Why become a member? ×

Best/good bass amp for chord playing ?

colan

Hello

I'm looking for suggestions for a bass amp for chord playing.  I want to be able to hear all my strings and notes clearly-  not in a rumbly ' lump '

My Fender Rumble 500 is useless for this.  I've tried every possible setting with five different basses. 

10 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Lots of questions…

What bass, strings and pedal set up are you using?

Its easy to blame the amp but worth considering other variables (including technique).

Well, I play a range of basses-  but let's say a Human Base Roxy 5 with round-wounds and no pedals at all.  

I'll post a technique clip for you shortly-   on a cheap Chinese Fodera copy through my desk-top monitors. 

That's quite ' stringy ' as you can hear-  and with good solid  low 'B' response . That's through a pair of Fostex 8" monitors.  The Fender can't reproduce that so I need a gigging bass amp for that stringy sound with chord work. 

32 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

You need large and powerful full range monitors to reproduce that at volume. How much do you want to spend? You aren't going to get away with a couple of hundred quid.

For the sound I want I'll pay what it takes.  What did you have in mind ?

An active PA speaker might be the answer. I use a LD Systems Icoa 15a. Full range, 15" with coaxial horn and 300 watts. £380 new. Copes with my double bass, 5 string high C and my Ekit all at gig volumes and it's clear sounding. 

• Like 4

Defo invest if FRFR speaker. Lots of questions. Do you need an amp to fill a room or just into PA? Budget? What other instruments will you be playing with as the range in this clip can easily get lost if you have many complimentary frequencies from other players like Keys, or guitar? 

I often play chordal pieces. It's more to do with your voicing and technique than gear. Make sure you have no unwanted strings sounding, muting is important. I use a wrap-around string mute, though a hair band will work.

Players I was inspired by with chords were Todd Johnson and Steve Lawson. A lot of my voicings were learned from Steve.

Could be worth looking at what other bassists use that you admire and who play same or similar style.

When i play chords i like a very clean amp sound so maybe something like an EBS, Genz Benz Shuttle, possibly a Markbass would work well.

As others have mentioned earlier a lot depends on your technique and what pick ups you use. I only use the bridge pick up for chordal playing.

I find using my thumb as you do tends to produce a dull or more bass focused tone especially playing up at the neck as you are in the vid clip.

Would maybe drop bass level a touch and boost some mids to sharpen the tone.

What settings you have on the bass itself will affect it too.

All the best with your search and journey and i'm curious to see where you go with it.  I enjoyed your playing and the song so keep us posted.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, colan said:

For the sound I want I'll pay what it takes.  What did you have in mind ?

It depends on what you like. It also depends very much on how much volume you need to produce. You need to audition gear and explore plenty of options. Don't buy on recommendation and don't listen to us. We all suffer from confirmation bias and will tend to suggest what we own or like. You wouldn't like what I use, because I aim for a more fat, old-school sound, so pointless my mentioning it.

As far as dedicated bass gear is concerned, the Barefaced Big Baby or Super Twin are both full range cabs. Other makes are available, but they do have a deserved reputation for being accurate and able to handle power. Pair one (or more) of them with a powerful, transparent head such as a Bergantino Forte and you should be getting warm. Or you could look at a bass preamp plus power-amp rather than a bass head. You need plenty of power and headroom in amplification for a full range sound and to avoid the "rumbly lump".

The other possible route is one or more powered PA cabs (often referred to as FRFR) plus a suitable preamp. I'd strongly suggest ignoring bargain plastic box PA cabs. They are not FRFR (full range, flat response) at anything other than very low volumes, despite claims to the contrary.

You'll have to do your own research as far as prices go, but I'd say you would need to spend a minimum of £2k. If you need high volumes, quite a bit more.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1