Why become a member? ×

Which octave pedal with a fretless?

Delberthot

I currently have a Boss OC-2 and have been enjoying using it but since recently investing in a fretless, it doesn't seem to track particularly well on any notes that are held.

I know that Pino has used one for years but there's too much warble with the fretless.

I'm guessing that I will need to look at poly octave pedals.

Thing is, I really like the sound of the Boss - is there anything similar to it that will track better?

I haven't tried an OC-3 so don't know if it sounds the same or not.

Also, don't expect too low notes to track well; especially if you're on roundwounds there'll be plenty of harmonics to confuse the Octaver. The OC-3 is a bit better, due to the poly version and the bass input, but, hey, Pino used an OC-2 with a fretless!
Alot of his lines are played an octave higher than you'd expect.

I 'd definitely suggest playing with the controls on the pedal as well as the on-board eq. and see if that makes a difference. There's no reason why it being a fretless should make much a diference. As someone suggested, it may be the output of the bass which is causing trouble.

Although the new Mxr pedal sounds pretty damn good here-

The Boss pedal can struggle below C on a 4 string bass (I use one). Simple remedy... don't go below C! Seriously! Whilst playing an octaver why would you be playing in the lower register? Even if you have a phenomenal amp and cab(s) the lowest register sounds pants with any pedal (IMHO) :)

Among others, the Carl Martin and EBS are as good if not slightly better but you'll still end up splashing a wedge of cash and be finding fault regardless. I've tried some of the other pedals (and rack units) available and tbh the Boss may warble a bit on sustained notes etc but it is no worse than most and better than units costing twice the price; learn to play around it's weakness and enjoy what it does.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='505972' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:44 PM']The Boss pedal can struggle below C on a 4 string bass (I use one).[/quote]

my pearl octaver struggles below C as well. it works great for fretless, but as you say...

what are you doing down below low C anyway ?

ymmv au naturellement

+1 to a lot of what's been said.

People regularly think octavers are meant to simply add an octave below what you're already playing. Actually, the effect works best when you transpose what you're already playing up an octave, use the '-1 Octave' signal as your bass part, adding fluid warmth to your sound. Then use your normal signal almost as a '+1 Octave' to add clarity and definition.

Listen to a lot of classic fretless/octave playing and that's the way its used!

Since 5 stringers go down to a B (standard tuning), I suppose it makes sense for the Octave pedal to track that low (My OC2 is not too bad at an A on a good day). I realise there are a few ERB players around, and I suppose their F#s are beyond our reach with mere pedals (but we try!).

Dan

PS Fractured my elbow a fortnight ago. Didn't take any painkillers today and had a small whisky. *hic*

[quote name='DanOwens' post='506049' date='Jun 5 2009, 02:25 AM']+1 to a lot of what's been said.

People regularly think octavers are meant to simply add an octave below what you're already playing. Actually, the effect works best when you transpose what you're already playing up an octave, use the '-1 Octave' signal as your bass part, adding fluid warmth to your sound. Then use your normal signal almost as a '+1 Octave' to add clarity and definition.

Listen to a lot of classic fretless/octave playing and that's the way its used![/quote]

+1 to this and the other guys who have said the similar things.

When I first got an octaver I tried playing in the lower positions and in the end realised it it just sounded lumpy and bumpy. Transpose everything up an octave on the neck and it sounds great.

In terms of warble, I must say I actually quite like it. :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='506170' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:31 AM']I've always been happy with my Digitech BSW, and I'm gassing for a fretless so I'll let you know![/quote]

+1 for the BSW.

It works great with my fretless... all the way down to Low E.
I use it sparingly to add body to the sound.

When my old OC2 died the first replacement I tried was an OC3. To be honest, the reason I didn't like it as much was that you couldn't overload it in the way you can an OC2 - as I think the slightly unpredictable nature of an OC2 is part of its character. Of the others I tried, the EBS sounded the best to my ear - but anything other than an OC2 sounded too clean to me. So, picked up another OC2 used. Of course, like others, I avoid tracking issues by not straying below C - and five-string issues by sticking with only having four strings on any bass!

Hi y'all

I recently sold an OC-2 to a guy here on the forum, which I'd been using for the past 20 years. It sounded great on a fretted bass but only so-so on fretless, even with a lot of tweaking on the bass, pedal and amp and playing in a higher register. I also know a couple of other BPs who had a similar experience.

I recently bought an EBS Octabass and the difference is, to say the very least, huge. Clear and clean, tracks well in every position on the neck. While it sounds different to the OC-2 (ie not particularly synthy, more like a bass), that rich 'mwaar' sound that you want from a fretless couldn't sound richer (to my ears, anyway). In fact, with just a small amount of octave dialled up and a bit of reverb/chorus my fretless really sings.

Cheers and good luck :)

Just got the chance to read the responses.

The bass in question is my Squier Modified Fretless Jazz bass and the output is very similar to my Warmoth - ie, rather hot. I have the bass set with the bridge pickup on full and the neck one slightly lower.

With the Warmoth, it'll let me play an F# on the G string.

The main song in question is Billy Jean by Michael Jackson played in f# on the D string on the 4th fret

The riff at the end of the Paul Young song 'I'm gonna tear your playhouse down' starts on the 15th fret so I know how high you can go.

Edited by Delberthot

• 2 weeks later...