Why become a member? ×

Basses signed by Noel Redding

Beedster

Am I going mad or is this the third or fourth bass (allegedly) signed by NR to appear on ebay in the lest few months? If so, is 'signed by NR' the new 'found in my uncle's attic'?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-1977-USA-Ash-body-very-light_W0QQitemZ270392037416QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item270392037416&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A100"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...3A1%7C294%3A100[/url]

That's being sold by Steve Treble who has been bringing in and selling vintage stuff from the states for years. He has/had a shop in Bristol and has always been a fine guy to deal with.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='491079' date='May 18 2009, 07:51 AM']I don't believe Noel Redding signed all these basses 'cos he's dead isn't he? Mind you, he died relatively young and I do believe he was survived by an uncle who lives in an attic room somewhere and perhaps he is responsible for the signatures.[/quote]
He only died in 2003 and he had a pub in Clonakilty that had bands on at the weekend (his own band played on a Friday I think, can't remember - anyway), I suppose it's feasible that people in for a pint or to watch or play in bands could have got him to sign their gear.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='491106' date='May 18 2009, 09:01 AM']He only died in 2003 and he had a pub in Clonakilty that had bands on at the weekend (his own band played on a Friday I think, can't remember - anyway), I suppose it's feasible that people in for a pint or to watch or play in bands could have got him to sign their gear.[/quote]

Maybe that's why it's not stupidly expensive ....

[quote name='Golchen' post='491114' date='May 18 2009, 09:18 AM']I can't see why anyone would want a signed instrument? I wouldn't.[/quote]

Ageed - it just looks like graffitti to me and if people think it makes the bass worth more I take the opposite view. Having said that, I always kind of regret turning down a pre-CBS Precision offered by a bloke in a pub in Benwell for 150 quid on the basis some twit had carved the word 'Funk' in the heel of the neck.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='491120' date='May 18 2009, 09:27 AM']Ageed - it just looks like graffitti to me and if people think it makes the bass worth more I take the opposite view. Having said that, I always kind of regret turning down a pre-CBS Precision offered by a bloke in a pub in Benwell for 150 quid on the basis some twit had carved the word 'Funk' in the heel of the neck.[/quote]
Benwell? You sure that was an "n" in Funk? :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='491120' date='May 18 2009, 09:27 AM']Ageed - it just looks like graffitti to me and if people think it makes the bass worth more I take the opposite view. Having said that, I always kind of regret turning down a pre-CBS Precision offered by a bloke in a pub in Benwell for 150 quid on the basis some twit had carved the word 'Funk' in the heel of the neck.[/quote]

Small world... I bought that very same bass. It was an absolute pig at first, but plays great now that I defretted it and swapped out the horrible old flatwounds for rotosounds. I'm thinking about routing it for a Kahler.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='491206' date='May 18 2009, 11:08 AM']Benwell? You sure that was an "n" in Funk? :)[/quote]

Actually now you mention it the 'n' did look a bit sideways. I was told the bass had 'apparently' been the one that recorded the song 'Bercadette' by the Fower Terps.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='491234' date='May 18 2009, 11:46 AM']Small world... I bought that very same bass. It was an absolute pig at first, but plays great now that I defretted it and swapped out the horrible old flatwounds for rotosounds. I'm thinking about routing it for a Kahler.[/quote]

I trust you've also had it sprayed metallic purple and replaced the pickup with something tasty like an Artec soapbar.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='491247' date='May 18 2009, 12:06 PM']Actually now you mention it the 'n' did look a bit sideways. I was told the bass had 'apparently' been the one that recorded the song 'Bercadette' by the Fower Terps.[/quote]
:)

Might it also have been used on their 1969 song, "What is a Mac"? :rolleyes:

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='491250' date='May 18 2009, 12:08 PM']I trust you've also had it sprayed metallic purple and replaced the pickup with something tasty like an Artec soapbar.[/quote]

Pink Sparkle and a 2Tek bridge FTW!

My dad used to look vaguely like Billy Bremner (he was also Scottish which helped) & he was always being asked for his autograph.

For years he used to politely decline and say he wasn't Mr B but people kept bothering him and eventually he just started signing autographs but saying he really didn't want to talk about his footballing career.

Many years later I heard a tale on the Danny Baker show about people having two entirely different Billy B autographs and wondering if someone had been passing himself off as Billy. Obviously there could ahve been more than one person doing this though, lol.