Why become a member? ×

Been fascinated by this for years, partly due to the fact that it was two days after I was born, but mainly as it is such a wonderfully 'odd' concept. There is also a longer film available on YouTube for those who may be interested.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was actually there for that program. It was just up the road from where I lived. They used a disused station and brought all the artists in from Manchester Central Station by steam train.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I was actually there for that program. It was just up the road from where I lived. They used a disused station and brought all the artists in from Manchester Central Station by steam train.

Oh wow, what an experience! Sorry, I missed it being only two days old 😀

There are a couple of other bits on YouTube - one is a longer bit of performance, the other is the train journey.

Chorlton-cum-Hardy - now that's a name for a Blues town if ever there was one!

• Haha 1

I would have been 15 at the time and was playing guitar in a local group. I know, took  me a while to see the error in my ways.

We got wind of what was going on and blagged our way in. They were quite glad of the "uninvited" as the weather was pretty miserable and quite a few people who should have been there didn't show. Not sure she was planning on playing "Didn't it Rain", but it did, so she did.

They had the artists on one platform and we were on the other side of the track. From memory it was Granada Television that staged it.

• Like 3

On 07/05/2024 at 07:41, BassBunny said:

How did they keep an upright piano in tune?  What an amazing piece of Vid!

14 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Not much wrong with an upright piano, as long as it has a metal frame. Many (most..?) had wooden frames; they're the ones that can't hold their tuning. They are not, nowadays, considered as 'musical instruments', but as 'furniture'. :friends:

9 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Not much wrong with an upright piano, as long as it has a metal frame. Many (most..?) had wooden frames; they're the ones that can't hold their tuning. They are not, nowadays, considered as 'musical instruments', but as 'furniture'. :friends:

This. 

Plus, back in the day, companies like Granada and the BBC had large teams of technicians. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a piano tuner on the payroll.

One of my first junk-shop vinyl records in '65 - a 78 (yes!) of the good Sister singing 'Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho' - what a voice!

• Like 1