mild

I love the trying out of different basses and their comings and goings. Right now, I don't even use a 4-string, BUT...

I have long fancied having a 1970s Jazz Bass as a cherished classic to keep, come what may. It's no doubt a yearning rooted in nostalgia. I first took up bass in '73 and first gigged in '75, and the sunburst jazz bass was my pin-up at the time.

What I would appreciate some informed views on is this...

Do I try and find an original of the 73 to 75 era, or do I use the equivalent budget on a modern day quality luthier-made version? Maybe you've had both and can share your experiences?

BTW here are some illogical 'must haves' for me...

Sunburst
Block inlays
Rosewood neck with neck edging

Bit like this reissue

Why does it have to be either an original, or a luthier-made bass? What's wrong with Fender's own reissues? The MiM Classic '70's Jazz Bass is a very good bass and Fender did a very good job catching some of the magic of a real '70's Jazz in it. The MIJ '75 Jazz is also well worth checking out. And if you're willing to spend serious money you could also look at the American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass, they're incredible basses. I believe there's one for sale on this forum right now.

I have a late 70s Precision and despite all the nasty things you hear about late 70s instruments the sound is incredible. Unfortunately it's a fretless and I'm totally useless on the fretless which is a bit depressing. Also, the paint application was obviously sub-standard as it is beginning to crack and lift.

If you have find a good one for a grand or so I think you could have a great instrument.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='507617' date='Jun 7 2009, 05:54 PM']I have long fancied having a 1970s Jazz Bass as a cherished classic to keep, come what may. It's no doubt a yearning rooted in nostalgia. I first took up bass in '73 and first gigged in '75, and the sunburst jazz bass was my pin-up at the time.

What I would appreciate some informed views on is this...

Do I try and find an original of the 73 to 75 era, or do I use the equivalent budget on a modern day quality luthier-made version? Maybe you've had both and can share your experiences?[/quote]

If you get a custom built bass built to the specs of a 70s Fender, you'll still want the Fender.

[quote name='redstriper' post='507759' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:10 PM']And as for the 80s..................... oh dear!
(waits for new backlash).[/quote]
Terrible. The Fullerton AV RIs are just awful basses. The Elites? The P Specials? Wretched firewood.

Hang on.. you're just repeating something some bloke told you in the pub, aren't you? :)

Try a 'Signature' from Goerdt Lamberts at Buildabass. He could match that Jazz up perfect at a fraction of the cost. I just bought one 2 weeks back and it's now my number one bass. Fender Jazz deluxe firmly locked away in case.

Great sound and superb action.

The Signature is a dream to play and also looks stunning. It's also 20 years old but looks brand new as the parts he has are all in storage from when Signature closed down in 1992.

All the best in whatever you decide.

Geoff

Here's the Jazz he made me.

[attachment=26718:My_new_Jazz_Bass.jpg]

Edited by SingLadies

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='507646' date='Jun 7 2009, 06:41 PM']you could also look at the American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass, they're incredible basses. I believe there's one for sale on this forum right now.[/quote]

I've just picked up one of these & am very impressed. Worth a try to see how Fender are 'copying' their own vintage basses.

Only comes in natural though I think :)

If it's an actual 70's Jazz bass you want, then that's what you should buy.

You're after a 70's Jazz not a modern copy. It will probably hold it's value better than a copy, and be much easier to sell on the open market, if you really need to.

Compared to other old basses, they're not that uncommon or really ludicrously expensive - go on, you know you want to!

If you can find an original 70's Jazz that appeals to you then I would say go for it. I recently took a real gamble and bought an original '77 on ebay from a guy in the US. I was a bit nervous having heard so many bad things about poor quality build, but I had always wanted a 77 (being my year of birth - silly reason, I know). I have to say that buying that bass is probably the best musical purchase decision I've ever made - it is simply an outstanding instrument! It plays so nicely with a rich smooth sustain - the slap tone is also ludicrously great. It is reasonably light which surprised me, although it is definitely an ash body. Sure, the neck pocket is a little generous but certainly not terrible, and overall I would say it is a well put together instrument. I get no trouble at all with the 3 bolt neck, in fact I have tried moving it by pulling at the neck and it won't budge. The bass has quickly become my number one gigging and practising bass. The cool thing is that it actually cost me less than the price of Fenders US reissue and hopefully won't lose any value.