Why become a member? ×

Slinger waist strap. Any good for bass?

I have. Used one for for gigging for about 6 months following shoulder surgery, went backcto a regular strap once id recovered sufficienntly.

They're good if you don't mind putting a strap nut on the lower horn. I compromised, used a Harley Benton, but might have thought twice about doing so to my 4003s.

You have to keep the adjustment short so the instrument is close to your body, else when you're hands off it leans outwards alarmingly.  Not a big deal,  but may preclude you from punk bassist antics with the bass rohnd your thighs. 

The only downside for me was that I wear  my bass a touch higher than many folk and the system wasn't really good for that so I had to lump it, but if you're not Phil Lynott you should be OK.

Edited by Bassfinger

This is the red flag for me: "it also relieves the player from the pain and discomfort caused by strapping heavy guitar's and basses over their shoulder." I wouldn't trust anything designed by someone who can't use apostrophes properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Many years ago, I started a thread on the subject of designing some sort of waist strap to take the weight off my shoulder. I bought a padded tool belt from Screwfix and stitched the end of an old strap to it. This then looped over a strap pin that I fixed to the rear of the bass using one of the neck plate bolts. I retained the usual neck strap as a back up. This sort of worked but the bass swung around quite a bit, and I eventually abandoned ther idea. I'm revisiting it now because of a recurrence of my neck and shoulder issues. I'm looking for a fail-safe way of attaching the bass to a padded waist belt that does not require any drilling or modification of the bass at all. Any ideas?

Steve Albini wears his guitar like that - the proper way to wear it according to the man himself 😃

I think he just uses a long strap and wraps it around himself, so you could always give that a go to see how you get on with it?

image.thumb.png.4b041e49fad46260b6377818ee540048.png

6 hours ago, lidl e said:

your man also sells those harness straps. They look ridiculous, but i bet they feel pretty good

https://slingerstraps.com/collections/ergonomic-guitar-straps

throw on a black shirt and you're sorted.

strapback.thumb.jpg.1a1e21b5a998843e1dac1b9c1567e39e.jpg

And on the drive home it looks to any passing copper as if you are indeed wearing your seat belt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1