Why become a member? ×

westfield basses

recently ive been playing a westfield B1000 as the bassist from my previous band left it here...... i think ive fallen in love.

it feels perfect, it sound awesome through my MAG 300 and im beggining to like it more than my t-bird.... i want one, anyone selling or know a cheap enough place to get one? (preferably black).
although i feel i now have a problem, i love collecting guitars, would another one harm? please someone help me.

You usually see a lot of Westfield gear on ebay, but otherwise, have a look at the Westfield site and see if they list UK suppliers.

These seem to be the ones closest to you...

Westfield Dealers in the Yorkshire area.

City Company Address Phone
Barnsley PJ's Music Supplies 57 High Street Dodsworth
Beverley Beverley Music Centre 14 Norwood
Cleethorpes River Music 27 High Street 01472 600912
Doncaster E Smedley & Son 19 Printing Office Street
Doncaster Electro Music 60 Copley Road
Goole Discovery Trading 59 Pasture Road
Halifax Maestro Music 59 The Piecehall
Hull Antones Guitars 326 Beverley Road
Leeds Northern Guitar Centre 41 Call Lane
Leeds Band Supplies 7 Hunslet Road 01132 453097 EMAIL WEB
Leeds Big Deal 6 Eastgate
Leeds Red House Music 254 Tinshill Road 0113 261 1414
Manchester Johnny Roadhouse Music 123 Oxford Road All Saints 0161 273 1111 EMAIL WEB
Rotherham Guitar Bazaar 151 Effingham Street
Sheffield Wavelength 161/165 London Road
Wakefield Superbuy 25 Market Way
York Rock Ola 22 Walm Gate
York Bulmers 1/7 Lord Mayors Walk
York Banks & Sons 18 Lendal

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

or try:
Liverpool Frets Old & New 294 Longmoor Lane Fazakeley
Manchester Johnny Roadhouse Music 123 Oxford Road All Saints
Manchester Forsyth Brothers 126/128 Deansgate
Mold Back Alley Music 5 Chester Street
Runcorn Frailers 89 Church Street
Warrington Aardvark Music 67 Bridge Street
Wexham The Music Place 30 Brook Street
Widness The Music Stall Greenoakes Shopping Centre Bradley Street

[quote name='Russ' post='493446' date='May 20 2009, 04:49 PM']To be honest, every Westfield I've ever tried has been cheap, unplayable and boxy-sounding sh!te.[/quote]

That describes the Stingray copy I got my nephew to a tee. I've just seen a Vintage Stingray copy go for over £100 second-hand. I know Vintage have a slightly better repuation but I couldn't help seeing the similarities. Not sure if they're made in the same factory or not though.

[quote name='razze06' post='493989' date='May 21 2009, 10:02 AM']According to their [url="http://www.westfieldguitar.co.uk/westfield/info_about.asp"]website[/url] , westfields are made in bonny east kilbride near glasgow. They also make sheridan, lauren and boston brands.[/quote]

It's not often you hear "bonny" and "East Kilbride" in the same sentence! I'd put proper money on it that they don't make a thing in EK. It'll just be a buying-from-the-far-east-and-sticking-a-badge-on operation.

I don't really buy into all this "Its all about what country its made in". A lot of people slag off Korean-made instruments but I've had quality guitars and basses made in Korea and I mean really nice. It was the same in the 1980s when people were knocking Japanese instruments but they have stood the test of time and are top quality, easily on a par with U.S. instruments. Then you've got the Mexican Fender argument - they are great instruments in their own right, there's nothing wrong with them.
I think you've just got to take each instrument on its own individual merit. Individual quality control comes into it a lot, and to be honest it's not down the country of manufacture which determines the level of QC. Take Gibson for examples, they do have QC isues and some of the guitars they pump out are really bad QC wise. I noticed one in Denmark Street (a Gibson Explorer) which had a section of paint on the back that looked like the surface of an orange peel. How it got through QC I'll never know. Thats not an isolated case either.
In 90% of cases you'll get what you pay for. A £99 bass will never have the quality and workmanship of a bass costing over £500. However you do get the odd diamond in the dog-sh*t like the Squier Vintage which are great.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='494870' date='May 22 2009, 08:31 AM']I don't really buy into all this "Its all about what country its made in".[/quote]

...but don't you realise that this is important in maintaining the snobbery around musical instruments and keeping the prices of the Big Brands artificially high?

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='494878' date='May 22 2009, 08:51 AM']...but don't you realise that this is important in maintaining the snobbery around musical instruments and keeping the prices of the Big Brands artificially high?[/quote]

In the middle of the market the Japanese (particularly Yamaha and Ibanez) have shown how it's done. Spot on quality every time for not much money. Of course, even they make just about everything in Taiwan, Indonesia etc. If you want some guy with a beard in New York to craft it by hand then you get to pay a fortune. If the end result is actually any better is, I suppose, a matter of opinion.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='494878' date='May 22 2009, 08:51 AM']...but don't you realise that this is important in maintaining the snobbery around musical instruments and keeping the prices of the Big Brands artificially high?[/quote]

In the words of Bill Hicks - "If you're in marketing, kill youself now. This isn't a joke, really...kill yourself now. You are Satan's little helpers".

Dead right about Yamaha and Ibanez. Same can be said for Washburn too...have stuff made in Japan, Korea, Indonesia etc. and all make high quality instruments. The thing to be borne in mind is that many are made in the same factory using the same machines and just differ in design.
Schecter are a good example of how they get the best of both worlds, parts manufactured in Korea and assembled in the U.S. - which in my mind doesn't make any difference to the end result. If the parts of an Encore P-bass were transported to heaven and assembled by God, it'd still be a sh*t playing and sounding bass due to the cheap components used in the first place.

Sounds like you lucked out. If you like the one you're playing why not try and buy it? You'll probably travel a long way and try mucho crap basses before you find one that's as good.

I'm not ashamed to admit I bought a Westfield P-bass a while back... only paid 20 quid for it mind you!

hmm maybe it could just be pot luck then if there is so much against them :/ it will be on its way home soon

maybe i shall just save to get a real precision
ill be putting some bobbins up for sale soon if anyones interested

Line 6 Bass Floor Pod (as new) £100
Kramer Imperial £150
Yamaha power V drum kit (considering sale) candy apple red