Why become a member? ×

There's no ZING in my strings.

AM1

I don't know if it's the done thing to hijack one's own thread, but, you haven't lived until you've seen a tramp in Stoke, sleeping on a bench, with his crutches tied to himself, to prevent anyone stealing them!!!

I mean, it's not good when you have to worry about someone nicking yer crutches while you have a quick kip!

[quote name='AM1' post='494256' date='May 21 2009, 02:02 PM']I don't know if it's the done thing to hijack one's own thread, but, you haven't lived until you've seen a tramp in Stoke, sleeping on a bench, with his crutches tied to himself, to prevent anyone stealing them!!!

I mean, it's not good when you have to worry about someone nicking yer crutches while you have a quick kip![/quote]

Of course, when said tramp wakes up in the morning, it will be on the floor as the bench would have been nicked in the night to sell to the scrap metal merchants...

Got to love Stoke.

Quite a few interesting venues in Stoke. Any "Gardeners" fans?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='494259' date='May 21 2009, 02:09 PM']Of course, when said tramp wakes up in the morning, it will be on the floor as the bench would have been nicked in the night to sell to the scrap metal merchants...

Got to love Stoke.

Quite a few interesting venues in Stoke. Any "Gardeners" fans?[/quote]

I've actually met some really decent people from Stoke though - in London, you don't get the time of day.

[quote name='AM1' post='494265' date='May 21 2009, 02:17 PM']I've actually met some really decent people from Stoke though - in London, you don't get the time of day.[/quote]

That's because in London you are never more than 1 metre away from a t*at. (that's how the saying goes right?!)

[quote name='AM1' post='493126' date='May 20 2009, 11:36 AM']Thanks for the tip.

I think as I get older, I sweat (sorry, glow) more! Haha.

Now this has changed my reasoning about gig clothes - let me give you an example. On a recent gig, I ended up mega sweaty as usual, flat out punk bass gigs tend to do that plus if you're a natural sweat-machine, well, it's ten fold. Anyway so I got mega sweaty, ended up extremely pissed and woke up on a random sofa, having slept in said sweaty clothes, overall situation normal, that top then went in the washing basket, anyway it came to the next gig and...shameful confession time, I thought f*ck it, I'm not getting a clean top sweaty, so I got the previous rancid one out of the basket, put it back on and played in it again!

The plus point of this is you can dodge buying a round all night cos no one wants to get near you to challenge your skinflint ways.

HAHAHAHA!!!! :)

I think we should have a poll - how many gigs in a row, have you played in the same, stinky, sweaty, damp old threads. Haha.[/quote]

You dodge rounds anyway and when you do buy one, its like trying to get blood out of a stone. You nearly took the pattern of that Jagermeister glass the other night, I thought you were going to try and ring it out.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='494282' date='May 21 2009, 02:30 PM']You dodge rounds anyway and when you do buy one, its like trying to get blood out of a stone. You nearly took the pattern of that Jagermeister glass the other night, I thought you were going to try and ring it out.[/quote]

Ha, at least I didn't crash out on the tube then have to pinball it back, the long road home, whilst shovelling in a rat-bab from the local dog-meat purveyor.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

[quote name='AM1' post='494290' date='May 21 2009, 02:34 PM']Ha, at least I didn't crash out on the tube then have to pinball it back, the long road home, whilst shovelling in a rat-bab from the local dog-meat purveyor.

HAHAHAHA!!!![/quote]

rat-bab - hehe.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='494325' date='May 21 2009, 03:03 PM']I like Stoke. It looks horrible but the people are friendly, an excellent combination.

I've never been to The Garderner's but I work right by it.[/quote]

Check these guys out when they are next there - [url="http://independent-web.co.uk/barflys/index.asp"]http://independent-web.co.uk/barflys/index.asp[/url]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='494329' date='May 21 2009, 03:08 PM']I've heard of them, but I don't think it's my cup of tea and i'm not the type to go to a gig just to watch good musicians. Still, I should get myself a gig there![/quote]

Eh? You'll go to a gig to watch [i]crap[/i] musicians??

[quote name='cheddatom' post='494343' date='May 21 2009, 03:17 PM']No, I go to gigs where I enjoy the music, as in when it's "my cup of tea".[/quote]

Ah! OK. That makes a little more sense!

So what is your cup of tea?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='494350' date='May 21 2009, 03:21 PM']Are you more of a Sugar Mill fan?![/quote]

I used to see bands there quite a lot, and played there quite a few times. There hasn't been anyone that i've been aware of and/or liked on recently.

The Rigger is the best venue, but that's in Newcastle really.

EDIT: Wait a minute, did a pun just fly over my head?

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='494356' date='May 21 2009, 03:25 PM']The Rigger is the best venue, but that's in Newcastle really.[/quote]
If you mean Newcastle-under-Lyme then please qualify your comment. Don't want anyone confusing that place with the [i]real[/i] Newcastle (God's county upon Tyne).

[quote name='Eight' post='494367' date='May 21 2009, 03:40 PM']If you mean Newcastle-under-Lyme then please qualify your comment. Don't want anyone confusing that place with the [i]real[/i] Newcastle (God's county upon Tyne).[/quote]

I heard yo' mama came from Newcastle (under-lyme).

[quote name='Eight' post='494367' date='May 21 2009, 03:40 PM']If you mean Newcastle-under-Lyme then please qualify your comment. Don't want anyone confusing that place with the [i]real[/i] Newcastle (God's county upon Tyne).[/quote]

What do you mean? We ARE talking about the Newcastle way up north.

I like Elites, I think quite a few people here use them. I usually change them once every 2-3 months depending on how many gigs I've played and how much practice I've done. I find they have a long life. I don't sweat that much so can't comment on the effects of sweat on string life. In the past I've used lots of different brands and found Elites to be the ones that work best for me. If you're looking for a place to bulk buy strings then Strings Direct is the place I would recommend. I'm sure there's plenty of other places online to buy from though.

I met a guy once who told me he boiled his string in oil (Engine oil, not vegetable oil) to clean them and imporve tone! Not sure if there was any truth to this. Apparently it works quite well on old bike chains as well.