Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1987 Stingray

With a landmark birthday imminent, I decided to treat myself to new bass. Which would be an upgrade to the two Squier classic vibe bases I’ve been playing for a while. (A Mustang and a Jaguar).

I’ve been down many internet rabbit holes, thinking about options. But haven’t had much of a chance to try out any contenders, given the lack of shops that stock much more than the most popular models. Especially given I was trying to decided if I prefer short or medium scale.

So I decided to make the trip from Cardiff to the Guitar Show in Birmingham last Saturday, to actually touch some basses.

The plan was to check out some basses by Reverend, Sandberg, anything else that might be interesting and pay a visit to the Vintage Bass Room stand to try something a bit more classic (just to see).

I was impressed with basses by Reverend,Sandberg and a couple of lovely medium scale builds from  @Manton Customs.
But none of them made me smile like the vintage basses that @walshy and @AndyTravis where showing off at the Vintage Bass Room stand.

Turns out what I really needed in my life was a well played in 2EQ stingray.

It looks fantastic, but plays and sounds even better. So it came home with me.

I was planning to keep it in its case for over week to make the lead up to the big day exciting. I lasted 24 hours.

Spent about an hour with it yesterday at home, through my Ashdown studio 15 combo. Happily the bass plays and sounds just as good I remember at home.

I’m looking forward to getting into a rehearsal room in a couple of week to see how it sounds with drums and guitar.

Just need to get a proper band sorted so I can get gigging with it.

Here’s a picture at home, much better pics and more details can be found at Vintage Bass Rooms

Thanks @walshy for making it possible for to own such a great instrument, and being great to deal with.

IMG_7980.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kyndainverse said:

With a landmark birthday imminent, I decided to treat myself to new bass. Which would be an upgrade to the two Squier classic vibe bases I’ve been playing for a while. (A Mustang and a Jaguar).

I’ve been down many internet rabbit holes, thinking about options. But haven’t had much of a chance to try out any contenders, given the lack of shops that stock much more than the most popular models. Especially given I was trying to decided if I prefer short or medium scale.

So I decided to make the trip from Cardiff to the Guitar Show in Birmingham last Saturday, to actually touch some basses.

The plan was to check out some basses by Reverend, Sandberg, anything else that might be interesting and pay a visit to the Vintage Bass Room stand to try something a bit more classic (just to see).

I was impressed with basses by Reverend,Sandberg and a couple of lovely medium scale builds from  @Manton Customs.
But none of them made me smile like the vintage basses that @walshy and @AndyTravis where showing off at the Vintage Bass Room stand.

Turns out what I really needed in my life was a well played in 2EQ stingray.

It looks fantastic, but plays and sounds even better. So it came home with me.

I was planning to keep it in its case for over week to make the lead up to the big day exciting. I lasted 24 hours.

Spent about an hour with it yesterday at home, through my Ashdown studio 15 combo. Happily the bass plays and sounds just as good I remember at home.

I’m looking forward to getting into a rehearsal room in a couple of week to see how it sounds with drums and guitar.

Just need to get a proper band sorted so I can get gigging with it.

Here’s a picture at home, much better pics and more details can be found at Vintage Bass Rooms

Thanks @walshy for making it possible for to own such a great instrument, and being great to deal with.

IMG_7980.jpeg

Great to meet you mate and so glad you decided to take it home, even after the 4th visit and walk back to your car in the rain before you came back in and bought it. Judging by the smile on your face when you were playing it, it was definitely ‘the one’ for you. It was a very very good Ray and I reckon we could’ve sold another 10 of them if we had them.

Enjoy it and I’m glad it was only left in the case for 24 hours, about 23 1/2 hours longer than I would’ve waited 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It was an absolute pleasure Andy. Great fun - having been in similar positions before myself I was totally with you on the ride.

I must admit - had it not gone home with you (it 100% would have…with someone) I was actually thinking how to pay for it myself.

A very cool bass.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff. I’m about to join you in Stingray ownership, after thinking about buying one for about 20 years I’ve actually gone and done it now! When you are figuring out the tone controls let us know how you get on as I’ll be on the same journey. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Great stuff. I’m about to join you in Stingray ownership, after thinking about buying one for about 20 years I’ve actually gone and done it now! When you are figuring out the tone controls let us know how you get on as I’ll be on the same journey. 

A great tip I read on here, possibly by Stingray Pete, is volume up, dial in the right amount of bass that suits your girth/heft/punch requirements, then think of the treble control as a passive tone control and dial in your tone from there. 

It certainly works and makes easy sense too!

Great, now I've got Stingray gas again! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

A great tip I read on here, possibly by Stingray Pete, is volume up, dial in the right amount of bass that suits your girth/heft/punch requirements, then think of the treble control as a passive tone control and dial in your tone from there. 

It certainly works and makes easy sense too!

Great, now I've got Stingray gas again! 

Thanks very much.  That sound like a good way to think about it.  

I’m resisting posting the shop’s photos of my new bass, but am really excited at its arrival next week. 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 17:17, Thunderpaws said:

So far I’ve just turned everything all the way up and then roll off whatever I want less off. But I’m no expert.