Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

Thanks guys. I appreciate your appreciation! @51mon, that's almost exactly how the conversation went... well kind of... However it was put though... it had to get sorted. Here's where we got to with the increased wall and height-gap for the glass:

The sharp-eyed will notice some block along the top of the wall which are a different colour. They are 'pad-stones' cast to take the weight of the steels which are coming next...

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1337468326' post='1660633']
Not long to wait:

This build is really coming along now, and it's looking absolutely phenomenal, and that window must be HUGE!

Liam
[/quote]

Get one of THOSE and I am definately popping round for a cold one and a looksie! I hear they are planning one based on the new Portaflex amps. They will only accept Ampeg beer though, and switch off if you put anything else in... :lol:

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1337517948' post='1661176'] Get one of THOSE and I am definately popping round for a cold one and a looksie! I hear they are planning one based on the new Portaflex amps. They will only accept Ampeg beer though, and switch off if you put anything else in... :lol: [/quote]

lol. +1 to that anyway, if I am ever in the west midlands and you don't mind having a visitor I wouldn't mind having a nose around the place. If I ever land my dream engineering job I will probably be building a studio in my house, albeit nothing on this sort of scale.

Yeah, all basschatters welcome (though not all at once!). Work continues. You can see the machine room wall appearing to the left and the soundlock appearing to the right:

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/Rimskidog/DSCN7375.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Rimskidog' timestamp='1337884331' post='1667003']
Yeah, all basschatters welcome (though not all at once!)
[/quote]

I might have to take you up on that next time my splitter van travels bring me through Brum, to good to pass up!

The place looks more and more impressive with every update, great to see somebody building a 'proper' studio in this age of bedroom chancery.

Machine room and soundlock walls now go all the way up the the steel beams.

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/Rimskidog/DSCN7378.jpg[/IMG]

We just have the live room door to cut out of the old blockwork and then it will be time to get the carpenters in.

So the front wall is now complete and the new live room door has been cut through. Other than that, not much happened in the last couple of weeks due to a complete disappearance of the contractor from site again.

Here's a wider angle shot of the front wall:

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/Rimskidog/f871f3bb.jpg[/IMG]

and a close up of the new door from the CR soundlock into the liveroom:

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/Rimskidog/66d601eb.jpg[/IMG]

To be honest, there arent many things left to do in this phase now other than duct for cables and screed the floors in the CR alongside work in the new space building an office, wiring for clean and dirty power etc.

Now, if everyone would just get their finger out we might even be open in time for the next booking at the end of July. Sadly though, this week is a public holiday in the UK so I suspect not much will happen again...

Looking pretty awesome. Shame about the contractors, I am not really so fussed about this whole jubilee thing either to be honest.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1337952740' post='1667965']
The place looks more and more impressive with every update, great to see somebody building a 'proper' studio in this age of bedroom chancery.
[/quote]

Don't diss bedroom chancery! :P

Edited by EdwardHimself

Thanks guys. Meeting with main contractor tomorrow so maybe they will get their finger out now...!

As an aside, I was strolling down Denmark Street last week and saw this in the window:

I couldn't resist. It now lives in the studio :-D

Edited by Rimskidog

Thanks man. It's a 1966. It's been refinished sometime in it's life and had it's frets removed but, as I'm a player rather than a collecter, I don't care much. The jauntily angled jazz pickup has to go but as it's been routed I'm just gonna replace it with a Seymour Duncan SMB-4D.

Edited by Rimskidog

We had a site meeting today and have realised that the sequencing of events becomes quite complicated now as several things need to happen in a particular order:

1. the new live room glass needs to arrive before we can brick up the back wall of the CR, the back wall needs to be bricked up before we can frame and start treating it;

2. the new external security doors need to be fitted and the alarm extended before we can breach the wall between the two buildings

and trickiest of all

3. the gear ramp needs to be concreted in before the security door is fitted but after the wall has been breached (you'll have spotted the problem by now...)

In positive news, we have been given a date by the glass company for delivery of the CR glass, so that window begins to close (doh!). Also, after much scratching of heads we think we have found a work around or the sequencing issue so, all in all, it's been a good day!

Had the electrician in all day doing the wiring plan yesterday. Turns out that the two different mains supplies in the two different units are on different phases so the plan is to have all the clean power (control room and live rooms) come from one unit and all the dirty power (office, kitchen, alarms and aircon) come from the other. We've allowed for 9 double sockets in each production room on radials and 3 lighting circuits in each room. In the machine room there'll be a sub-master from the clean supply and a bank of sockets, the control room will have floor mounted sockets under the racks and a radial around the room for laptops etc. He's also extending the fire alarm and smoke detectors into the new unit (the company that fitted the fire alarm in the first place has disappeared).

Next week, the steel doors arrive and ADP are coming out to extend the intruder alarm to the new unit. Control room glass arrives next Wednesday.

Sorry... no pictures today.

Yes.

Finally I can report that carpentry on the control room began today. This is gonna leave things a bit tight as I have a booking to track an album for August and I'm thinking that, at this point, we may not even be completely finished. No pressure then...

After all the delays and having the room down for so long budget is also getting tight. To ensure it doesn't get too painfully tight we may even have to cut a few corners (7 acoustic doors at almost 3k each are looking like a likely casualty) with the intention of upgrading them over a period once we have money coming in the door again. That said, we are continuing to make substantial investments to ensure that, with almost 2000 sq feet of tracking space: 18 foot ceilings and a stone room as well as our API desk and ATC monitors, this is a world class tracking studio. In addition, Northward Acoustics work on the control room should, if Thomas's calculations are correct, show this to be one of the flattest control rooms in the country!

So, we're finally on the home straight. Hang on for the ride... It might be a rough one...!