Why become a member? ×

So I have a 1963 precision which I love to bits, however I was concerned about taking her to gigs, not that’s its irreplaceable but I’d hate to see her sprayed Matt black and sold for £250 at cash converters if it ever got stolen.

IMG_0486.thumb.jpeg.e051c95d49e5cef1a54635cca1b81af0.jpeg

I had a Tony Franklin fretless precision a while ago, and it was a superb bass, played extremely well and the build was top notch. I just had no need for it. 

I’d seen the fretted model in pictures but they seem to be like rocking horse sh!t, so when I saw one pop up at Bass Bros I got myself down there sharpish. 
IMG_2759.thumb.jpeg.d929e09495b0c69204f6a4c772c22063.jpeg

I’m playing in a psych rock band now and the precision is a great fit, but occasionally I wanted a little more growl and bite so the three way toggle switch and jazz pick up (I know this sound from the fretless) would be ideal. 
IMG_2757.thumb.jpeg.893b97e6a4c8a54d0e88c23cf0055562.jpeg
I wasn’t disappointed. 
For those that have owned/played a Franklin signature you know where I’m coming from, they easily match the stuff coming from the custom shop. 
For those that haven’t, I’d highly recommend you find someone who has one and try it, it will start your search. 

IMG_2755.thumb.jpeg.e249f98aecafecfd6c235b913f20008b.jpeg
The action is low, I play in drop D and it handles it well, I was disappointed there wasn’t a dtuner on it like the fretless, but I can fix this. 
Anyway it has surpassed my expectations so much the 63 will be up for sale soon, this meets all my requirements. 

IMG_2756.thumb.jpeg.f50a08c8bf21aee395d95635a01c9a2a.jpeg

• Like 18

Great basses, the 63 is killer though, I loved that bass man. I know what you mean re gigging values though, sometimes it doesn’t make financial sense to take something so valuable 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

That 63 is something else, just pause before you do sell. Would take a lot of getting back - is that the one you swapped the Wal(s) for?

I was going to say the same thing. Unless you need the cash, just put it aside for 6 months and if you still don’t want it then you know it won’t become a regret.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

That 63 is something else, just pause before you do sell. Would take a lot of getting back.

I’ve thought long and hard about the 63 for months, it’s a once in a lifetime bass, but for noodling at home it’s just not right. 
My recording days are over or I’d keep it, it’s such a nice tone, the pickups are still hot but so mellow and rich. 
It should be out with someone who can get the most out of it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I’ve thought long and hard about the 63 for months, it’s a once in a lifetime bass, but for noodling at home it’s just not right. 
My recording days are over or I’d keep it, it’s such a nice tone, the pickups are still hot but so mellow and rich. 

Ah man I thought it was going to be a keeper when you bought it from me. However, yeah I agree they are to be played and not just stored 🙂

52 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Pretty much why I moved my ‘63 on. I was happily gigging it and, one day, I just started thinking about it being nicked or damaged (more than it was already, it really was a road warrior). It wasn’t until I bought my JMJ Mustang that I’ve had anything with that tone again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

That 63 is lovely. Another I got to play when Ian bought a bass from me. 

I’ve been playing it tonight, the action is beautiful, I’m sad it has to go but it’s a waste sat under a bed in the case 

• Like 1