Why become a member? ×

Where do you stand in a five piece band

3 hours ago, TimR said:

Stage Right is right hand side looking from the stage towards the audience.

House Right is righthand of the stage looking at the stage from the audience (house). 

The thread had gone too far and wasn't worth trying to correct it now but nice to hear it explained.

I wasn't aware of house right and left, so that's a bonus.

Dave

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The thread had gone too far and wasn't worth trying to correct it now but nice to hear it explained.

Dave

Yes. We also have 'house lights', and 'front of house' PA. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimR said:

Yes. We also have 'house lights', and 'front of house' PA. 

We’ve a front door on our house.  And we have lights on the house at Christmas.  I’ve never tried a PA on the house but we do have a bandstand at the back of the house (for some reason Mrs C thinks it’s called a gazebo). 😊

10 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

We also liked to incorporate little moments where band members made eye contact and faced eachother

This is a big thing with the blues three piece band. I 'react' to Alex's solos and we sometimes trade licks or play complementary lines/riffs. On one sone we sometimes do manic tapping. It all helps create a bit of spectacle.

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:
12 hours ago, TimR said:

Stage Right is right hand side looking from the stage towards the audience.

House Right is righthand of the stage looking at the stage from the audience (house). 

Expand  

Dave

What are PA left and right?

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What are PA left and right?

House Land and Right. 

If you're self operating from the stage turn the PA to face the back if you think it may get confusing. 

Also, it doesn't really matter as everything should be mono. 

7 minutes ago, TimR said:

House Land and Right. 

If you're self operating from the stage turn the PA to face the back if you think it may get confusing. 

Also, it doesn't really matter as everything should be mono. 

So stereo rigs and effects is a lie?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I tend to favour standing to the drummer's right as I often play EUB and sing backing vocals and want to look across the instrument/my hands (when singing) towards the lead singer who is usually centre stage.  It all feels a bit backwards otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:

In a gig situation? Yes. Only a few people will hear them as intended. 

I beg to differ. Both our guitarists in my metal band used stereo FX and would to straight into the PA from their FX rig, and they incorporated panning in their patches. When they both played rhythm one was panned left and one right. When one played lead, both were panned center. Worked a treat, and sounded great in the venue! We got great feedback from both other bands and sound techs. 

Except that one time we had a sound guy walk out on us because he thought it was a stupid idea and he had too little to do. I wish I was making that up, but unfortunately it's a true story :lol:. We played a club in The Hague run by volunteers, and this guy had been grumpy from the moment we arrived at the venue. He really wasn't having it, and wanted us to all send out a mono signal to work with. When we asked if we could do it our usual way, he just got up and left. 

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

I tend to favour standing to the drummer's right as I often play EUB and sing backing vocals and want to look across the instrument/my hands (when singing) towards the lead singer who is usually centre stage.  It all feels a bit backwards otherwise.

That was always my way of thinking until i had to move to the other side and that forced me to play without looking at my left hand which was great when the only bass i used was my Sandberg VM4. When i changed to a Fender or the Godin with less frets it seemed to throw me for a bit until i got more of a feel for the other basses.

Dave

All these people saying they base their position on not having the headstock hitting things - for heaven's sake just go headless, then you only smack the singer round the back of the head if you really want to.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, tauzero said:

All these people saying they base their position on not having the headstock hitting things - for heaven's sake just go headless, then you only smack the singer round the back of the head if you really want to.

Is that not what the "head" stock is for. ? :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

I don't care - more right or left. Don't remember i had a chance to stand at the center ever.

In 3 piece bands i've been in there was no centre stage. Guitarist/singer at one end of stage and bass (me !!!) at other end and we came together in middle for guitar solos on occasion.

Love a 3 piece band tho. When it works it really is the dogs "elbows". :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

In 3 piece bands i've been in there was no centre stage. Guitarist/singer at one end of stage and bass (me !!!) at other end and we came together in middle for guitar solos on occasion.

Dave

3 piece band is a mystery for me, never had a chance. Only 4-8.

• Haha 1

In the 3 piece our guitarist/singer is offset centre/stage left in front of the kit enough for drummer to be seen. Then I'm stage right just to the side of and in front of the kit. 

In the 4 piece it's the same but the guitarist is stage left mirroring me.

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I agree Dave, there is something special about playing in a 3 piece when you get it together.  I find drums, bass and guitar (with a couple of us singing) the easiest line-up to keep tight - I guess because it’s easier to hear 3 band members and lock in together than it is to hear 4 or 5.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Normally on the right side (facing out) of the singer. Which means he often gets hit by the headstock of the bass. Which is why he is much happier since I got the bongo :D

This one?

Bongo8.jpg.7a39809b841b175439ac3c40e92ed

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Simon C said:

I agree Dave, there is something special about playing in a 3 piece when you get it together.  I find drums, bass and guitar (with a couple of us singing) the easiest line-up to keep tight - I guess because it’s easier to hear 3 band members and lock in together than it is to hear 4 or 5.

What's  great about a 3 piece is it's easy to change things or even make it up on the spot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tauzero said:

You mean there are singers where you don't want to?

• Haha 2