Why become a member? ×

Suspicious buyer alert on Reverb

ead

7 minutes ago, nightraven said:

Nothing wrong with WFH at all — I wish my job were WFHable, but I definitely don't resent those with the luxury. I was only making a quip at the previous poster who got defensive all of a sudden about their "20+ years IT job" being trivialised, when there's a strong likelihood that it's the sort of role where nobody other than their boss would actually notice if they stopped logging into 'slack' or whatever.

LOL, my example was far more relevant to the discussion than the person bragging about their university degree.

I have to say quite bluntly that if this is the fashion in which you intend to continue with your contributions, I don't think I want to be part of the discussion any longer. There are people here who have contributions to make based on various life experiences, and I don't think we're ranking them based on whose is most relevant, much less taking each other to task on their knowledge/experience. Broad generalisations about the work and experience of somebody that you don't know really isn't fair.

But, for what it's worth, give me somebody degree educated with 20+ years of experience any day over somebody that was a mod on a forum when they were 17.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never thought I’d scroll onto a thread about a reverb scammer and be met with network talk. 

The IP block person did say a slightly correct bit; you want to inconvenience the attacker. Any system on this planet has a way in. It’s a case of making it really awkward and annoying to the attacking source. Generally slow them down until they get bored. Obviously, this won’t apply to higher level players quite so well. 

That doesn’t mean that blocking an IP/range would work. Like people said, it’s a very broad strokes approach and will burn loads of people/potential customers for very little gain. 

People, Process, Technology. Teach people to be more cautious, have processes in place to ensure they are protected, have systems in place to block accounts etc.

Anyway, on a scam related note; I wanted to grab a HX Stomp in case my QC dies. Saw one on a bass group on Facebook for a reasonable but slightly cheaper than usual and messaged the guy. Very quickly I was asked to transfer money into his girlfriend or wife’s account…then another random account. Bit of a red flag moment. I was out with my wife for a weekend away and didn’t open my phone for hours. He had messaged me loads of times throughout the night 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, woodyratm said:

this is one of my favourite hacking scenes ever. So silly. 

Ah yes, one person at a keyboard isn't working? Adding a second clearly won't get in the way... Also I do prefer to add nonsense on screen while I hack someone's computer. Really let them know they're being hacked! 🤣

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NEW REVERB SCAM ALERT!!!

Got an 'offer' (of the listed price) from an account called "Your Shop is Blocked":

👋 𝗗𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗦𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗿, 𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗚𝗿𝗲𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗥𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗯 𝗦𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗔𝘀𝘀𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗧𝗲𝗮𝗺! ⚠️ 𝗢𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝘆𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗺! 🔴 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗺 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝘂𝘆𝗲𝗿, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗮𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗲𝗱, 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗲𝗺𝗽𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝘂𝗻𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁 𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝗼𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗮𝘆𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝘂𝘆𝗲𝗿. ➡️ 𝗧𝗼 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝗼𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗲, 𝗳𝗼𝗹𝗹𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺 𝗮 𝘀𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻:https://reverb.offer5691.com/528804573941

Clicking on the account the offer is from, an error message appears saying the account is disabled.

• Like 1

"Dear seller"... instant fail.  Genuine communications use your name.  That's not a gimme and certainly shouldn't be the only criteria one uses to maintain online safety, but this one falls at the first hurdle...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

"Dear seller"... instant fail.  Genuine communications use your name.  That's not a gimme and certainly shouldn't be the only criteria one uses to maintain online safety, but this one falls at the first hurdle...

You'd think they'd have a forum where they share and compare scams 😂

• Haha 4

I have a few things for sale on Discogs at the minute - pretty niche stuff, so they've been sitting a few weeks. Got a nibble yesterday, and somebody apparently purchased one of the records. The order had "ADDRESS VERIFICATION" on it several times, and a minute later I got an email from Discogs saying that the person trying to buy the record has now been banned, and I should ignore the order email.

A few minutes later, I got another email from Discogs saying I had sold another record. Given that these have been sitting for a while with no interest, it seemed unusual that I would sell 2 so closely together, and this right after a scammer tried to buy another one, so I held my nerve. I then got an email, supposedly from Discogs, using vague terminology again (dear seller, etc) saying that I needed to verify my account, with a link to a place where I can easily hand over all my information. I sat on it again, and a few minutes later, Discogs emailed me to say that this buyer had also been banned.

So that was my little drama yesterday evening.

• Sad 2