Why become a member? ×

The benefits of a 0.145 B string

...particularly if it's tapered.

I changed my 0.135 B string to a 0.145 last week and found much improved tension.  It felt much closer to the other strings tension wise.  I would have preferred a little more output and I was considering seeing if I could raise the pole pieces on my fiver's pups.  The biggest drawback was, see the photo, the end of the string didn't fit through my bridge string hole.

So I ordered a (D'AddarioXLB145T) tapered version, it was waiting for me when I got home from work today.  It fits perfectly and because the tapered section fits over the bridge saddle, the fatter bit of the string is lower against the pups and has, I believe, boosted the output of the string.  At least, that's what it feels like after one short practice session.

I'm not a very experienced 5 string player, I've been playing solely 4 strings for over a year and a half and I find them more comfortable.  The set of the function band I've just joined is difficult to do without the extended range, so I've dusted off my fiver...and now with this 0.145 string, I've lost the urge to go for 35" or multi scale fivers.  My 34" fiver sounds great.

Anyone else use 0.145 strings in their fiver, or even thicker strings?

IMG_1153.jpeg

Nope - I use a 125 B - but a DR Lo-Rider. Like you, was hunting for more tension - loved the sound of the Hi-Beams but wanted a bit more tension, which is where the Lo-Rider comes into play. (Just wanted to say that as it's not all about gauge which influences the tension.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Is this due to the core?  DR do some round core strings do they not?

Round core string generally have less tension, relatively to the size of the core, than hex core strings.

Also as the tension and gauge of a string increases it naturally becomes stiffer, which at a certain point (determined by a relative relationship between gauge, tension and scale length) inhibits it from vibrating properly, loosing output and sustain as a result, and given it a tendency to sound thuddy and dead.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I use a .125 too. I have tried .130 and .135 but never had anything over .135 on my basses. I like having enough tension in the low B string, but I feel like fatter strings sacrifice clarity, definition and intonation because the extra gauge makes them more rigid. On my Status basses I use their own Hotwire strings which are all taperwound except for the G and I love their quick response and great definition.  

That said, I'm not someone who experiments with strings a lot. I have used Elixir nickels for many years now, and only started using the Status strings because Elixir doesn't do double ball end sets - and stuck with them because I like them a lot. And now my venture into shortscales also forces me to start experimenting again, which is fun so far. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I started using a D'Addario .149 a few years ago on a 4 string ESP Jazz which I usually tune BEAD but sometimes go down to low G#. To me, it feels about the same tension as the .105 I usually use in E. I like a bit of pushback from the string, not into the limp spaghetti feel at all. It's got authoritaaaah and meat. I love it.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 08:34, Baloney Balderdash said:

Round core string generally have less tension, relatively to the size of the core, than hex core strings.

Also as the tension and gauge of a string increases it naturally becomes stiffer, which at a certain point (determined by a relative relationship between gauge, tension and scale length) inhibits it from vibrating properly, loosing output and sustain as a result, and given it a tendency to sound thuddy and dead.

Roundcore and hexcore strings have very similar tension in the same gauge. 

The difference is that roundcore strings are more flexible hence the perceived notion that they have less tension.